The 1 Ingredient Diet

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i guarantee you the OP meant that when he goes shopping he only buys foods with one ingredient. what you make with those foods is entirely up to you.

everyone splitting hairs is creating an argument out of nothing.

if we want to be anal about it, the OP also didn't say you can't eat one ingredient foods WITH other one ingredient foods now did he?
    so at what level does ANYTHING you eat befome one ingredient?

While I would never deny a diet based off whole foods isn't healthy or desired, the whole mentality that processed/premade is bad for being such is just silly. If something is still MOSTLY whole foods and has a little here and there added for flavoring that doesn't make it unhealthy.

Also if you moderate certain processed foods and that food NEEDS preservatives to prevent MICROBES (the main culprit in the safety of your food) and your body has perferctly capable detoxification/metabolic methods (as studied by as nausium studies prior to introduction in foods), then that is likely NOT causing even a remotely unacceptable risk/detriment to your health.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63/abstract

sure, as long as you practice "moderation" it doesn't matter quite so much. but what's moderation to you? it's probably quite different than what it is to me.

and to pretend processed foods are "mostly whole foods with added flavorings/preservatives" is silly. it's not a whole food if it's mashed up, glued back together, and treated with chemicals.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post...It helps actually...it floors me how many people on here need to judge posts based on literal and ridiculous. Can it not just be a great post about eating all natural food? The post led to believe blah blah blah....Why can it not just be...great advice to live by????
    Thanks original poster....

Because to a lot of people, it's NOT great advice to live by.

I like what I eat, and I'm doing quite well on what I eat. I, personally, couldn't stomach a "1 Ingredient Diet" for more than 1 day.

And, if we are to assume he means one thing and not another, then it needs to be presented as such. It floors you that people need to judge posts based on literal and ridiculous. IF we don't judge a post by what it literally says, then what's the point?

This is a text based communication, there is no inflection, there is no facial expressions or body language to go gauge what the poster is trying to convey, so it's left up to a persons personal beliefs, mood, personality, etc to distinguish what the post means to them.

And the OP in NO WAY said that you HAVE to adopt his diet now did he? Again, the persecution complex........

And I didn't say he was saying that I HAVE to adopt this diet, but the person I quoted said that I should say "Great Job, OP!! Awesome advice!!" and I was simply stating that I don't agree with this advice. Please explain how I came across as feeling persecuted? Disagreeable, yes, I was disagreeable, however persecuted is a bit of a stretch. I'll even go so far as to say argumentative...but that's all in the persons point of view.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i guarantee you the OP meant that when he goes shopping he only buys foods with one ingredient. what you make with those foods is entirely up to you.

if we want to be anal about it, the OP also didn't say you can't eat one ingredient foods WITH other one ingredient foods now did he?

While I would never deny a diet based off whole foods isn't healthy or desired, the whole mentality that processed/premade is bad for being such is just silly. If something is still MOSTLY whole foods and has a little here and there added for flavoring that doesn't make it unhealthy.

Also if you moderate certain processed foods and that food NEEDS preservatives to prevent MICROBES (the main culprit in the safety of your food) and your body has perferctly capable detoxification/metabolic methods (as studied by as nausium studies prior to introduction in foods), then that is likely NOT causing even a remotely unacceptable risk/detriment to your health.

sure, as long as you practice "moderation" it doesn't matter quite so much. but what's moderation to you? it's probably quite different than what it is to me.

and to pretend processed foods are "mostly whole foods with added flavorings/preservatives" is silly. it's not a whole food if it's mashed up, glued back together, and treated with chemicals.

What if it's just treated with chemicals, is it a whole food then?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I like how you cut off my response. That's cute. If you or anyone else can't understand the idea behind the original post, then you are truly sad. Carry on.

She quoted coach reddy, not you. Keep up if you're going to be slinging insults and making accusations.

Actually, I didn't sling any insults. LOL.. cute how people get offended when their egos get hurt. Carry one. I don't care about getting the last word, so I will likely not respond again.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

What if it's just treated with chemicals, is it a whole food then?

well that just depends now doesn't it? how many ingredients does it have?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    most 1 ingredients foods are treated with pesticides or food grade waxes to stay fresh in the store and for the end user...
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    most 1 ingredients foods are treated with pesticides or food grade waxes to stay fresh in the store and for the end user...

which is the problem with food production in this country. it's not an indictment of the foods themselves.

non-organic < organic < local

buy local if you can to avoid pesticides, and wash your produce.
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    It is easy to make your own yogurt -- all you need is a clean corning ware (glass) dish, a microwave, a refrigerator, and a small container of any plain (not vanilla) yogurt you like.

