Diet sodas are not bad after all!!!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I did read that article, and there is nothing in there about the receptors it does hit in the brain. Artificial sweeteners hit the brain the same way as an illegal drug would giving you a false satisfaction. Not the natural satisfaction that a NATURAL SUGAR would. The study even admits that it tested ONLY a small group of people ALL of which are trying to lose weight (i.e. not a versified group of individuals). The study was also looking to see if artificial sweeteners caused you to over-consume because of how sweet they are not because of the action they have on the brain. I think that you will consume more calories simply because you DID NOT eat what your body is CRAVING which is SUGAR! Simply put if it does not taste, smell, or act like it....THEN IT"S NOT IT! There is undeniable proof natural is better, and problems arise when we mess with the natural things. It is like a ripple effect in a still pool of water. Do not mess with it and you do not have to fix it. Do not abuse it and it becomes a non-issue.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I did read that article, and there is nothing in there about the receptors it does hit in the brain. Artificial sweeteners hit the brain the same way as an illegal drug would giving you a false satisfaction. Not the natural satisfaction that a NATURAL SUGAR would. The study even admits that it tested ONLY a small group of people ALL of which are trying to lose weight (i.e. not a versified group of individuals). The study was also looking to see if artificial sweeteners caused you to over-consume because of how sweet they are not because of the action they have on the brain. I think that you will consume more calories simply because you DID NOT eat what your body is CRAVING which is SUGAR! Simply put if it does not taste, smell, or act like it....THEN IT"S NOT IT! There is undeniable proof natural is better, and problems arise when we mess with the natural things. It is like a ripple effect in a still pool of water. Do not mess with it and you do not have to fix it. Do not abuse it and it becomes a non-issue.

No.

Aspartame does not cross the blood/brain barrier, only it's metabolites do. Those metabolites (phenylalanine, aspartic acid, methanol) are all found in MUCH higher quantities in other foods like fish, poultry, dairy, citrus fruits, tomatoes, strawberries, etc.
  • Lmullaney79
    Lmullaney79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can find a study to support almost any view, good or bad.

Truth.

Also, I feel undeniably better not drinking it. That's study enough for me.

totally.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options

No.

Aspartame does not cross the blood/brain barrier, only it's metabolites do. Those metabolites (phenylalanine, aspartic acid, methanol) are all found in MUCH higher quantities in other foods like fish, poultry, dairy, citrus fruits, tomatoes, strawberries, etc.

I understand how the anatomy/ physiology of how the body breaks a compound down that we consume. However, since studies are inconclusive either way, I will stick to my philosophy of natural is the best choice. Besides why risk it when there is data that shows it MAYBE linked to seizures, Alzheimer's, cancer ( understanding some carcinogens are unavoidable unless you live in a bubble), ect. It boils down to... THERE ARE A TON OF BETTER OPTIONS to choose from. Agave, Coconut Palm sugar, even Stevia (although it is not my favorite) Why go synthetic? With all that has been said, It is your choice to put it in your body or not just like smoking, drinking, ect. I choose to not :smile: !
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Also, understand that yes, your body breaks down other foods into the same basic compounds (on a MUCH smaller scale). Did you stop to think about it is because of the large quantity in which aspartame is consumed that could be the problem here? We are talking about how quickly the body can detoxify from the bi-products of said chemicals. Think about how many strawberries (solid filled with fiber too) you can eat vs. how much diet soda (liquid without other nutritional content) you can consume. Now think of how the body detoxifies (liver). Think of where toxins are stored when the body can not rid them fast enough (fat). Do you see how this could be a problem? Maybe not, if your not looking at that FULL picture of the problem. So like I said we are talking about Natural vs. Synthetic. The body views and treats it differently on more then one level.
  • NikoM5
    Options
    Studies are FAR from inconclusive either way. EVERY good study shows Aspartame is safe. There are more studies of aspartame than pretty much any other food additive ever. 92 countries have deemed it safe for consumption.

The amounts of each of aspartame's metabolites are MINISCULE when compared to those found in natural foods.

The upper level that is still considered a SAFE amount of Aspartame is around 22 cans a day! And that's still perfectly safe.

Natural Vs synthetic means nothing. There are plenty of naturally occurring things that are highly toxic.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion and nobody is saying Aspartame is good for you, however ALL the credible, scientific evidence says it's safe.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Opinion is Opinion and nothing more! I have to wonder what studies your reading that I am not, and who funded those studies (i.e. the soft drink co.)?
  • NikoM5
    Options
    Opinion is Opinion and nothing more! I have to wonder what studies your reading that I am not, and who funded those studies (i.e. the soft drink co.)?

You're not reading sound, peer reviewed, scientific studies, I can tell you that much. How do I know? Because there are NONE that exist showing negative effects of aspartame on the general population. Of course in the face of science and logic the "funding" argument always comes up because there is no other argument. Even if a study were done by Monsanto themselves they would still have to go through peer review. Just FYI there have been "scientific" studies showing negative effects, however ALL of them had MAJOR flaws in their execution. There are also plenty of blogs, articles, and opinion pieces against aspartame but without critical review these are not worth the paper or pixels they're printed on. There are more studies on Aspartame than any other food additive and if you want to believe that every single one of those studies was the result of some kind of corporate payoff conspiracy then well, as you say.. "opinions are opinions"
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    Fizzy drinks are vile. Glad i gave them up 2 years ago.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options

