Diet sodas are not bad after all!!!

Options

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    theres an actual study that suggests people who drink diet drinks are actually more prone to have be overweight and have diabetes later on in their lives... but dont take my word for it and keep drinking diet sodas!
    No.

The study was an epidemiological study (not a randomized controlled trial) that CORRELATED diet soda consumption to obesity, not that it causes it.

It's every bit as plausible (if not moreso) that people drinking diet sodas started AFTER they became obese, and switched to diet soda consumption to save calories.

My mother drinks lots of diet soda, and she's a diabetic, so it MUST be true!

...except she's type 1 and got it in her teens....before diet coke was around, lol.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Why is diet soda being discussed on a food and nutrition forum? It is neither and shouldn't belong here.

I'm glad you found an article to justify your addiction to diet soda. Enjoy.

I have only read 3 of your posts. I am curious,,,, are you always so negative?

:huh: :frown: :indifferent: Are you seriously posting this to someone after posting what you have tonight, mocking others & being plain rude for no reason other than to build yourself up!!?

I've read several of yours now and I found each to be rude and sarcastic, I'd ask if you were always that way but it appears you revel in it.

Hope your day gets better as you seem to be having a rough one tonight! Maybe it's time for bed...:noway:
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Just a thought from my own personal experience, I recently started drinking a gallon of water day, or as close to it as I can get. I still have a diet soda about every other day and my sweet cravings are diminishing, I think that it is possible that drinking more water keeps us fuller and makes us think about food less, therefore craving less sweets. I still treat myself to my diet soda and will continue to since I like the taste and deprevation would only make me binge drink it when I do give in. I say do whatever works for you.

Water is the best option but most ppl cant/wont be able to drink nothing but water forever it just isn't feasible for most. And wtg on a gallon a day I am having issues drinking my 8 a day lol I am just not a thirsty person and when I force drink it makes me feel like crap. I also agree whatever works for you. Better for a person to lose weight how they can initially but in the long term for overall health not just weight loss but mind and body....their is always more nutritional options than sodas diet or not.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You can find a study to support almost any view, good or bad.

Just because one study says something is ok doesn't mean it is.... and for the record, I am not against diet pop at all.
    [/quote

This! I drink diet coke daily and could care less what one study funded by a group for or against it says!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    You can find a study to support almost any view, good or bad.

Just because one study says something is ok doesn't mean it is.... and for the record, I am not against diet pop at all.

This! I drink diet coke daily and could care less what one study funded by a group for or against it says!
    I had 1 Diet Pepsi a day for at least 25 years. That's half my life. Figure if half of it so far has been no problem, the other half shouldn't be that bad.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

Who funded the study?

From the article:
    “Artificial sweeteners are a lot sweeter than regular sugar, on the order of 250 times sweeter, so that’s where the concerns came from,” said Vasanti Malik, a nutrition researcher from the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.

Regarding the ethics at Harvard.
    http://ethicalnag.org/2011/01/27/integrity-in-science-report/

Harvard is the recipient of grants from both PepsiCo and CocaCola.

With all of the corporate contributions to research institutions it's becoming nearly impossible to find an unbiased nutritional study.

All that said, I drink a diet coke every day and it hasn't killed me yet.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    With all of the corporate contributions to research institutions it's becoming nearly impossible to find an unbiased nutritional study.

All that said, I drink a diet coke every day and it hasn't killed me yet.
    What's interesting though is that whether a 'biased' group or not, no study ever conducted has ever found detrimental health effects to aspartame/nutrasweet.

