Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Butt's doing great. Thighs however are hurting. Nice 5x5 set today.

I read your post. I am fairly confident in my reading and comprehension skills. I stand by my response. :flowerforyou:

:laugh: :love:
  • cheerupbrighteyes
    cheerupbrighteyes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I do it as often as once a week, but I do like to plan a day where I can eat a meal for whatever I've been craving. It reminds me that I am in control of what I eat. I hate the mindset of "oh I can't eat that". Pfft, yes I can! To think of never letting myself indulge on pizza and beers, or Chinese food, is so depressing :C.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    IMO, cheat days most often happen when people are too restrictive with their diets.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    IMO, cheat days most often happen when people are too restrictive with their diets.

I totally agree with this!
  • fayeonherway
    Options

:laugh: :love:

:blushing:
    :drinker:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm supporter of cheat days on special occasions! I want to enjoy my birthday, 4th of July bbqs, Thanksgiving, ect. without worrying about staying in my calorie range. It doesn't derail me. In fact, I think it's a good thing-if I were more strict about my diet, I would probably burn out!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I eat the same amount of calories no matter what day it is.. Holidays are for fat people to get fatter.

Holidays are for Families and Friends to gather and to love and be loved...God Bless
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

Agreed!

I HATE the term cheat day - but a treat every so often is fine IIFYM!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating an insane amount of calories then there is no problem with having a "cheat day". Just the next day get back to eating what you normally eat.

If you don't have self control and can't handle one cheat day then no its going to end bad. Do what works for YOU don't worry about what others can handle.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of 'cheat days'. Whoever made the term up and promoted the idea has a lot to answer for.

I understand 'No exercise days' (rest days) but 'cheat days' I don't. I don't understand why someone would work hard all week then set aside a special day to blow it. I personally dont think going over calories on ANY day while staying within your weekly calorie goal is a cheat... that's just balancing your calorie intake over a week. But for the life of me I can't understand why someone would be on a 'diet' but set aside a day where they can eat whatever they want and think they are 'entitled' to it because they've been 'so good'. I mean who are they kidding?? Isn't that like telling an alcoholic they can drink as much as they want one day a week???

Look... I know this post will have already come across as all 'judgemental' but if there's any 'cheat day' advocates out there I'd love you to explain to me why cheat days are a good idea and how cheat days don't become 'cheat weeks' and how cheat weeks don't become blown diets.

I can only speak for myself. Sunday's are generally my 'fun food' day. I eat whatever I want and I don't obsess over my calories or macros. This has worked for me. I've been maintaining a healthy weight and working out for years. 'Cheat day' may not be the best term to use. But if it works for you who cares what you call it.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I eat the same amount of calories no matter what day it is.. Holidays are for fat people to get fatter.

Or for less anal fit and healthy people to indulge, knowing it'll come right off as they get back into their routine.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Or for less anal fit and healthy people to indulge, knowing it'll come right off as they get back into their routine.

Yes! What sikehl said!!!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I try to do something every day and I don't give myself cheat days or off days. Stuff comes up where I may miss something, but I don't pre-plan any cheat or off days. I know me.
  • rc322
    rc322 Posts: 22
    Options
    I cheat on Fridays and I think it's a good idea honestly. You can think what you would like. I only cheat on fridays for dinner and it allows me to control myself throughout the week. I don't think you sound judgmental but you aren't very open minded. People can do what they want when it works for them.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, Cassius. I've worked so hard to lose 50 pounds and I can't take the chance I'll gain ANY of it back. It's hard to lose and oh so easy to put back on. My "cheat" days have been to go 20 calories over, even on holidays. I ate a cupcake one day and only went over by 13 calories. NOT gonna gain it back!
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If I am going to a party or it's a holiday I'd rather enjoy myself. On Easter we went out to Brunch and I ordered stuffed french toast... plus ate some bread on the table and a brownie. I didn't bother tracking that day. Monday I was back on track and guess what? I still lost. I understand that one bad day doesn't ruin a diet as long as you are eating healthy most of the time. Not having a bad day just isn't realistic. For me anyway.
  • claudiacarlin108
    claudiacarlin108 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    it's not just about keeping you sane. there's scientific validation for cheat days, it helps boost your metabolism and ensure that your body doesn't hit a plateau diet-wise and start storing fat because of low calorie intake.

it's clearly not the worst idea ever as some of the most fit people in the world do it, i.e. bodybuilders. all explained here:

http://bodyfitformula.com/the-cheat-day-part-one/
  • gg0502
    gg0502 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I AGREE
    CHEAT DAYS LEAD TO CHEAT WEEKS THAT LEAD TO CHEAT MONTHS THAT LEAD TO CHEAT YEARS
    I DO BELIEVE YOU CAN EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT GO OVER YOUR ALLOTTED CALORIES
    THAT IS WHY I PREFER COUNTING CALORIES
    I HAVE LOST 55LBS IN 14 MONTHS TRYING TO MAINTAIN NOW
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I totally understand this, I am one of those who would turn a cheat day into more than that. Maybe a few months from now when I'm certain I have this under control I will loosen up a bit.
  • WAnnB
    WAnnB Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I call mine 'no calorie count' days. I still log. Sometimes I go way over and sometimes I don't. Works for me.