Avocados - I love them, but their so high in calories?

Options

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I just eat the avocado even when it's gone brown (like a day or two sliced in the fridge), tastes fine to me. Wonder if it's bad for you....
    No it won't be bad for you. It's just oxidised so the colour is changed but drizzle it with lime or lemon and it won't happen and it's better to keep it in a bigger peice too instead or sliced especially with the skin on and pop the seed back in if you can then wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Avocados are great--do not fear them! Just budget for their caloric density. I usually have half an avocado at a time, as that is easier to work into my calories than a whole. Avocados are so yummy and very good for you...lots of vitamins and fibre.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I eat half an avocado with salt and pepper as a snack sometimes, I absolutely love it. Something I could eat all day, every day.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I ate 1/4 of an avocado (1.4oz) in my sandwich tonight. It was 63 calories. That really doesn't seem high to me.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I ate 1/4 of an avocado (1.4oz) in my sandwich tonight. It was 63 calories. That really doesn't seem high to me.

It's high for people that are on a VLC diet and maybe shouldn't be. I have 1/3 to half of one each time I have a salad. Love it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For the past two mornings I have eaten a whole avocado and a slice of homemade multigrain toast....freaking delicious!
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?

When you cut it in half, leave the seed in the half you are going to save, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refridgerator. It should stay fresh for a day or two. I usually eat 1/2 at a time so I do this often. Enjoy!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is where I believe that the quality of calories is so important---that is the benefits of avocados "outweighs" the negatives.
    Of course all things in moderation---if I have to trade off some less nutritious calories to eat my beloved organic avocados-- I do it!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    1 ounce is 50 cals and plenty for a serving IMO
  • ckopeny1
    ckopeny1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat enough avocado, I constantly crave them. They are full of health benefits which can aid as an anti-Inflammatory, they contain omega 3's, beneficial fats and on and on and on :)
  • ckopeny1
    ckopeny1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Leave the seed in the half that you do not eat, store in the fridge. You need to eat it within a day or two max. :)
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I used to meticulously meld a piece of plastic wrap to the cut surfaces of my leftover avocado, pressing out air bubbles to get rid of the dreaded brown spots, until I found out you can store a cut up avocado submerged in water in a container overnight. They're so high in fat that they won't absorb the water that quickly, and that way they're not exposed to ANY air..

The only thing the citrus and pit tricks do is keep less of the surface area exposed to air. I've found the water trick works so much better.

On avocado storage & ripening: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-the-best-guacamole-avocados-science-browning-ripening.html?ref=search

I do a similar water thing...I cut in half and then put it cut side down in a container with about an inch of water spiked with lemon juice. I've had it keep for up to 3 days that way.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    moderation? avocados? really?

eat them as much as you want.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Also, I probably eat more avocados than most people, and have lost nearly 50 lbs regardless...

Oh dear...I read this over too quickly and saw "I eat more avocados than people"

Whoops!!!!
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?

I share with another person.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Avocados = good fat and cals.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

and they're good for you. Eat them. In moderation.

:love:
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Avocado is actually pretty low-calorie for being so fatty (you can eat half an avocado for the same calories as 1 serving of mayo). They're seriously good for you and help keep you full. Eat them.
    This! I will often use it as a spread on a sandwich instead of mayo... something I mix it with a little cayenne pepper for kick!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I don't think I like avocado's that much. Can someone recommend a good simple starter dish way of having them for the non believers?
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Avocado is actually pretty low-calorie for being so fatty (you can eat half an avocado for the same calories as 1 serving of mayo). They're seriously good for you and help keep you full. Eat them.
    This! I will often use it as a spread on a sandwich instead of mayo... something I mix it with a little cayenne pepper for kick!

Ooh, good suggestion on the cayenne. I am definitely trying that!