Avocados - I love them, but their so high in calories?

Options
12346»

Replies

• lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have skin issues and constantly watch how much good fats I get in my diet avacados arent my favorite taste but neither are brussel sprouts so I include like half of one in smoothies to help with nails hair and skin. Almonds are another one of those complex food with the higher calories but so much good fat ... its better to eat the good fats than the bad ones and they are hunger busters for sure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi I saw a recipe posted today that had avocado & shrimp, two of my favourite ingredients. However calorie wise an avocado is really high. I've heard it said that it is a good fat ?

Avocados are nutrient dense whole foods...they are very good for you. They are chalk full of nutrients, including hear healthy fats among other things. Yes...you actually do need fat...most people don't get enough good fats like those that come from avocado, nuts, olive oil, fish, etc. Also, calorie dense =/= bad food.

From this...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/237285-what-are-the-benefits-of-eating-avocados/
    Perhaps like many Americans, you avoid avocados because you've heard about their high fat content. While this creamy, green fruit does have its share of fat, it also comes packed with nutrients that can help keep you healthy, as summarized on Avocado.org, the website of the California Avocado Commission. Besides, the fat is the monounsaturated kind that's good for your heart. Vitamins, minerals and substances linked to reduced cancer risk; avocados have it all so maybe it's time to take another look.

Carotenoids

No one food can cure or prevent all disease and cancer but some nutrients, such as those in avocados, have protective benefits that you should know about. Carotenoids play a potential role in cancer and disease prevention. The most prevalent carotenoid in avocados, lutein, may help you avoid macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in older adults, according to a 2003 article in Annual Review of Nutrition. Another study by published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry showed that an avocado extract also inhibited the growth of prostate cancer cells.

Vitamins

Avocado.org explains the nutritional advantage of avocados, showing that they provide you with a very high density of nutrients, including at least 4 percent of the daily requirement per serving of vitamins C, E, B6 and K. A serving of avocado--1/5th of a fruit--also provides a significant amount of folate. This B-vitamin, recognized for its importance in heart health, also plays a critical role in the development of your unborn baby's nervous system.

Monounsaturated Fats and Cholesterol

Avoiding all fats in your diet isn't only unnecessary, but also unhealthy. The American Heart Association specifically mentions avocados on its website as a recommended source of monounsaturated fat. These fats help to reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke by lowering LDL, the bad cholesterol and raising HDL, the good cholesterol.

Nutrient Absorption

The good fats in avocados have another benefit, too. One study reported in the Journal of Nutrition in 2005 confirmed that adding avocado to your salad or salsa allows you to absorb more of those all-important carotenoids from other fruits and vegetables. In other words, avocado helps you maximize the nutritional value of your whole meal.

Minerals and Electrolytes

Avocados also supply minerals such as magnesium and electrolytes including potassium, says the California Avocado Commission. Both of these required nutrients contribute to proper function of your cells, muscles and organs. If you add in the fact that they are sodium and cholesterol free and use them in moderation as part of a sensible diet, the benefits of eating avocados become even more evident.