The 1 Ingredient Diet

Options
spirit80
spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
A quote from a friend of mine. Thanks Joe!

"I sometimes call it the 1 ingredient diet. How many ingredients in an apple? One... you're good to go.

How many ingredients in a box of "healthy whole grain cereal? Too many to remember or pronounce for that matter... put it back on the shelf."

Thoughts?

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    it's absolutely the easiest way to be healthy bar-none. is it sustainable 100% of the time? nope. but if you shoot for it most of the time, you'll have success. you'll lose weight AND be healthy doing it. what a concept. :)
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I do stray from it at times but I believe it's the best way to go. Esp if you can avoid all the chemicals to boot!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. Since my husband and I purchased our Holistic Pet Store (we carry only 100% all natural foods for all pets) I have learned alot about nutrition and the chemicals and added crap that goes into our food as well.

This year, I have made the commitment to give up on most commercially produced products and eat more whole foods. Real potatoes, real fruits and vegetables. I make my own juice instead of buying it at the store.

Some things are more difficult like finding a good yogurt and things like that but for the most part... I think it's the way to go.

I've also started trying to cut out commercial cleaners, shampoos and soaps and started making my own.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do the 80/20% diet. 80% good whole food and 20% crap.

that being said I have icecream that is all natural.....does not make it a good idea to eat the whole thing in one sitting.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Except I mix a lot of 1 ingredient things together. :happy:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This is right in line with my, "No nutritional information" diet. If it has a label, don't eat it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I get the philosophy, but this breaks down in practice. I like to put salt and pepper on my chicken. Is it okay if the things in my one ingredient diet are made up of other ingredients that I combine? Is someone else combining ingredients less healthy than me doing it myself?

Again, I think I get what you're going for, but I'm not really a literalist and tend to exercise my own kind of common sense. What are your thoughts on the limitations of this approach to nutrition?
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    I think if the things you're mixing are also one ingredient, you're fine because the whole concept behind it is to eat "clean" and cut out all the chemicals and processed foods that you possibly can.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I get the philosophy, but this breaks down in practice. I like to put salt and pepper on my chicken. Is it okay if the things in my one ingredient diet are made up of other ingredients that I combine? Is someone else combining ingredients less healthy than me doing it myself?

Again, I think I get what you're going for, but I'm not really a literalist and tend to exercise my own kind of common sense. What are your thoughts on the limitations of this approach to nutrition?

it doesn't break down in practice.

when you combine ingredients yourself you know exactly what's in it and how it's made.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    your body just sees a vat of chemicals reguardless of what it is you eat...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Partial list of ingredients of an apple

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

BENZOIC ACID? SOUNDS UNATURAL AND DANGEROUS
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

it doesn't break down in practice.

when you combine ingredients yourself you know exactly what's in it and how it's made.

That's more than one ingredient.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not made up of one thing... So you can't eat me.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    How many ingredients are in crap?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

So, with this logic, Pizza falls into the 1 ingredient diet. I like this logic.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    edited; ...joke too low even for me...
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm not made up of one thing... So you can't eat me.

I just snorted. Thank you!