... and, yes, I drink at minimum one can a day also.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i love diet 7-up.... just sayin.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options

I always wondered, it never spiked my hunger or made me crave sugar so that seemed absurd. However, it is still pretty much a chemical ****storm so I try to avoid it.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have really bad issues with acid reflux, and was told to stay away from carbonation in general, so I haven't had any in large amounts in a while. I do still have one every once in a while (mostly with rum or vodka!!) so everything in moderation, etc. I guess. I've heard more about the caramel coloring than aspartame, although the only hard core warning about aspartame I've heard is narcolepsy... whatever floats your boat, I guess. I find it hard to get my 8 glasses of water in a day if I drink anything else, though. :/
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    A friend of mine (professor at university) did research on diet coke and found negative effects, he was never able to publish his research because coca cola and others were threatening him with law suits and so on.

Any company that is ready to threaten a school and professor for research is proof enough for me that it probably isn't that good for you.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Diet Sodas are terrible! I am against ANY ARTIFICIAL SWEETENED PRODUCT! Seriously why people can not see synthetic is NOT GOOD!

You do realize that natural doesn't mean good for you too right?

Chemicals are in everything we eat and drink.

So, for those of you who refuse to eat or drink things that are man made and full of chemicals, I bet you use commerically made lotions, soaps, washes, perfumes, etc. All those chemicals get absorbed into your skin. How about all you ladies who use nail polish? Think the formaldhyde from the polish isn't being absorbed into your body?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Um, aspartame? Just because it doesn't make you fat doesn't mean it's not bad for you....

I have yet to see one reliable source that proves it is bad for humans. Over and over again it has been shown to be safe in moderate amounts.

Clearly you haven't done enough research. That or you work for Monsanto.

Seriously?

Clearly YOU Haven't done enough research. All those articles on the internet aren't always true. Artificial sweeteners have yet to be PROVEN to have side effects in moderate amounts.

Drink a 24 pk of diet pop each day? Sure you'll have some issues. Drink one a day... unless you already have an issue with the ingredients that you're fine.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Diet Sodas are terrible! I am against ANY ARTIFICIAL SWEETENED PRODUCT! Seriously why people can not see synthetic is NOT GOOD!

You do realize that natural doesn't mean good for you too right?

Chemicals are in everything we eat and drink.

So, for those of you who refuse to eat or drink things that are man made and full of chemicals, I bet you use commerically made lotions, soaps, washes, perfumes, etc. All those chemicals get absorbed into your skin. How about all you ladies who use nail polish? Think the formaldhyde from the polish isn't being absorbed into your body?

WTF!?!?! lol I dont use alot of those things and I sure a heck don't eat or drink them lol It amazes me to see some of the things ppl post lol I dont know about you but apple is natural and it is good for you....do you mean things on the shelves that say natural? I just am not understanding the point of your post TBH soda worked for some others choose not to intake it for reasons of their own but how the heck did we get onto finger polish lol and PLZ ppl if you are using so much polish that it is doin harm to you seek help lol that goes for the lotions soaps and so on lol
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    I have a counter-article proving that diet soda is indeed bad for you.

Link:
    http://news.menshealth.com/the-truth-about-diet-soda/2011/07/07/
    (While the artificial sugar is fine there's still high fructose corn syrup which is still a sugar and will be stored as fat if it's not burnt off quickly.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I have a counter-article proving that diet soda is indeed bad for you.

Link:
    http://news.menshealth.com/the-truth-about-diet-soda/2011/07/07/
    (While the artificial sugar is fine there's still high fructose corn syrup which is still a sugar and will be stored as fat if it's not burnt off quickly.)
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    If there was HFCS in them there would be a calorie value. And ANYTIME you're in calorie surplus (regardless of what macronutrient) you'll store fat.
    And the article doesn't state that it's "bad" for you, it goes over correlative incidences with being overweight and the reaction of diabetic mice (good thing we're humans).
    Time to rehit the books.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    X-|
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    First of all artificial sweeteners do not hit the brain receptors to indicate you have taken in sugar. They will not slake your craving for sugar, and so you will consume more calories trying to get what your body needs or wants. It is best to have something naturally sweet. (like a piece of fruit). I mean I love technological advancement, but not in my food! Eat clean, Eat Well, and enjoy variety!

Please see the study the OP posted.