Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Options

Replies

• squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Works for me. And I know that it means I can eat like normal when I hit goal and not be some absolute crazy person calorie counter my whole life. Intuitive eating is the ultimate goal, so I have to let myself "cheat" when it feels right. So far I've never had a week where I gained.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I don't call it cheating. But I don't log during the weekends.
    I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

I don't know what my calories are on the weekend but I am an endurance athlete and I train hard on my days off work, so I am sure I do not go over. I don't gain weight so I guess that's a good sign. I don't watch what I am eating because I am exercising so much. And since I know I train superhard on the weekends, I endulge in things I normally wouldn't endulge in during the week.
    Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this.

I agree that cheat DAYS can be a dangerous thing during weight loss. It would be entirely possible for me to consume enough calories in one DAY to undo the previous week's calorie deficit.

I agree with you that "cheats" of any kind are probably not necessary during the early weeks/months of weight loss.

I do believe in cheat MEALS once one is closer to maintenance. I tend to have a cheat meal and a sweet treat on the weekends, but I do not binge or overindulge to the extreme -- I just like to have a meal, either home cooked or restaurant, that I don't have to worry about fitting in my calorie limit or macros. It gives me a psychological break as well as allows me to enjoy favorite foods without guilt or shame.

I also agree with a previous poster that cheat meals are a reality -- birthday celebrations, social occasions, vacations, holidays, etc. are all things that count as a cheat meal for me. These days are a part of life, and while one may be dedicated enough in the early stages of weight loss to stick to their macros and calorie limit, it is not realistic to believe that we will never eat "off plan" again. In fact, often a splurge triggers guilt and shame, which may in turn trigger binges and drastic overeating in compulsive eaters.

I think it is far better to detach from rigid thinking, guilt and shame and plan an occasional cheat meal, than to cling to black and white/all or nothing thinking and feel like a failure for indulging once in a while.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Works for me. And I know that it means I can eat like normal when I hit goal and not be some absolute crazy person calorie counter my whole life. Intuitive eating is the ultimate goal, so I have to let myself "cheat" when it feels right. So far I've never had a week where I gained.

^^THIS! Thinking about logging calories and restricting myself for the rest of my life is SO depressing!
  • Esteffz
    Esteffz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and after having my Bby 3 years ago I gained 15 lbs that I have not been able too loose. I been really close to my goal but then it all comes back after I take a cheat day which really sucks. this is why I totally agree I feel like once you start eating bad you feel like you can have a cheat day anytime you want. This time i will not have a cheat day!
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    if i didnt have cheat days then i wudnt be where i am today,i usually cheat on a saturday maybe a sunday,then ive no problem gettin back on track monday, once you know its for one day only then whats the harm:)
  • tiffanyarowell
    Options
    Because food is awesome and delicious. I feel sorry for the people who never indulge in an amazing meal.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i drink a ton of whiskey on my cheat days. i say the same thing the following morning
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you.
    I don't do cheat days and I have had a lot of success. Why do something half arsed?
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Everyday so far has been a cheat day for me....I am cheating on unhealthy food with sexy natural healthy food lol Sorry guys couldn't resist. So far I don't need a cheat day and I felt bad going to Chili's tues for lunch after gym because it really boosted my freaking sodium. In general you shouldn't have to have a cheat day there are plenty of decent healthy choices that are good for you but I guess it really comes down to mind over matter, because if it doesn't matter you won't mind :D
  • holsieg
    holsieg Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree, but that doesn't mean I will never indulge, just much less frequently. I much prefer to have a static calorie goal, which is enough that I don't need to 'cheat'. Like, I've been craving a jam doughnut for the past week, and rather than thinking 'I'm going to eat 10 on a cheat day' I think, 'I have enough calories to have one as a snack'. Plus, I don't really eat junk that much, which means that a run the next day will have me almost throwing up if I eat junk!
  • meyerstwilight6
    meyerstwilight6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs and I have the occasional meal where I don't watch what I eat. For me it isn't every week but more like a couple times a month. It never leads to more than that because I have self control. Everyone knows how they are wired and if they are capable of just getting right back on track the following day. It isn't for everyone but I don't think they are a terrible thing by any means.
  • holsieg
    holsieg Posts: 21
    Options
    what just happened?
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I never log Saturdays. Have whatever I want. Doughnuts, pizza, whatever. Has never hindered me and, in fact, has helped break some plateaus.

*****Maybe I should try this, I am just afraid I would be sick.
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, but will allow a cheat meal for special occasions. I also struggle with binge eating, so I'm not overly concerned with a cheat day, it's the days that follow & the struggle to get back on track.

For a normal person, I don't see how one day eating at maintenance is going to derail someone, unless they struggle with resuming eating at a deficit.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Everyone's approach is going to be different but finding a method that allows you to adhere and be successful is everyone game plan though isn't it......

This is well said, and from a person who's clearly been VERY successful with his weight loss. (Ed's posts always inspire me)
    As for explaining to you, OP, why I personally go over my calorie allotment on a regular basis (I don't even call them cheat days, but there are usually one or two days a week that I either don't log or don't worry about overall calorie intake):

Because it works for me.

That's all that is important to me. It doesn't affect anyone else in my life. If it doesn't work for you, fine, but no reason to judge others or say that "cheat days" are the worst idea ever.
  • mnflame
    mnflame Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the word "cheat" when applied to so-called dieting. With that said, I'm also not a fan of the word "diet". Diet implies that it is something that is going to end at some point, something that has an expiration date. My aim, personally, is to make a lifestyle change. I want to change my life. I want to look and feel healthier and, yes, I want to lose weight, but I don't even look at that as my main goal. I haven't been on here for very long and Lord knows I've tried many other ways to lose weight, but always with the mindset of, "I want to lose weight". The "I want to be healthy and fit" approach seems to be working for me. Anyway, back to the original topic, I think "cheat" meals/days/weeks, etc. are a word for people who are dieting. And if it works for them, great. I know that there are days that I go over my calories (yesterday, for example), but I think that's life. And when one is trying to make a lifestyle change, there are no "cheats", there's just life.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat the same amount of calories no matter what day it is.. Holidays are for fat people to get fatter.

Ummm... NO. People get fat for overeating all year long, not just on holidays. Pretty ignorant remark.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can sure think of a lot better things to be angry about...
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT BY HAVING ONE LOUSY "CHEAT" DAY ONCE IN A WHILE. It takes an insane amount of calories to actually put on fat. If you "cheat" every single day, yes you will gain fat. Indulging and eating whatever you want on Christmas day is not going to ruin any success you've made. I ate like a cow on Easter, scale was up 3 lbs the next day, and was right back off the next day after that. Its water, salt, food going through your system.....it would have taken 10,500 calories over what I already burn to gain 3 lbs of fat. If you don't enjoy what you want sometimes, you'll just gain everything back eventually when you get sick of eating salad and water. Happened to me about 5 times in the last 10 years til I learned better and realized I can eat what I want and still lose weight.