The 1 Ingredient Diet

Options

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    aaaaaand in come the trolls to ruin a perfectly good thread.

per usual.

"is it sustainable 100% of the time? nope."

The people that you call trolls - I assume including myself - are trying to demonstrate the limitations of an arbitrarily and severely limited diet.

Have you ever looked the variety of fruit, vegetables and protein that are available? The diet anything but limited. The possibilities are endless.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, what an incredibly boring way to live life... We are blessed with all these wonderful foods and food combinations that can produce yumminess like poutine (for you Dani...). Why would you EVER deprive yourself with such an insanely boring diet?

there's nothing boring about eating real food. check my diary. does that look boring to you?

Yes.
  • odusgolp
    Options

per usual.

The people that you call trolls - I assume including myself - are trying to demonstrate the limitations of an arbitrarily and severely limited diet.

by insulting and using memes and jokes? yeah ok. (and no, i was not referring to you)

You can refer to me all you'd like... My pickle is worth it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This is right in line with my, "No nutritional information" diet. If it has a label, don't eat it.

Oh, so I shouldn't eat oatmeal, rice, eggs, milk, chicken, turkey, whey protein, wheat bread, frozen veggies.......................................
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

per usual.

by insulting and using memes and jokes? yeah ok. (and no, i was not referring to you)

You can refer to me all you'd like... My pickle is worth it.

lol i've got nothing against pickles. that's what's hilarious. you people seem to think that by advocating for mostly 1-ingredient foods we're saying you CAN NEVER EAT ANYTHING ELSE

none of us have ever said that. I eat pickles. they're good.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Have you ever looked the variety of fruit, vegetables and protein that are available? The diet anything but limited. The possibilities are endless.

Yes! But the original post implies that one shouldn't combine them.

Subsequent commenters have stated that it's okay if you, the consumer, combine them.

But what difference does it make if my wife cooks dinner for me?

This nutrition decision that the OP is describing is not, I believe, what is intended.

Preservatives are not food - no one argues that. If your objective is to eat FOOD you would ideally not eat preservatives, or artificial colors.

But that's different than not having a salad.

The original post was not clear in what it is describing. As someone posted earlier, "sugar" can be considered a single ingredient as well.

This is just a theory of nutrition that is not very well expressed and could be misleading to people looking for a healthier life.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Partial list of ingredients of an apple

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

Hmm, do those actually qualify as "ingredients"?

"An ingredient is a substance that forms part of a mixture"
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    This is right in line with my, "No nutritional information" diet. If it has a label, don't eat it.

Oh, so I shouldn't eat oatmeal, rice, eggs, milk, chicken, turkey, whey protein, wheat bread, frozen veggies.......................................

weird i don't recall him saying anyone should do anything. he simply mentioned what HE does.

god the persecution complex y'all have is amazing.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

no it doesn't.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

weird i don't recall him saying anyone should do anything. he simply mentioned what HE does.

.....and the time you have to keep checking this thread every 2 minutes is amazing.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I found mine.

sugar-addiction.jpg

Has both glucose and fructose, sorry that's 1 too many ingredients
    Table sugar is just sucrose, it still counts. :wink:

Sucrose is a disaccharide composed of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose, but it's a chemically distinct compound, not just a mix of of glucose and fructose.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Subsequent commenters have stated that it's okay if you, the consumer, combine them.

But what difference does it make if my wife cooks dinner for me?

This nutrition decision that the OP is describing is not, I believe, what is intended.

Preservatives are not food - no one argues that. If your objective is to eat FOOD you would ideally not eat preservatives, or artificial colors.

But that's different than not having a salad.

The original post was not clear in what it is describing. As someone posted earlier, "sugar" can be considered a single ingredient as well.

This is just a theory of nutrition that is not very well expressed and could be misleading to people looking for a healthier life.
    No it doesn't. That would be the take away of someone looking for a straw man. I suppose everyone should start adding a layer of fine print to every post so that people who delight in smearing the original idea will have no reason to attack.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

.....and the time you have to keep checking this thread every 2 minutes is amazing.

Truth. I do waste too much time on here.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    no it doesn't.
    "I sometimes call it the 1 ingredient diet. How many ingredients in an apple? One... you're good to go.

How many ingredients are in a garden salad?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    That diet looks like it's from one ingredient too.

Poop.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eh. Convenience foods are convenient.

Someday when I have a personal chef, grocery shopper and gardener I'll try to eat more 1 ingredient foods.
  • JennChamb
    JennChamb Posts: 55
    Options
    My thoughts are "If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't put it in your mouth!"
    I should follow this more often. :P
  • odusgolp
    Options

no it doesn't.

Then we agree to disagree. The Original Post led me (and some others) to assume this diet, aptly named "The 1 Ingredient Diet" means you do not eat anything "together" with more than one ingredient. You can't mix your oats with cooked apple, cinnamon & milk, for example...

That's how I read it, and I stand by the fact that I think that is boring. I am currently eating a salad of at least 10 ingredients... and there's pepper on my chicken, so I'm screwed.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I prefer the 4-ingredient diet: Water, barley, yeast, hops.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    no it doesn't.
    "I sometimes call it the 1 ingredient diet. How many ingredients in an apple? One... you're good to go.

How many ingredients are in a garden salad?

That's what I'm sayin...