Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Options
I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Setting up overly rigid expectations is likely to lead to a person abandoning efforts.

Holidays happen, and if a person can't have a decadent meal or some beverages, they're going to start to feel deprived and resentful of the demands of their "diet".

A cheat meal is a way to indulge and allow yourself to eat or drink without feeling the need to beat yourself up for it. Pre-planned, and enjoyed, they can keep you sane while in the quest for weight loss.

Now that I have hit maintenance, I don't pre-plan cheat days anymore, because life does it for me. They usually coincide with holidays and family celebrations. But since I know I can easily recover, in terms of calories, I can indulge without any negative emotions. The old me would have indulged, but then would have beat myself up for it, and gone on an overly difficult deprivation diet to "make up for it". That pattern didn't work.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of feeling like you are "cheating." It isn't "cheating" to have a high calorie day. I never have a "cheat day," but I will have the occasional "eat at or just barely under maintenance" day. That's not cheating, it's being flexible and living life.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    A lot of people find it easier to maintain a long-term calorie deficit if they have a cheat day. I never really had one (not planned anyway, some days obviously went over) and I don't particularly like the term "cheating" in this context, but really who cares? It works for some people, so what's the harm?

(I also don't think everyone with weight issues would see themselves as equivalent to an alcoholic; I certainly don't.)
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    I eat the same amount of calories no matter what day it is..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

Adherence, some people will better adhere to a diet knowing they have a free day ahead of them.

Cheat days don't become cheat weeks or a blown diet if the person wants to reach their goal and they have some measure of mental fortitude to get back on their diet the next day
  • pghlulu
    pghlulu Posts: 42
    Options
    What's with the Judgy McJudgersons lately....

Some people like to ease the calorie restriction once in a while. I don't think they need to justify why....since it's their prerogative. If you personally don't want to have a "cheat" day, then don't......
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Some friends of mine have been very successful in eating at a weekly, rather than a daily calorie deficit. In that case a higher calorie day would be balanced by another, lower calorie day. This allows them to take part in celebrations without pulling out a calculator at the table.
    As well, many people, myself included, don't think we are "on a diet". We are learning how to balance our intake with our output! Come to think of it, having a higher calorie day would make for a good learning experience.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I think people are just splitting hairs with the term cheat blah blah blah..... I use the word loosely but do have cheat meals.. When I was 560 lbs. and eating 10,000 calories a day and having to go to a 2500 calorie a day meal plan, my dietician and I devised a plan that if I ate within my plan 5 days a week then on 2 days I could have 1 so called cheat meal only rules at that time was the meal had to be out to eat, I could order whatever I wanted off the Menu (within reason) but whatever I ate had to be consumed there and not bring anything home.. This allowed me to adhere to a pretty structured meal plan but gave me a couple meals to look forward to each week which helped me stay on track... After loosing 311 lbs. I still use this approach even though now I eat around 3800 calories a day... Everyone's approach is going to be different but finding a method that allows you to adhere and be successful is everyone game plan though isn't it......
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    people are losing weight a little bit slower so that they have a weekly treat to look forward to??

oh noes!! i'll get the ducking stool if you gather the kindling.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    *sigh* another one of these useless threads.

So flippin what if people want to have a day where they eat whatever they want - something they usually wouldn't do??? I don't call it a cheat meal, I call it a TREAT meal, cuz who gives a damn if 1 day out of 7 will be higher in calories?
    I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it.

you can't be serious, OP? if you think that one cheat meal means they blow everything they've worked on for a week, you're real slow.

Some people like to ease the calorie restriction once in a while. I don't think they need to justify why....since it's their prerogative. If you personally don't want to have a "cheat" day, then don't......

^^ This.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat the same amount of calories no matter what day it is.. Holidays are for fat people to get fatter.

Maybe if they aren't logging their food. Weight loss and gains don't happen overnight. It's all about consistency over a long period of time.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    hyperbolic much?