You're not reading sound, peer reviewed, scientific studies, I can tell you that much. How do I know? Because there are NONE that exist showing negative effects of aspartame on the general population. Of course in the face of science and logic the "funding" argument always comes up because there is no other argument. Even if a study were done by Monsanto themselves they would still have to go through peer review. Just FYI there have been "scientific" studies showing negative effects, however ALL of them had MAJOR flaws in their execution. There are also plenty of blogs, articles, and opinion pieces against aspartame but without critical review these are not worth the paper or pixels they're printed on. There are more studies on Aspartame than any other food additive and if you want to believe that every single one of those studies was the result of some kind of corporate payoff conspiracy then well, as you say.. "opinions are opinions"

Like I said.... Opinion is opinion, and I know what makes me feel good, and what tastes good. Anything like aspartame is just flat out nasty!!!!! TOO SWEET, TOO FAKE, and JUST OUT OF THE QUESTION IN MY DIET! Do not get me wrong like I said in a previous post I am all for Technological advancement. Since I am already sensitive to chemicals I will stick to my philosophy, and that will leave more Diet crap for you!:flowerforyou:
  • NikoM5
    Options

Like I said.... Opinion is opinion, and I know what makes me feel good, and what tastes good. Anything like aspartame is just flat out nasty!!!!! TOO SWEET, TOO FAKE, and JUST OUT OF THE QUESTION IN MY DIET! Do not get me wrong like I said in a previous post I am all for Technological advancement. Since I am already sensitive to chemicals I will stick to my philosophy, and that will leave more Diet crap for you!:flowerforyou:

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree ;) I'm just reporting the science but everyone needs to decide what's best for them.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Diet Sodas are terrible! I am against ANY ARTIFICIAL SWEETENED PRODUCT! Seriously why people can not see synthetic is NOT GOOD!

You do realize that natural doesn't mean good for you too right?

Chemicals are in everything we eat and drink.

So, for those of you who refuse to eat or drink things that are man made and full of chemicals, I bet you use commerically made lotions, soaps, washes, perfumes, etc. All those chemicals get absorbed into your skin. How about all you ladies who use nail polish? Think the formaldhyde from the polish isn't being absorbed into your body?

WTF!?!?! lol I dont use alot of those things and I sure a heck don't eat or drink them lol It amazes me to see some of the things ppl post lol I dont know about you but apple is natural and it is good for you....do you mean things on the shelves that say natural? I just am not understanding the point of your post TBH soda worked for some others choose not to intake it for reasons of their own but how the heck did we get onto finger polish lol and PLZ ppl if you are using so much polish that it is doin harm to you seek help lol that goes for the lotions soaps and so on lol

First off, without proper grammer and spelling your post was definately hard to read.

I'm not sure you actually understood my post. Not once did I say anything about someone actually consuming polish, lotions, etc. Simply pointing out that all those chemicals in what you put ON your body get absorbed INTO your body... so if you're going to avoid one chemical form avoid them all.
  • glenis50
    glenis50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry folks but when I'm doing my grocery shop lots of over weight people buy diet soda.
    I say its clearly not working:love:
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Diet Sodas are terrible! I am against ANY ARTIFICIAL SWEETENED PRODUCT! Seriously why people can not see synthetic is NOT GOOD!

You do realize that natural doesn't mean good for you too right?

Chemicals are in everything we eat and drink.

So, for those of you who refuse to eat or drink things that are man made and full of chemicals, I bet you use commerically made lotions, soaps, washes, perfumes, etc. All those chemicals get absorbed into your skin. How about all you ladies who use nail polish? Think the formaldhyde from the polish isn't being absorbed into your body?

WTF!?!?! lol I dont use alot of those things and I sure a heck don't eat or drink them lol It amazes me to see some of the things ppl post lol I dont know about you but apple is natural and it is good for you....do you mean things on the shelves that say natural? I just am not understanding the point of your post TBH soda worked for some others choose not to intake it for reasons of their own but how the heck did we get onto finger polish lol and PLZ ppl if you are using so much polish that it is doin harm to you seek help lol that goes for the lotions soaps and so on lol

First off, without proper grammer and spelling your post was definately hard to read.

I'm not sure you actually understood my post. Not once did I say anything about someone actually consuming polish, lotions, etc. Simply pointing out that all those chemicals in what you put ON your body get absorbed INTO your body... so if you're going to avoid one chemical form avoid them all.

It's grammar and definitely. I can type like this from now on if you cannot understand the other way I was communicating to you. Laughs out loud. I understood your post I just thought it was a little far fetched and ridiculous. I was being sarcastic to how you equate chemicals put on your body and how it breaks down by absorption through skin, to actual consumed chemicals in foods and how they are broken down. I thought it was funny how the conversation went from food to polish and imagined some ravenous dieter guzzling a few bottles in despair. Laughs out loud. Not all chemicals are bad for you. In different forms yes, but for the most part things we buy on a day to day basis and use are not harmful unless abused. Other items that are controversial and uncertain could also be abused but most intelligent people choose to just avoid them. I hope you were abe to understand everything I said this time. :drinker:
  • lizbeth926
    Options
    All things in moderation I guess. But as for me......need at least one Diet Dr Pepper to crave the need for a sweet taste without feeling too much guilt!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

It's grammar and definitely.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry folks but when I'm doing my grocery shop lots of over weight people buy diet soda.
    Lol, I see lots of skinny people buying processed foods and junk food too. So that must work.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I am overweight, and I don' t drink diet soda because I think its magically going to help me lose weight. Diet soda and obesity have nothing to do with each other.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree ;) I'm just reporting the science but everyone needs to decide what's best for them.

I agree to disagree. :flowerforyou: