Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Options

Replies

• lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Cheat day has different meanings to different people. I read a post from a MFP member who realized that her undocumented "cheat day" was more than undoing the caloric deficit she had made over the six days she was good.

Others look at cheat day as a day to indulge a bit, but not toss the baby out with the bathwater. I think that if a DOCUMENTED cheat day helps you pass on the cheesecake the rest of the week, there is no problem.

I lost 50 lbs when I was 30 years old by allowing myself one "cheat food" each day. I allowed myself a coke, a snickers, a slice of pizza -- whatever. But only one crap item a day. And the calories were not above-and-beyond, but included in my daily allotment. At that time in my life that one treat every day really helped me over the humps.

Today, I am not as active as I was then and there really isn't room for a daily dose of empty calories. But if it works for you, and it helps you keep moving toward the goal, cheat away.
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love cheat days! It's not practical for me personally to say, 'I'm never going to eat chocolate ever again.' I guess it depends on how extreme you take the cheat day. I don't see it as an excuse to gorge myself on junk. If anything, I prefer to think of it as my treat meal. It's one meal of the week where I eat what I want without thinking about whether it's good or bad fat, how many calories are in it, etc. Last week I had a small vegetarian pizza and this week I had a little mint Aero. They won't undo all the good work I've done each week from working out and clean eating!

Cat
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and have been battling with my weight/emotions for as long as I can remember. "Cheat" days, meals, whatever you want to call it for me is like putting a kid in a candy store. I know for me, eating what I want is a giant step backward. Before I can even entertain the idea of a cheat meal or day I still need to figure out why I've chosen to tie any emotion to food. I tried doing an "eat anything you'd like day", lost weight and sabotaged my success. Obviously I'm not at that point and I don't know that I will ever be and that's okay. At one point, I thought maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if it were termed a "treat" day but quickly discovered it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If you truly have made a permanent lifestyle and diet change, then I don't see how the concept of a "cheat" meal or day works.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually most people who are successful at being in recovery from alcohol DO go to support groups. It's clear your knowledge of addiction, no matter the substance, is limited. Harm reduction is a model, however research has shown that while it may effective in the short term that it is not effective in the long term.

Being an alcoholic is *nothing* like eating too much food very day. Nothing at all.

Having a physical addiction is a completely separate issue from struggling with a bad habit.

Food Addiction exists.

It's not a physical addiction.

Yes, it is.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. The only withdrawal syndrome that's comes with refraining from eating is death from starvation.

Alcoholism vs. food "addiction" = apples vs. oranges

Not ridiculous. But what do I know...I was only an addictions counselor for 8 years. Foods cause a reaction in the brain that is exactly the same as drugs, particular sugars. There are studies clearly linking that your body and brain react in the same way. Certain foods absolute trigger the same response. Google it. It's not hard to find. And withdrawal happens when you take away certain foods from people.

Apples. Apples.

Just goes to show you that some counselors don't keep up with research. :laugh: :wink:

I'm not convinced that you even understand the scientific definition of "withdrawal syndrome."
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Just goes to show you that some counselors don't keep up with research. :laugh: :wink:

I'm not convinced that you even understand the scientific definition of "withdrawal syndrome."

Here you go: http://foodaddictioninstitute.org/scientific-research/physical-craving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/

You can stop being rude now :flowerforyou:
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

for me, its going to a nice restaurant with my husband. we hardly ever get to anymore, and ill be damned if im counting my calories that day. if i end up eating 4000+ at dinner alone, so be it-but im going to enjoy my food AND dessert since my opportunities are few and far between. i dont keep junk in my house so a cheat day is ALWAYS a dinner date.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If I'm still losing weight while having a cheat day here and there, why not? Confusing your metabolism once in a while can help it.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I eat indulgent foods, but I track them and count them with Weight Watchers. Having a cheat day wouldn't work for me. Also, I have to count everything. On holidays, I can relax this.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Some people absolutely swear by cheat days. However, for me when I cheat it doesn't work. The first thing my brain says is "don't worry about it tomorrow is a new day." Then it says " That's right tomorrow is a new day, have another." then that continues until the whole box of cookies is gone. Then tomorrow brings the guilt! and if you are feeling guilty, you want to shut it up! You know the little voices of condemnation that keep telling you that you are a bad, bad person. So I start shoving stuff down the throat to shut up the voices, and that is how cheat days turn to weeks, turn to months and so on.

