Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

I personally am on the same page with you-- HOWEVER-- you can't tell other people what to do and what is "bad" to do, because different people function different ways.

I struggle with binge-eating, so it's a slippery slope between allowing myself a "cheat" such as a box of M&Ms, and then proceeding to use that slip-up as an excuse to eat a bag of popcorn, then a pack of Ho-Hos, then some ice cream... you see where this is going. I have to be very, VERY careful to keep my goals in check.

And once I realized that I actually feel like crap on my binge days, I decided to cut them out of my planned routine. Of course they still happen-- I am human, I make mistakes. But I can honestly say that I at least try to stay closer to my calorie goal than my TDEE, and to not exceed my TDEE except once in a blue moon.

But you cannot force people to come to this realization, they have to come to it on their own. Or maybe, just maybe, they are functioning perfectly fine with their cheat days. Live and let live.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

What the h*ll is wrong with that?!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone would want a "cheat day". It's counterproductive after all your hard work. If I want a treat I log it in and make sure I have enough exercise calories to cover it. And if I just want to feel good, I don't grab a candy bar, I run my hands over my torso and feel the edges of my rib cage, which I couldn't feel two months ago. Or go and check how much closer I am to zipping up those two-sizes-smaller jeans.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are the worst idea ever for long-timers too. And by long-timers, I mean ME! I think they work for some people though?? Cheat days turn into spiral out of control cheat weeks and weight gain for me. I do eat junk, but I focus on balance.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have done "cheat" meals and every time I did it I gained weight, now I know it's water weight, but it takes the whole week to lose it. So no I know longer do the ""cheat" meals. Whatever I want I fit into my calories. :bigsmile:
  • losbeatlesmolan
    Options
    I don't like cheat days. I think it can really lead to eating disorders, forever forbidding yourself to eat and then having a day when you can eat whenever you want!!!!

the most difficult thing to achieve is a balanced diet - which means having a treat from time to time. balance is the key!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Free days have never derailed me, or caused me to miss a goal. I've lost 80 lbs with one free day a week. Even when I transferred to maintenance I lost 10 more lbs without even trying - never gave up my free day.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    What's with the Judgy McJudgersons lately....

LOL

I knew that would come across as 'judgy' but the reason I posted this topic on the 'support' board is that I think the 'cheat day' concept is BAD especially for newcomers.

I DID go out of my way to say that going over on any particular day (like a special occasion) is NOT a cheat if it is within a weekly calorie target. Hell... even if you go over for the week it's not the end of the world. My 'problem' is with the concept of regular cheat days where people deliberately over-eat simply because its their 'cheat day'. It's just an idea that I think is detrimental to most people's diet aspirations and I dislike seeing the term pop up regularly on MFP.

I would contend that while people may over-eat on "cheat days" when they start trying to modify their diet overall, that as time passes and they get used to making good decisions about what to eat that they would naturally indulge less and less on "cheat days" because they successfully replace the habit of poor decisions with the habit of good decisions. So the cheat day provides someone with a security blanket in the beginning.

And a lot of people need that. You know why? Because changing the way you eat is hard. I don't know what your personal history is or your relationship with food is, but i think, in general, it is much easier to achieve a long term goal through a series of short term goals, and cheat days allow for rewards and positive reinforcements for achieving short term goals.

I think it makes sense.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I never log Saturdays. Have whatever I want. Doughnuts, pizza, whatever. Has never hindered me and, in fact, has helped break some plateaus.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What's with the Judgy McJudgersons lately....

LOL

I knew that would come across as 'judgy' but the reason I posted this topic on the 'support' board is that I think the 'cheat day' concept is BAD especially for newcomers.

I DID go out of my way to say that going over on any particular day (like a special occasion) is NOT a cheat if it is within a weekly calorie target. Hell... even if you go over for the week it's not the end of the world. My 'problem' is with the concept of regular cheat days where people deliberately over-eat simply because its their 'cheat day'. It's just an idea that I think is detrimental to most people's diet aspirations and I dislike seeing the term pop up regularly on MFP.

I would contend that while people may over-eat on "cheat days" when they start trying to modify their diet overall, that as time passes and they get used to making good decisions about what to eat that they would naturally indulge less and less on "cheat days" because they successfully replace the habit of poor decisions with the habit of good decisions. So the cheat day provides someone with a security blanket in the beginning.

And a lot of people need that. You know why? Because changing the way you eat is hard. I don't know what your personal history is or your relationship with food is, but i think, in general, it is much easier to achieve a long term goal through a series of short term goals, and cheat days allow for rewards and positive reinforcements for achieving short term goals.

I think it makes sense.

^This!
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you're not a weight lifter, don't even think about cheat days.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you're not a weight lifter, don't even think about cheat days.

Well that is a silly statement
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

Motivation? No.
    Support? No.

Punishing me for having 2 slices of pizza and some french fries on Saturday while I stuck to my calorie deficit via food and exercise all week? Yes.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Motivation? No.
    Support? No.

Punishing me for having 2 slices of pizza and some french fries on Saturday while I stuck to my calorie deficit via food and exercise all week? Yes.

You might wanna actually try reading my post before you get all butt hurt.
  • anniebelle26
    anniebelle26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I let myself have a cheat day last friday. I gained 3 lbs when I weighed on monday. It took me till today to get back to where I was...not gonna do that again! lol.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Motivation? No.
    Support? No.

We read your original post. And we read the following posts.

You're coming off as a judgement jerk. Just because you can't hack a cheat day doesn't mean that other people can't.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

Motivation? No.
    Support? No.

Butt's doing great. Thighs however are hurting. Nice 5x5 set today.

I read your post. I am fairly confident in my reading and comprehension skills. I stand by my response. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No need to be dramatic to make your point. Choosing to have a high calorie day is in NO WAY like telling an alcoholic to drink.

I don't use the term myself, but I do have high calorie days occasionally. And since it is out of my normal diet, I suppose one could call it cheating if one wanted.

Personally, I doubt I'd succeed on a diet that required me to eat a consistent number of calories every day, or to never have a full on stuff your face day (and I'd definitely have to skip all future family reunions).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I can fit that in my calories, no problem (although I'll probably be a bit over on fat with the fries!). That's why I don't really understand the concept of cheat days. I think it just depends on what you consider 'cheat'. Is it just ordering a burger and fries and going over your goal by 500 calories, or totally cheating and eating 5000 calories of food? Because in the second case, you pretty much blew all your diet for the week, even if you were 500 under your TDEE every day... so I'm not seeing the point, unless it's a once a month thing.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

I can fit that in my calories, no problem (although I'll probably be a bit over on fat with the fries!). That's why I don't really understand the concept of cheat days. I think it just depends on what you consider 'cheat'. Is it just ordering a burger and fries and going over your goal by 500 calories, or totally cheating and eating 5000 calories of food? Because in the second case, you pretty much blew all your diet for the week, even if you were 500 under your TDEE every day... so I'm not seeing the point, unless it's a once a month thing.

Cheat days depend on the individual and what they view as 'cheating'. Maybe we should use a different word. Since I'm trying to find a happy balance between my calorie intake and my macros those two slices of pizza and fries may put me in the red. I am not a binge eater. Never was and don't plan on becoming one. So the probability of me going hard on a cheat day is 0. Indulging on them is a 'cheat' for me therefore I use the term cheat day.