The 1 Ingredient Diet

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not made up of one thing... So you can't eat me.

Anecdotal evidence that recently appeared in this thread has confirmed my suspicion that this diet just wouldn't work for me.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I found mine.

sugar-addiction.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it makes it easier, then sure, why not?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    A quote from a friend of mine. Thanks Joe!

"I sometimes call it the 1 ingredient diet. How many ingredients in an apple? One... you're good to go.

How many ingredients in a box of "healthy whole grain cereal? Too many to remember or pronounce for that matter... put it back on the shelf."

Thoughts?

Water, hydrogen and oxygen. ... put it back on the shelf.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I found mine.

sugar-addiction.jpg

Has both glucose and fructose, sorry that's 1 too many ingredients
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, what an incredibly boring way to live life... We are blessed with all these wonderful foods and food combinations that can produce yumminess like poutine (for you Dani...). Why would you EVER deprive yourself with such an insanely boring diet?

foodpoutinecloseup.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Partial list of ingredients of an apple

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

Hmm, do those actually qualify as "ingredients"?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! I actually followed a plan that was essentially this. I ate only food that God made pretty much. If it wasn't a meat or vegetable I did not eat it. I was amazed at how my appetite changed, and how good I felt. I thought I was good to splurge on easter, and it has taken me all week to get back on the wagon. Once I re-establish my plan I will not stray again.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    aaaaaand in come the trolls to ruin a perfectly good thread.

per usual.
    Options
    I get the philosophy, but this breaks down in practice. I like to put salt and pepper on my chicken. Is it okay if the things in my one ingredient diet are made up of other ingredients that I combine? Is someone else combining ingredients less healthy than me doing it myself?

Again, I think I get what you're going for, but I'm not really a literalist and tend to exercise my own kind of common sense. What are your thoughts on the limitations of this approach to nutrition?

I don't think herbs and spices count. In fact, they can even be beneficial.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

That's the chemical breakdown of an apple not the ingredients that would be listed on a label.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Hmm, do those actually qualify as "ingredients"?

Ah, yes, what exactly qualifies as an "ingredient"?

I think we had a president try to use such logic to worm his way out of a sticky situation. (Pun intended)
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What a horrible life to live. :sad:

I like my foodz. One ingredient or 20. You cant make me quit! :angry:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

"I sometimes call it the 1 ingredient diet. How many ingredients in an apple? One... you're good to go.

How many ingredients in a box of "healthy whole grain cereal? Too many to remember or pronounce for that matter... put it back on the shelf."

Thoughts?

Ok, joking aside:

If you're going to take this literally and eat exclusively singular ingredient items I think you're placing an unnecessary restriction on your diet that is going to cause you nothing but reduced adherence.

I think you should eat mostly whole and nutrient dense foods for the majority of your diet. You can do this without specific rules and moreover you can do it without eliminating foods you enjoy provided you're able to use some moderation with those foods.

Eat a nutrient rich diet, allow yourself a small bank of discretionary intake (calories you can use on anything you want provided that you're meeting nutrient needs with the other calories), and don't complicate it beyond that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    On a serious note, what an incredibly boring way to live life... We are blessed with all these wonderful foods and food combinations that can produce yumminess like poutine (for you Dani...). Why would you EVER deprive yourself with such an insanely boring diet?

there's nothing boring about eating real food. check my diary. does that look boring to you?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Thoughts?

Ok, joking aside:

If you're going to take this literally and eat exclusively singular ingredient items I think you're placing an unnecessary restriction on your diet that is going to cause you nothing but reduced adherence.

I think you should eat mostly whole and nutrient dense foods for the majority of your diet. You can do this without specific rules and moreover you can do it without eliminating foods you enjoy provided you're able to use some moderation with those foods.

Eat a nutrient rich diet, allow yourself a small bank of discretionary intake (calories you can use on anything you want provided that you're meeting nutrient needs with the other calories), and don't complicate it beyond that.

you do realize that "whole foods" ARE one-ingredient foods right?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

per usual.

"is it sustainable 100% of the time? nope."

The people that you call trolls - I assume including myself - are trying to demonstrate the limitations of an arbitrarily and severely limited diet.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not made up of one thing... So you can't eat me.
    100% ground human?
    Options

These aren't "ingredients", they are components. There is a certain molecular and natural chemical structure to everything. Ingredients I assume are simply a gathering of items man made and possibly natural put together to make a product.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

per usual.

"is it sustainable 100% of the time? nope."

The people that you call trolls - I assume including myself - are trying to demonstrate the limitations of an arbitrarily and severely limited diet.

by insulting and using memes and jokes? yeah ok. (and no, i was not referring to you)