"Have OJ try on the gloves"
    "Why don't we scrap the Coke formula and make it taste like Pepsi?"
    "Why don't we just ban alcohol all together?"
    "You can hook it to your vacuum cleaner and it will suck up your hair AND cut it!"
    "We should fire Steve Jobs."
    "I bet we would make great phones here at ESPN!"

all of these are worse ideas than someone allowing him/herself an extra slice of pizza once a week.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it.

You're assuming that people are going to blow it on their cheat day.

I'm neutral about them without context.

From another thread (bolding part of it for context)

I think as with almost everything involving diet, context matters a great deal.

As far as the actual effects on weight loss, overall energy balance is still going to be the most important variable and as such, a cheat meal or cheat day may or may not be ok depending on where that puts you for energy balance.

If I were to make a vague statement about cheating I'd say that if incorporating cheats into your diet improves adherence and still allows you to maintain a sufficient energy deficit for progress then you should use them. Otherwise I wouldn't, outside of social circumstances or a needed mental break.

Now having said that, I ALSO think that some people in some cases, may feel the need to cheat because their dieting strategy is lacking and this may drive the need. Not in all cases.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like to "cheat" some times on Sunday... we will go out to eat and I wont log, I wont order anthing horrible for me, but Ill have a nice dinner and not worry about measuring the portions and logging it. One dinner a week isnt going to kill my weight loss, especially since Im always under my calories anyway...

But I agree that if you spend your cheat day eating everyting you can find and all the bad stuff then yea it is kinda pointless..
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm just heading out for what will undoubtedly be a calorie, fat and sodium-filled meal - lunch at a Korean restaurant. It won't result in a whole cheat day/cheat week/cheat forever because I'm not wired that way. I don't think "Oh, I've blown it so I might as well REALLY blow it". Last weekend I had Mexican. I've still lost 2 lbs in the past week.

I guess it all has to do with your relationship to food. Some people find cheats to be essential to their sanity, some find them detrimental to their focus, and some (like me) just think everything's okay in moderation and don't stress about it as long as the scale is still headed in the right direction.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options

LOL

I knew that would come across as 'judgy' but the reason I posted this topic on the 'support' board is that I think the 'cheat day' concept is BAD especially for newcomers.

I DID go out of my way to say that going over on any particular day (like a special occasion) is NOT a cheat if it is within a weekly calorie target. Hell... even if you go over for the week it's not the end of the world. My 'problem' is with the concept of regular cheat days where people deliberately over-eat simply because its their 'cheat day'. It's just an idea that I think is detrimental to most people's diet aspirations and I dislike seeing the term pop up regularly on MFP.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

LOL

I knew that would come across as 'judgy' but the reason I posted this topic on the 'support' board is that I think the 'cheat day' concept is BAD especially for newcomers.

I DID go out of my way to say that going over on any particular day (like a special occasion) is NOT a cheat if it is within a weekly calorie target. Hell... even if you go over for the week it's not the end of the world. My 'problem' is with the concept of regular cheat days where people deliberately over-eat simply because its their 'cheat day'. It's just an idea that I think is detrimental to most people's diet aspirations and I dislike seeing the term pop up regularly on MFP.

This is why context matters.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Some people actually like to treat themselves to something they wouldn't allow themselves on "normal" days AND they have enough willpower to not make it a cheat week, that's how. Strange concept, huh? Willpower.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat I work my *kitten* off to eat that damn cookie I've been wanting.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I have a "cheat" day where I can eat whatever I want and I eat slightly under my calorie goal for the rest of the week to kind of compensate a bit. Until recently it was actually cheat weekends but as I'm getting closer to my goal weight I've decided to cut back to one day. I've been doing this since I started MFP last june and I've steadily lost over 70lbs. It works for me because I can satisfy my cravings and I'm better able to stick to the plan the rest of the time. For me, trying to fit a small piece of chocolate or whatever into my already limited daily calories just doesn't work as well. This method won't work for everyone but doing a cheat day has helped me stay on track longer than I ever have before. :smile: