What diet method are you using and Is it working for you?

Options

Replies

• Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Less Snacking & Alcohol... I'm not saying cut it out completely, but I've greatly reduced both (slipped up now & then, but am only human) and noticed the weight staying off longer
  • andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Slim fast, I usually only manage to stick to it Monday to Friday but I generally loose about 4 pound a week on it!
  • JaymeLS
    JaymeLS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have congestive heart failure and all I'm doing is watching my sodium between 1500-2000. This site sure helps me to keep track of it. You don't realize how much is in some foods til you log it. I try to walk as much as I'm allowed by my cardiologist.
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    60% protein, 30% carbs, 10% fats.

A slight caloric deficit each day.

Lift hard - all muscle groups - that alone requires 5 workout sessions per week.

Cardio: four to six quarter-mile sprints on a treadmill after each lifting session. Hop on a bike and get some sunshine too.

And the end of the day, if I'm over my caloric goal, I "true up" walking on a treadmill watching my favorite shows on netflix. A 42 minute tv program, while walking only 3.5 mph, will burn 300+ calories.

8 glasses of water per day.

8 hours of sleep.

It works.
  • greenangeleyes
    greenangeleyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on week 5 of calorie counting. I eat what I want, when I want, just keep track of my calorie goals for each day. Although I do tend to make more healthy choices than not, sometimes a little low cal icecream is needed. : ) I lost 5 lbs in 4 weeks! I lost 3 lbs in the first 2 weeks without exercise!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Count calories.
    Move my body every single day, some more than others.
    Get adequate sleep.

"Health is the first muse and sleep is the condition to produce it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    One of my favorite quotes. So true.

I also try not to obsess over the scale and give myself the foods I want on occasion so I can do this forever,
    It is finally a true lifestyle change and no longer feels like a regimen, it's just life now and how I choose to live it.

Getting serious about yoga rather than half-assing my visits or my time spent in practice has been
    a major catalyst to this mindset.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just watch my macros and stay at least a few hundred calories under my TDEE. It's working well.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I lost 42lb counting calories, exercising and using MFP then as soon as I stopped, I ate it all back.

I am now fasting two days a week and am looking to this as a way of eating for life - I will start exercising again eventually but will only be fasting on my least active days.

Of the two methods, fasting works better for me
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Track ALL the things!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't think of myself on a diet anymore, because then I can't break it!

I am counting calories, it took me a while to work out the amount that works for me, but the MFP method plus exercise calories seems to work. I also have a FitBit One and that helps give me an estimate TDEE figure as well, which I use to subtract a deficit.

On the food side of things, I have eliminated most processed foods, grains and added sugar from my diet. Once the added sugar is gone, I find that I don't crave it. I eat lots of veggies, protein, berries and oranges, Love Greek yoghurt, drink water and wine :)

I do 3 x weight training per week, lift heavy. Plus 2 x HIIT bike sessions, 20 minutes. And I walk to work weekdays which is almost an hour walking, split into 4 parts.

This is working quite well for me, I have lost 12kg this year, and maintained my lean body mass %.

Great thread, I'm loving reading everyone's plans!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    A mixture of calorie counting and No S. It works for me!
  • Karinlisa
    Karinlisa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have tried various diets with limited success - but when I count calories and be really honest with an online food diary , I lose weight if I stick to 1100-1400. It means I can eat anything ( although I do try to eat healthily) but if I eat something I shouldn't I count it in. It's about being honest with myself ..... Ps I use weightloss resources
  • Karinlisa
    Karinlisa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just realised -from my last post that I have lost nothing but I have lost nearly two stone over a few years but wanted to start a fresh ticker!
  • moulinette92
    moulinette92 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Count calories and work out every day.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Keeping track of my macros (carbs, fat, and protein; no calories), eating balanced meals, exercise 6 times a week with a blend of strength training (making sure I get all my pushing, pulling movements as well as legs, of course!) and cardio :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Diet? Huh? Diets fail sorry.

I prefer to eat properly FULL time rather than for a short time & then gain it all back. I've NEVER been on a diet in my life...not once. I changed my eating habits Feb 2012 & never looked back.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm on the eat whatever I want as long as I'm under my calories diet.

This pretty much, I haven't had much to lose but it's slowly coming off. Stil have what I want don't view it as a diet at all. Try and throw in an exercise DVD 4 x a week, so nothing to much but works for now!
  • xxanishxx
    xxanishxx Posts: 212
    Options
    312767_377678738992153_1633615100_n.jpg
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

I prefer to eat properly FULL time rather than for a short time & then gain it all back. I've NEVER been on a diet in my life...not once. I changed my eating habits Feb 2012 & never looked back.

^^^ I suppose it's different for everybody, I think I HAVE to diet to lose weight and keep it off. I've tried just exercising in the past (I gained weight!). I ate reasonably healthily before I started dieting and didn't lose weight (I gained!). Dieting seems to work for me for weight loss (I haven't reached maintenance yet).

I would love to be like you and not to have to diet, and in fact I was like that for many years before I gained the weight and I think it's a healthy way to be if it works. I would love to think that I could stop dieting when I reach goal, but I don't think that's going to be the case. I think some of us will have to be on a diet for the forseeable future.

I know that dieting does often fail, but there doesn't seem to be a better solution!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

^^^ I suppose it's different for everybody, I think I HAVE to diet to lose weight and keep it off. I've tried just exercising in the past (I gained weight!). I ate reasonably healthily before I started dieting and didn't lose weight (I gained!). Dieting seems to work for me for weight loss (I haven't reached maintenance yet).

I would love to be like you and not to have to diet, and in fact I was like that for many years before I gained the weight and I think it's a healthy way to be if it works. I would love to think that I could stop dieting when I reach goal, but I don't think that's going to be the case. I think some of us will have to be on a diet for the forseeable future.

I know that dieting does often fail, but there doesn't seem to be a better solution!

This time last year I was fat, 14 months ago I was eating junk all day every day & not working out. I never dieted because I didnt see the need to. Once I started eating better & exercising I started losing weight...no diet. Lifestyle change. Diet is short term, I'm in it for life..... so yeah for the rest of my life this is the way I'll be eating. & working out. I didn't get here by thinking short term. As long as I keep eating great & exercising I'll be good. But no way am I classing this as a diet. Nor should anyone else.

Nobody HAS to diet, it's all about making sure you are within a calorie goal & sticking to it for life.