Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Options

Replies

• agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cheat days can help keep a diet sustainable, but the diet won't work if a cheat day is undoing the calorie deficit from the other six days (which can easily happen). If you are in a calorie surplus, you will not lose weight.

I think the key is to cheat mindfully now and again while at the same time being accountable for your overall calorie intake and making sure you are still hitting that deficit inclusive of any cheating.
  • samanthalee87
    Options
    I do happen to agree with you completely towards cheat days. I eat healthy and the majority of my meals are clean but everyone now and then when I feel like pizza, or pasta, or some chips and beer with friends I won't limit myself because I'll fall off the wagon if I'm TOO rigid all the time. I'm not sure why people would do full cheat days either.
  • fitnessd0ll
    Options
    I understand cheat meals - but not cheat days. Cheat days are WAY too much, I know this from experience. Some people can have them and be 'responsible' meaning they don't binge, but for others, it's completely possible that they destroy a whole weeks worth of hard work in a day.
  • ainsleybtown
    Options
    Worst idea ever. Every time I have a cheat meal and go over, I gain. Not worth it to me now, not until I get closer to my goal at least.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm not cheating when I enjoy something beyond my normal...because I am not on a diet or an enforced regimen. I am living a more normal life, making healthy choices most of the time, and having an occasional indulgence. I'm not rewarding myself...any more than sticking more closely to my guidelines means I am punishing myself. I'm just living. Well.
  • trevvian
    trevvian Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    They should make a "whiners forum" on MFP, where you can post your complaints about how others go about losing weight and how other people's cheat days effect your life directly. Seriously, stop whining. People's "cheat days" have no effect on your body or your weight, so mind your own damn business and sod off, bro.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    They should make a "whiners forum" on MFP, where you can post your complaints about how others go about losing weight and how other people's cheat days effect your life directly. Seriously, stop whining. People's "cheat days" have no effect on your body or your weight, so mind your own damn business and sod off, bro.

You must have mistaken me for someone else. I'm not your 'Bro'.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    this thread is a joke
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    Cheat days < re-feedings

Depends on what you consider a cheat day. That can mean anything from going over your cals, or eating crap food. Even if an individual chooses to eat **** food for a day, they can still lose weight. So long as you're in a deficit.

Hey, I don't care if people have one or not. If it helps them ease the stress of a diet and stay dedicated to their ultimate goal, good for them. If people don't incorporate them, won't make me lose any sleep.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    How about a cheat week. Really just about 3 days. I wasn't feeling well. Extremely hungry and low energy. I slept 2 hrs on one night. The next day I came home and cleaned up after moving. Had about 7 hrs sleep. So I ate more than usual. Increased activity but just ate. Cereal for breakfast a taco burrito and poptart for dinner. Not usual items I eat. But now I feel full have more energy and will resume eating more healthful eating. I really ate what I wanted. I didn't eat chocolate icecream etc. Used common sense but did eat more than normal and higher calories and sugar. About 500 calories per day over for 3 days.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The alcohol analogy is very dumb. Not everyone that stops drinking alcohol is addicted to alcohol. Not everyone that starts eating healthy is/was addicted to food. So saying that cheat meals are not good is absolutely ridiculous. In every way possible. Just because something doesn't work for YOU, does not mean it doesn't work for everyone. You must be real slow if you think that.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. Contrary to what some might think...if I had a cheat day...I could definitely eat 3500 calories. Personally I think cheat days is what got me to the unhealthy weight I was. I splurge once in a while...but ONE thing! Not even a whole meal sometimes. Just my opinion. I'm looking for a lifestyle change...not a quick way to lose weight only to have to do it again.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat I work my *kitten* off to eat that damn cookie I've been wanting.

^^^^ This!!!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. Contrary to what some might think...if I had a cheat day...I could definitely eat 3500 calories. Personally I think cheat days is what got me to the unhealthy weight I was. I splurge once in a while...but ONE thing! Not even a whole meal sometimes. Just my opinion. I'm looking for a lifestyle change...not a quick way to lose weight only to have to do it again.

Guess what though, a lifestyle change can also include enjoying unhealthy foods. I refuse to never touch fries anymore. That mindset I find unhealthy. I do not usually eat them but once a month, so what? This is going to happen in the next 60 (hopefully :P) years or so. It'll be more sustainable when you allow yourself to have unhealthy things you like every so often and know that it's ok than when you completely restrict yourself. Just mho.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week. I don't gorge myself, just eat my maintenance level rather than a weight loss level. I've only experienced weight gain afterwards unless I consumed a lot of sodium which is just water weight anyway that quickly drops off. I just know myself and that if I don't give myself some of the food I like ever so often, then I'm more likely to have a mega binge when I'm Ina high stress situation.

You just have to do what works for you. Don't like the idea of a "cheat day"? Then don't have one.
  • pierredrama
    Options
    Cheat day, don't call it that way ... It's reward day.
    I don't know about you, but since i'm not on a diet, it's a lifestyle in which i eat healthy all year long, so i think i deserve a day without restrictions.
    You don't have to gorge yourself, but if you're clever enough, having a cheat day during a week of clean eating is totally doable.
    I don't like incorporing high calorie food during the week because having a cookie or a slice of pizza doesn't make me happy, i like to be able to eat more of that.

So eat good food during the week, reach your calorie deficit and your macros, exercice and give yourself a cheat day :)

I'm 10% bodyfat and i have a cheat day every saturday ;) (and i'm still cutting).
    img0282kx.jpg