Why is obesity considered deviant behavior?

Options

Replies

• ambernbarrier
    ambernbarrier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Why is obesity considered deviant behavior when we throw gobs of money at research for cures of ADHD, Bipolar disorder, cancer, etc. but almost none towards obesity? Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust. It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese. Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

As a society we also have to demand healthier products from the Food Industry and call the Food Industry on their so-called research to prove additives such as MSG and HFCS are safe. By making demands, I don't mean passing laws but refusing to eat at establishments that use trans fats, too much sugar, HFCS, and MSG. Hit the Food Industry where it counts - in the wallet. Americans need to take a more active role in their health and know that a pill will not cure everything.

The cure is already known, stop shoving food in your mouth and eat less, maybe move a little more as well.

And please stop with the tinfoil hat stuff with HFCS and MSG, metabolically speaking, how is HFCS different from sucrose and how is MSG different than glutamate?
    it is not that simple. Stop shoving food in your mouth will only serve to cause severe eating disorders, malnutrition and bad eating habits I will ask that you refrain from exposing your harsh opinion of obese people. Did it ever occur to you that he was talking about the knowledge if nutrition? Because honestly I personally have an entire family that has never portioned anything in their lives. They knew nothing about how to be healthy. All foods that are easily available and affordable to the general public are unhealthy. Sure there are healthy choices as well, but with the family we currently have teaching is the wrong habits, subliminal messages in tv teaching us eating more is better. He is right, by boycotting the establishments that are assisting this, by not providing a healthy choice, and labeling all of their food as to the caloric nutrition, along with what vitamins and minerals it includes/ does not include; it will force a change. In fact it is the only thing as consumers we have power over. However in the mean time it is up to the individual to learn about nutrition. And make healthier choices, ongoing. I myself am only now approaching that I started 3 months ago and am 26 pounds down and 124 more pounds to go.

Congrats on your weightloss

How exactly would telling someone to stop shoving food in their mouths lead to severe eating disorders, malnutrition and a host of other problems?
    All foods that are easily available and affordable to the general public are unhealthy

O rly? I like how you talk in absolutes like that
    He is right, by boycotting the establishments that are assisting this, by not providing a healthy choice, and labeling all of their food as to the caloric nutrition, along with what vitamins and minerals it includes/ does not include; it will force a change

The healthiness of a choice depends on the amount and context of how it fits into your total diet, and labeling is a complete waste of time and money and has been shown to be largely ineffective at changing consumer behavior
    thank you, in my thrive to getting healthier I have found people who start off being overweight, are stuck with a nasty image of themself due to comments like this. In fact it has negatively impacted their self image so horribly they become anorexic, bulemic, and basically crash diet. If you start on such a course, it gets really dangerous very quickly and is so hard to come out of. Much like obesity but in reverse. A couple friends I know personally went through this and nearly died. They are still recovering. It can rob them of a chance to learn how to safely lose weight and not learn what true nutrition is. Also keep in mind this site has no age limit. There are younger individuals on here that are impressionable here.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This is such an interesting topic!!
    I may not be popular for my opinion but I feel it is a persons choice. They should be held accountable. Take control of your life, educate yourself, and be responsible!!
    But...
    I also have the same attitude towards alcohol and drug issues. I take a hard stance when it comes to personal choices. Make smart ones.....
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Why is obesity considered deviant behavior when we throw gobs of money at research for cures of ADHD, Bipolar disorder, cancer, etc. but almost none towards obesity? Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust. It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese. Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

As a society we also have to demand healthier products from the Food Industry and call the Food Industry on their so-called research to prove additives such as MSG and HFCS are safe. By making demands, I don't mean passing laws but refusing to eat at establishments that use trans fats, too much sugar, HFCS, and MSG. Hit the Food Industry where it counts - in the wallet. Americans need to take a more active role in their health and know that a pill will not cure everything.

The cure is already known, stop shoving food in your mouth and eat less, maybe move a little more as well.