Heat the milk in the dish in the microwave until it starts frothing (you can do this part on the stove if you prefer). 185 degrees F
    Let the milk cool in the glass dish until it reaches about 110 degrees F (you can stick your clean finger in and it's hot but not scalding).
    If the milk cools to where it doesn't feel hot at all, you gotta heat it up again.

Stir into the milk, 2 tablespoons of room-temperature PLAIN yogurt [this is a starter---you'll want to keep 2 tbs from this completed batch to start your next batch].

Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place it in a warm (but not hot) place --- an oven with a pilot light is a great spot.
    Let it sit there for 7-8 hours [longer makes it thicker and more tangier].
    I usually make mine at night before bed and when I get up in the morning it has solidified.

When it's solid, put it in the frig and keep cold for a few hours before serving. Stir any whey that has separated when you dish yourself out a nice bowl and add fresh berries for a good time.

While there may be some residual chemicals from the "starter" in the first batch, they are diluted and gone by the 2nd or 3rd batch.
  • _noob_
    Options

which is the problem with food production in this country. it's not an indictment of the foods themselves.

see, where we differ, is that as a toxicologist and realist, I don't see the foods having the wax or being treated with pesticides as a problem. I see them as the solution to a bigger and more realistic problem.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Have we forgotten that 100 years ago (and still in parts of the world today) EVERYBODY ate a 1-ingredient diet.
    There was no fast food, there was very few boxed mixes and pre-packaged foods available at the grocery store.
    People bought single ingredients and combined them together to make real food -- in my childhood we called it "from scratch".

I saw a FB post the other day showing people how to combine all these ingredients from their cabinets into zip lock bags and "make their own boxed brownie mix"
    lol, I never saw my mother or grandmother cook brownies from a box.

I do my best to cook from scratch most nights of the week. Where I get into trouble is adding soups or sauces to things. I don't have the time/energy to make scratch cream of mushroom soup just to add 1/2 cup to a casserole.

I have taught my daughter how to make pancakes and biscuits without pre-packaged mixes. She makes awesome brownies with coffee in them that she learned watching the foot network.
    I create homemade "hamburger helper" on a regular basis with real cheese and milk. Learning to make a corn starch white sauce changed my life!

When comparing two options at the grocery store, I look for two things:
    1) which one identifies as made in USA, Canada, or Mexico? If it's local, even the better!
    2) which one is closer to a "whole" food -- fewer alphabet ingredients

On the other hand, I was sitting in a restaurant the other day and watched a fellow implement the extreme "1 ingredient" diet technique that the trolls would like ---
    He ordered a bacon double cheeseburger, when it came to the table, he separated all the parts onto his plate, cut them up individually with a knife, and then ate with a fork in order, all of the burger, all of the cheese, all of the bacon, all of the tomato, all of the lettuce, two pickles, and then the bun. Of course none of the parts touched each other on his plate. The waitress brought him a big platter for a single burger, so apparently he does this in there all the time. I wanted to send him a hot fudge sundae with nuts and a cherry just to see what would happen (I think he would have exploded).

But....It's not 100 years ago.

If we take that logic and we live in the past then log off your computer, toss it out, toss out any other modern luxury you're using as well.

Fast food, boxed dinners, canned soup...all of these things were made for convenience.

Also, in the story of the guy in the diner..if he where following the 1 Ingredient Diet, he would have ordered the cheeseburger without the bread, because he couldn't eat bread.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I like how you cut off my response. That's cute. If you or anyone else can't understand the idea behind the original post, then you are truly sad. Carry on.

She quoted coach reddy, not you. Keep up if you're going to be slinging insults and making accusations.

Actually, I didn't sling any insults. LOL.. cute how people get offended when their egos get hurt. Carry one. I don't care about getting the last word, so I will likely not respond again.