Is this true for everyone...No of course not. We all deal differently and we are all fat for different reasons.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.
    I believe they were initially created so that people who were very strict throughout their diet, got some relief from abstinence of foods they enjoyed.
    This is why I don't have clients diet. Calorie control and macro/micro nutrient intake is what's more important. If there's room at the end of the day, eat whatever you want to fulfill those calories left.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShawndaSallee
    ShawndaSallee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think something that a lot of people misunderstand is that most people don’t "cheat" all day long. I certainly don’t. But one day a week I will allow myself something small like a scoop of ice cream or a beer at dinner.
  • juneleblanc98
    juneleblanc98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very well said!!! I'm commenting on a week in which I "cheated" and went over my calories, and you are right, it all balances out at the end of the week. I step on the scale this morning and to my disappointment...nothing. I had to reassure myself that at least I didn't gain, But I'm not here to maintain, not yet, I want to LOSE! So I am throwing out the concept of "cheat days", and tossing out the act of justifying going over calories "because I've been good all week" and am choosing to make this a daily journey to stay within my goal.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    When I have ever used a "cheat" day, it has always knocked me off the wagon and it always takes me a week to get back on the wagon. I don't advise cheat days for the weak willed.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

i might actually bite my tongue right off with the effort of not saying something exceedingly rude to you.
  • _Fatty2Fitty_
    _Fatty2Fitty_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am a person who has a 'spike day' or 'cheat day' call it what you want!

I aim to eat 1,500 cals for 6 days a week, which is 100 calories below my BMR. These 6 days are also medium-low carbs. Then one day a week I eat 3000 calories, ie, spike/cheat day. Here I can eat whatever I want within the 3000cals goal.

Your not 'blowing' anything! Its a day that keeps you focused through out the week and one day where you can let your hair down and not worry about 'dieting' or 'losing weight'.

Im losing weight and inches doing it!

Dont knock it till you try it!!
  • EzBake
    EzBake Posts: 2
    Options
    As long as you can get back on the horse the next day, you can do 'cheat days'.

However, I do exactly what you said. I cheat one day, then the next one, then the next week and I blow my diet.

Depends on the person's willpower I guess. Cheat days don't work well for me so I don't like to do them. i just have periods of time where I'm very good, and ones where I'm not.

K
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I have lost 95 pounds in 13 months and if you want to stay on your diet, the biggest thing I learned from dieting is that when you get a craving, indulge it, as long as it is not 3 times a day.

In reality, one day/meal of poor eating will not ruin your physique from a physiological perspective. You will not increase your bodyfat stores significantly, just like you don't make great progress with a SINGLE day of good eating habits. Most of the bloating and clouded definition and added weight is due to water retention and fluid in the extracellular space, along with lots of glycogen storage.

Am I encouraging you to "cheat?" Not at all. I'm just saying that it will not greatly hamper your progress if:
    *you do it in moderation and plan it
    *compensate by either exercising more or cutting back the rest of the day, or both
    *don't let it get into your head and get all depressed and beat yourself up...you've got to move forward and jump back on track, whether it be dieting or gaining
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree they can be bad if you cant work off the garbage you eat in a short period. I used to have them weekly and still dropped weight, gained muscle, whatever I was going for. I don't feel they are detrimental if spaced out, but you do make it harder on yourself if done weekly. So I go for it once a month now.

I've never had a cheat day make me gain weight though so they haven't been an issue,
    butIf you cant control your habits and cut back the cheat days, I feel like you eventually fall right back to where you are.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't get cheat days either. some people may say it's so you don't deprive yourselves, but I believe in Everything in Moderation.