And please stop with the tinfoil hat stuff with HFCS and MSG, metabolically speaking, how is HFCS different from sucrose and how is MSG different than glutamate?
    it is not that simple. Stop shoving food in your mouth will only serve to cause severe eating disorders, malnutrition and bad eating habits I will ask that you refrain from exposing your harsh opinion of obese people. Did it ever occur to you that he was talking about the knowledge if nutrition? Because honestly I personally have an entire family that has never portioned anything in their lives. They knew nothing about how to be healthy. All foods that are easily available and affordable to the general public are unhealthy. Sure there are healthy choices as well, but with the family we currently have teaching is the wrong habits, subliminal messages in tv teaching us eating more is better. He is right, by boycotting the establishments that are assisting this, by not providing a healthy choice, and labeling all of their food as to the caloric nutrition, along with what vitamins and minerals it includes/ does not include; it will force a change. In fact it is the only thing as consumers we have power over. However in the mean time it is up to the individual to learn about nutrition. And make healthier choices, ongoing. I myself am only now approaching that I started 3 months ago and am 26 pounds down and 124 more pounds to go.

How exactly would telling someone to stop shoving food in their mouths lead to severe eating disorders, malnutrition and a host of other problems?
    All foods that are easily available and affordable to the general public are unhealthy

He is right, by boycotting the establishments that are assisting this, by not providing a healthy choice, and labeling all of their food as to the caloric nutrition, along with what vitamins and minerals it includes/ does not include; it will force a change

The healthiness of a choice depends on the amount and context of how it fits into your total diet, and labeling is a complete waste of time and money and has been shown to be largely ineffective at changing consumer behavior

I agree with Acg67. Posts like this make me crazy. It's society's fault. It's my parents' fault. It's McDonald's fault. It's those darn fast food commercials' fault. The fast food places should be boycotted until they teach me nutrition. Good grief.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    If we take a stab at working on those factors instead of just saying calling people mentally weak, we'll have a much better shot at helping them. Shaking your head and writing someone of as simply making bad choices, consciously moving themselves closer to death, never helped for smokers or heavy drinkers. Yes, choice is a part of it, but it's extremely important to continue the search for tools that make that choice more viable in people's minds.

Yet you're calling them mentally weak yourself by implying that people are incapable of deciding to take care of themselves unless someone invents a "tool" that influences them to "want" to take care of their health.
    sad to say neither one of you are helping this thread. All you are doing is arguing. I ask that you all, please retread the initial post. This thread is to discuss, why people have such poor opinions of obese people, when there are soo many factors of reasons obesity is claiming the lives of millions. He is proposing that we as enlightened individuals, take a stand in, educating, and helping to reduce at least the most prominent establishments that are not helping to make people healthier. Because let's face it we all have our reasons for being obese. But most of us, simply are addicted to food. And it has a lot to do with tv commercials, poor nutrition knowledge, and the theme bigger is better. Also in case you haven't noticed we are all in the same boat. All people here are here for one reason. To get healthier. So please stop this arguing and become proactive in this discussion not negative. We get enough of that in our society. You never know who is going to read this thread, and how your comments will effect their weight loss and road to being healthy. Please lead by example. Be the change you want to see.

Not one business needs to be closed because of obesity.

We are not addicted to food. We like it, it's tasty, it also keeps us alive. That isn't addiction. It belittles people with real addictions and chemical dependencies to pretend we're all addicts because we enjoy food.

Your view is not the end of the discussion. It's one tiny voice among millions.

I have lead by example. I lost the weight. Even inspired others to do the same. No lawsuits, no legislation, no big brother monitoring everyone's lives.
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    This is such an interesting topic!!
    I may not be popular for my opinion but I feel it is a person choice. They should be held accountable. Take control of your life, educate yourself, and be responsible!!
    But...
    I also have the same attitude towards alcohol and drug issues. I take a hard stance when it comes to personal choices. Make smart ones.....
    may not be popular but I agree :)
  • ambernbarrier
    Options

I agree with Acg67. Posts like this make me crazy. It's society's fault. It's my parents' fault. It's McDonald's fault. It's those darn fast food commercials' fault. The fast food places should be boycotted until they teach me nutrition. Good grief.
    not exactly what I meant. What I meant, is the ones, that are not giving substantial nutritional facts about what they serve, and have little to no health benefits, should be forced to start informing people, how many calories per serving, how much protein per serving. I truly and honestly had no clue what I was doing to my body, now that I know, I have made personal choices to correct them. However so many people out there do not know what they are doing to their bodies. I agree personal choice is 90 percent of getting healthy. But without being enlightened first, how does one know a change is needed?
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

I don't think Government intervention is necessarily the right idea, but I'd love it if everyone who coughs and shoots me dirty looks when I (like Brett) light up, would also make disgusted faces when obese people walk out of McDonalds, then we will make some positive progress in changing our culture from one of welcoming acceptance toward Obesity to fighting it for the scourge it really is.