"You are truly sad".
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    But my hagen dazs Schokolade Chip Cookie dough eis has a bunch of ingredients.... So have fun with your diet ^_^
  • CoachReddy
    Options

see, where we differ, is that as a toxicologist and realist, I don't see the foods having the wax or being treated with pesticides as a problem. I see them as the solution to a bigger and more realistic problem.

and I'm an idealist, so you're right - we do differ.

and I'm more concerned about the health and longevity of the individual vs the problem of simply keeping a large number of people alive - though I do recognize that it's a problem. I just wish we could be more creative in our solutions.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Have we forgotten that 100 years ago (and still in parts of the world today) EVERYBODY ate a 1-ingredient diet.
    There was no fast food, there was very few boxed mixes and pre-packaged foods available at the grocery store.
    People bought single ingredients and combined them together to make real food -- in my childhood we called it "from scratch".

I saw a FB post the other day showing people how to combine all these ingredients from their cabinets into zip lock bags and "make their own boxed brownie mix"
    lol, I never saw my mother or grandmother cook brownies from a box.

I do my best to cook from scratch most nights of the week. Where I get into trouble is adding soups or sauces to things. I don't have the time/energy to make scratch cream of mushroom soup just to add 1/2 cup to a casserole.

I have taught my daughter how to make pancakes and biscuits without pre-packaged mixes. She makes awesome brownies with coffee in them that she learned watching the foot network.
    I create homemade "hamburger helper" on a regular basis with real cheese and milk. Learning to make a corn starch white sauce changed my life!

When comparing two options at the grocery store, I look for two things:
    1) which one identifies as made in USA, Canada, or Mexico? If it's local, even the better!
    2) which one is closer to a "whole" food -- fewer alphabet ingredients

On the other hand, I was sitting in a restaurant the other day and watched a fellow implement the extreme "1 ingredient" diet technique that the trolls would like ---
    He ordered a bacon double cheeseburger, when it came to the table, he separated all the parts onto his plate, cut them up individually with a knife, and then ate with a fork in order, all of the burger, all of the cheese, all of the bacon, all of the tomato, all of the lettuce, two pickles, and then the bun. Of course none of the parts touched each other on his plate. The waitress brought him a big platter for a single burger, so apparently he does this in there all the time. I wanted to send him a hot fudge sundae with nuts and a cherry just to see what would happen (I think he would have exploded).

But....It's not 100 years ago.

If we take that logic and we live in the past then log off your computer, toss it out, toss out any other modern luxury you're using as well.

Fast food, boxed dinners, canned soup...all of these things were made for convenience.

Also, in the story of the guy in the diner..if he where following the 1 Ingredient Diet, he would have ordered the cheeseburger without the bread, because he couldn't eat bread.

physiologically our bodies don't know the difference between now and 100 years ago.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How many ingredients are in crap?

Exactly. And there are even more ingredients in bull**** :)

which is why it's so popular with the IIFYM crowd

Meow!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Why do you assume local produce doesn't use pesticides?
  • _noob_
    Options

and I'm an idealist, so you're right - we do differ.

and I'm more concerned about the health and longevity of the individual vs the problem of simply keeping a large number of people alive - though I do recognize that it's a problem. I just wish we could be more creative in our solutions.

until we do, wasting food (which helps no one), eating food that is spoiled (again, MUCH more problem in the diet of much of the world than the utopia we live in), and having unsightly food that is likely to fall to 1 or 2 is a MUCH bigger problem than small doses of chemicals your body can take care of and then get all the goodness of that whole food.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

I agree with the statement - if you can, buy local, organic food. That's totally reasonable.

I cannot condemn modern farming practices which include pesticides, herbicide-resistant hereditary selection, et cetera, because the abundance of affordable food is what makes the convenience and luxury of local organic produce feasible. If non-organic growing practices were illegal, for instance, we would not be able to afford produce, because the supply would so dramatically decrease that only the wealthy could obtain fruits and vegetables. The rest of us would be stuck with pop tarts. And I hate pop tarts.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    How many ingredients are in crap?

Exactly. And there are even more ingredients in bull**** :)

which is why it's so popular with the IIFYM crowd

Meow!

I thought that was pretty good!

i couldn't help myself. though really I was referring to the jonnythan's of the world. not actual IIFYM-ers. :flowerforyou:
  • losbeatlesmolan
    Options
    living like that would be impossible!!!! we all deserve a treat from time to time. also, I don't believe it's true - how many ingredients in whole grain bread? More than one!!! salt, flour to begin with! and it's healthy