What diet method are you using and Is it working for you?

Options

Replies

• paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Doing my own thing, counting calories at about TDEE-20% give or take exercise calories if im hungry or not.
    and it certainly working, losing 1 kilo a week on average so far the past 6 weeks
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I try to eat better not healthy only because I don't really have the option to buy many "healthy foods" it's going ok for me thus far. I focus more on portion control but I do keep in mind my sodium and sugar intake. I am aware of the calories I consume, but numbers don't really run my world.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Eat between my BMR and TDEE
    Lift Heavy when I get the chance
    Keep moving in some way
    Enjoy a variety of food

Yep it's working, I plateau from time to time but get past it by cycling my calories and varying my food and excercise. So far so good :drinker:
  • slimjaques
    slimjaques Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm new (again) but am on day 3 of the Body for Life for Women program. 5 small meals a day - 5 lean proteins, 5 carbs (fruits, legumes, whole grains) and a couple of fats. Lost 4 pounds. Working out 5-6 days a week with at least 30 minute cardio plus weights. Also just started slim in six. I have 3 months to lose 20 pounds. Serious!
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1400 calories a day. I choose healthy foods and try and eat as clean as possible but Im not gonna cut out processed food completely. On days I cheat, I still make better choices than I would have before. We dont eat white bread or white pasta. whole wheat only and lots more fruits and veggies.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been looking up new recipes from around the globe. A lot of Chinese recipes can be very slimming. I tend to take recipe books out from the library from all different cultures. There is one thing that most countries have in common, some one is trying to lose weight so it great to see what other people do.

The only "slimming" foods are those that are eaten as part of an overall diet that is less calories eaten than utilized.

Bu yeah, tasty foods from around the world can certainly be a part of that.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have never even learned anything about any methods. Eating slightly less, eating much healthier, moving more. Basically, I plugged in my info to MFP and I pay attention to my numbers on here. I try to stay close to my macro guidelines, and I definitely try to stick close to my calorie goal. I could probably lose more quickly on some sort of system. But I know I wouldn't be consistant and I wouldn't like it, it just doesn't fit my mentality. This does.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I do my best to count calories, make healthy food choices, exercise regularly, get plenty of rest, and try not to freak out when i stumble along way.

I'm doing the Captain Apollo method :smile:
  • legallyheidi87
    legallyheidi87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried NutriSystem a few years ago...I lost weight, but the food killed my intestinal tract. I tried WW, and lost 30 of my 43 with it (my subscription ran out last month), but it's a bit pricey to pay the online subscription, when I can just use this. I am counting calories and Zumba-ing 5 days per week.
  • tnixon119
    tnixon119 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Counting calories in EVERY thing I eat. It is really making me realize how much I was eating before. Also trying to be more active. My daughter got me started on My fitness pal and bought me a HRM watch. Have lost 7 lbs so far. Lots more to go but I have realized that it took many months to put on all the extra baggage so it will be a process to take it off, too. Perserverance!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I count calories, eat the foods that I love in moderation, and work out 5 days a week. Mostly strength training the last few weeks, but I do Zumba whenever I can.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I do my best to count calories, make healthy food choices, exercise regularly, get plenty of rest, and try not to freak out when i stumble along way.

the Captain knows what's what.
  • ozonenrhia1
    Options
    I just started a clean diet, no processed food. I have only been doing it this way for 3 days so I will keep you updated lol.. I have been on MFP for 10 days and have lost 3 inches off my hips, 2 off my waist and 1 off my thighs and so far 1 pound muhahahah:)
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    First, I am not looking at this as a diet. I am looking at it as a life change. I decided that I wanted to be healthier so I wanted to start eating healthier. But first I had to find out what healthy eating was, so started studying. I came up with what was mentioned several times already. Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean meats, not doing a lot of red meats (not a problem, I prefer chicken anyway), nuts and other monounsaturated fats, lots of water and exercise. I usually eat 4 meals a day and try to keep them between 300 and 400 calories a piece. I do not go below 1200 calories, but try to keep it between 1200 and 1600 calories a day depending on my exercise level each day. Because of my busy life, I do a lot of the Smart one/Lean Cuisine meals during the week--not ideal, but helps keep me on task. Each weekend, after doing my grocery shopping, I will make up baggies of fresh veggies (my favorite is combining broccoli and baby carrots), and having them in the fridge for a quick easy snack. I will also portion out nuts into servings and know how many calories are in each baggie.

My body responds to this style of eating. Since cutting out most refined sugar, I find that I do not crave it. I can see all the goodies people post on facebook without drooling. Since this is a lifestyle change, I am learning not to deny myself, but take a taste/bite of a goodie rather than totally deny myself having it, and allowing myself a fun/unhealthy meal or entree once in a while, log it, and not feel guilty about going over my allowed calories. Again, this is once in a while. I save it for special occasions, or special activities (maybe once every week or two), and just try to be careful the rest of the day (or earlier in the day). I find that cravings are at a minimum, I am not hungry, but for the most part feel satisfied during the day, and I have dropped 34.2 pounds since January 4. Yes, it is working for me and I feel like I can live with this the rest of my life. (I have about 80 pounds left to lose)
  • lisacsmith16
    lisacsmith16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am using the Body By Vi shakes... 1 in the am 1 for lunch healthy snacks like apple's with peanut butter, popcorn ect... Then a HEALTHY DINNER! LEAN chicken grilled on a salad with plenty of fresh fruit and vegs... I like the shakes because I hated to eat in the am.. Made me ill to look at food... But I can add frozen unsweetened fruit to my morning shake and make a nice smoothie.. I AM FULL . I started 14 days ago and I have lost 4 pounds... That is 2 pounds per week and a healthy loss. I am 185 pounds and my goal is 30lbs.... Hope this helps
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    I was on many diets.
    ex.)
    -South Beach Diet = Lame.
    -Weight Watchers = Decent. (Best I lost was 10 lbs years ago then fell out of doing it.)
    etc.

Honestly I just do the research and adjust as I go.
    The diet that works for me is the following.
    ex.)
    -Lean Protein: Chicken, Fish, Shellfish, Turkey, Lamb, etc.
    [Limit Pork/Beef intake to 1 serving/week at most.]

-Carbohydrates: Fruit, Veggies, Grains, Sweet Potatoes, etc.
    [Limit the fruit intake to 1 serving/day and eat mostly veggies. Think about if you have for example 50g of sugar as your max to eat a day fruit is 12-14g of sugar/serving on average while vegetables is 2-4g of sugar/serving or no sugar at all.]

-Fats: Omega 3 (Fish Oil), Avocadoes, Unsalted Nuts, etc.

-Sodium Intake: Keep it as low as possible because too much salt can result in weight water retention.
    (Considering water makes up most of your body that's a lot of weight that can potentially be stored.)

-Water: I drink a gallon or more of water/day.
    (16 oz glass X 8 glasses = 128 oz)

-Calcium: Limit it as much as possible because there's sugar/fat in dairy products like milk, yogurt, etc.
    (If I do drink milk once in awhile I would drink Skim Milk.)

Do the research for yourself and find what works for you because everyone works differently and has different goals they want to accomplish.

My goal is to get toned and improve my stamina.
    (If I build some strength along the way then cool.)

Calorie Intake:
    1,200-1,300
    (Somewhere in that range or a little bit higher but mostly in that range.)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic eating.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The "Get off your *kitten* and stop eating junk" diet. It's amazing, y'all should try it.