I think that's a modest proposal.

You've never been obese. the disgusted faces happen daily to someone who is. My favorite is when it happens at the gym. I am doing the right thing, and steadily losing weight. Sorry if I'm not 'pretty' enough while doing it for some people :-)
  • ambernbarrier
    Options

I don't think Government intervention is necessarily the right idea, but I'd love it if everyone who coughs and shoots me dirty looks when I (like Brett) light up, would also make disgusted faces when obese people walk out of McDonalds, then we will make some positive progress in changing our culture from one of welcoming acceptance toward Obesity to fighting it for the scourge it really is.

You've never been obese. the disgusted faces happen daily to someone who is. My favorite is when it happens at the gym. I am doing the right thing, and steadily losing weight. Sorry if I'm not 'pretty' enough while doing it for some people :-)
    I agree.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's my response to everyone who's taken issue with what I've said:

I'm looking at things from an epidemiological perspective, which basically means when you see measurable significant increase in a health problem (whether or not you choose to call it a disease is up to you) over time, it's time to take a look at how that problem is being addressed (by individuals with the problem and by professionals), find out what's not working and try something new, ideally with the objective of finding something that works and can be replicated with the same results. The reality in the developed world today is that many societal factors have contributed to a continued trend towards higher percentages of obesity. I don't think any of you are arguing that the population at large has become progressively lazier or that self-control has naturally decreased overall over the past few decades (if you are, stop reading, we are not on the same logic train and you will not like what I have to say), so what gives? Yes, on a PERSONAL level, YOU have to make the decision, and continue to do so repeatedly, but for whatever reason(s), some already clear, others maybe not, there's an overall trend towards not making that decision. My point throughout this thread has been that it is entirely valid and important for the overall health of the develped societies most of us live in (otherwise you would likely not be on the internet often or need to lose weight and use a website to help you do that) for scientists to be looking for new ways to make healthy choices easier to make. I understand the "I had to walk to school in the snow, they should have to too" mentality, good for all of you for doing it the hard way, but how can researching ways to help others kick their unhealthy habits be so offensive to so many of you?
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    If we take a stab at working on those factors instead of just saying calling people mentally weak, we'll have a much better shot at helping them. Shaking your head and writing someone of as simply making bad choices, consciously moving themselves closer to death, never helped for smokers or heavy drinkers. Yes, choice is a part of it, but it's extremely important to continue the search for tools that make that choice more viable in people's minds.

Yet you're calling them mentally weak yourself by implying that people are incapable of deciding to take care of themselves unless someone invents a "tool" that influences them to "want" to take care of their health.
    sad to say neither one of you are helping this thread. All you are doing is arguing. I ask that you all, please retread the initial post. This thread is to discuss, why people have such poor opinions of obese people, when there are soo many factors of reasons obesity is claiming the lives of millions. He is proposing that we as enlightened individuals, take a stand in, educating, and helping to reduce at least the most prominent establishments that are not helping to make people healthier. Because let's face it we all have our reasons for being obese. But most of us, simply are addicted to food. And it has a lot to do with tv commercials, poor nutrition knowledge, and the theme bigger is better. Also in case you haven't noticed we are all in the same boat. All people here are here for one reason. To get healthier. So please stop this arguing and become proactive in this discussion not negative. We get enough of that in our society. You never know who is going to read this thread, and how your comments will effect their weight loss and road to being healthy. Please lead by example. Be the change you want to see.

Not one business needs to be closed because of obesity.

We are not addicted to food. We like it, it's tasty, it also keeps us alive. That isn't addiction. It belittles people with real addictions and chemical dependencies to pretend we're all addicts because we enjoy food.

Your view is not the end of the discussion. It's one tiny voice among millions.

I have lead by example. I lost the weight. Even inspired others to do the same. No lawsuits, no legislation, no big brother monitoring everyone's lives.
    speak for yourself I went through actual withdrawals much like a drug addict when I changed my diet. You have no idea what I personally went through. Night sweats, headaches, sick to my stomach etc. and no I wasn't sick, it was my body reacting to such a severe change. I still have to fight my addiction to fried foods.
  • kimberly6106
    Options
    I honestly think food is not the root of the problem. Our society has gotten lazy and sedentary with easy access to everything. Our grandparents ate tons of lard and butter but had to work much harder and walk more places to live their day to day lives.

I agree 100% Desk jobs and our sedentary lifestyles are the real problem!
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    Ok, here's my response to everyone who's taken issue with what I've said:

I'm looking at things from an epidemiological perspective, which basically means when you see measurable significant increase in a health problem (whether or not you choose to call it a disease is up to you) over time, it's time to take a look at how that problem is being addressed (by individuals with the problem and by professionals), find out what's not working and try something new, ideally with the objective of finding something that works and can be replicated with the same results. The reality in the developed world today is that many societal factors have contributed to a continued trend towards higher percentages of obesity. I don't think any of you are arguing that the population at large has become progressively lazier or that self-control has naturally decreased overall over the past few decades (if you are, stop reading, we are not on the same logic train and you will not like what I have to say), so what gives? Yes, on a PERSONAL level, YOU have to make the decision, and continue to do so repeatedly, but for whatever reason(s), some already clear, others maybe not, there's an overall trend towards not making that decision. My point throughout this thread has been that it is entirely valid and important for the overall health of the develped societies most of us live in (otherwise you would likely not be on the internet often or need to lose weight and use a website to help you do that) for scientists to be looking for new ways to make healthy choices easier to make. I understand the "I had to walk to school in the snow, they should have to too" mentality, good for all of you for doing it the hard way, but how can researching ways to help others kick their unhealthy habits be so offensive to so many of you?
    yes personal choices are 90 percent of the battle. And if you choose not to make a change, then it is your fault your not healthy. However if one is not properly informed, one can not make a proper decision. Everything else I agree.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

I agree.

I've never been obese?!

Anyway, even though explaining a joke spoils a joke, the post that you quote above subtly cited Jonathan Swift's renowned piece of satire, "A Modest Proposal", which proposed that poor Irish should sell their children to the rich as food.
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the REAL problem is but something has got to change. Genetics have something to do with it as well.
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    I honestly think food is not the root of the problem. Our society has gotten lazy and sedentary with easy access to everything. Our grandparents ate tons of lard and butter but had to work much harder and walk more places to live their day to day lives.

I agree 100% Desk jobs and our sedentary lifestyles are the real problem!
    i have a desk job, that is not the problem. I have lost 26 pounds in less than 3 months still have a desk job. Knowledge about nutrition, and exercise is the issue.
  • ambernbarrier
    Options

I agree.

I've never been obese?!

Anyway, even though explaining a joke spoils a joke, the post that you quote above subtly cited Jonathan Swift's renowned piece of satire, "A Modest Proposal", which proposed that poor Irish should sell their children to the rich as food.
    sorry I should have specified I was agreeing with you burt I quoted wrong post. Lol darn iPhone.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Economic influences contribute to obesity (low income areas have less access to fresh fruits and vegetables) and education hasn't been there for some people.
    Depression, abuse, etc.. also lead to obesity. Substituting food for affection, feeding depression, etc.
    It's easy to attack those you don't understand. You don't ridicule alcoholics or drug addicts for their choices, why is it so easy to do that to food addicts?

You would think that people on a website geared towards health and weight loss would be a bit more compassionate. I haven't seen that to be the case yet.

^^^^^Well said!
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    I don't know what the REAL problem is but something has got to change. Genetics have something to do with it as well.
    yes some people are more prone to putting on weight than others. My husband makes me sick he can eat anything he wants and lose weight.
  • ambernbarrier
    Options
    Economic influences contribute to obesity (low income areas have less access to fresh fruits and vegetables) and education hasn't been there for some people.
    Depression, abuse, etc.. also lead to obesity. Substituting food for affection, feeding depression, etc.
    It's easy to attack those you don't understand. You don't ridicule alcoholics or drug addicts for their choices, why is it so easy to do that to food addicts?

You would think that people on a website geared towards health and weight loss would be a bit more compassionate. I haven't seen that to be the case yet.

^^^^^Well said!
    well said I concur with all the above.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    speak for yourself I went through actual withdrawals much like a drug addict when I changed my diet. You have no idea what I personally went through. Night sweats, headaches, sick to my stomach etc. and no I wasn't sick, it was my body reacting to such a severe change. I still have to fight my addiction to fried foods.

Yep. I was never fat. Not for my whole life. I've always been in shape and I'm just here to pick on people. I certainly didn't spend decades of my life eating so poorly it would make your head spin.

Real support isn't always telling people it's not their fault and food is to blame. Want to change your life? Take responsibility for it.