I've tried it all, but I cannot lose any weight!

Options

Replies

• bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    "I hardly eat any cakes or pies or ice cream anymore."

How do you know if this ^^^ is correct if you don't log it. You may be munching through more than you realise.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    1) Calculate your body fat percentage (BF%)

2) Calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR)

3) Calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)

4) Based on your BF%, determine what deficit is best for you. (TDEE-20%, 15% or 10%)

OR in lieu of steps 1-4, use MFP's deficit recommendation.

5) Log your calories accurately and consistently, and eat at that deficit for at least 8 weeks.

If you want to do this, we will help you. We have all the resources you need.

If you don't want to do this, you're barking up the wrong tree. MFP is a calorie counting site. And unless you've actually done what I've outlined above, don't come here and tell us it doesn't work!

can someone do this for me lol I am just going by what FP gave me when I logged in from the other site i used to be on :/ So far this one is way better

I will help you if you want. Just PM me so we don't hijack the thread. :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    All I see here is a person who wants an easy way out, and is willing to blame genetics and everything else under the sun, but doesn't want to do things the right way. At some point in your life, you have to say to yourself, "I'm fat because I let myself get fat. It is no one else's fault." Until then, don't bother asking for "advice" if you can't handle the (very sound) advice people are going to give you.

My mother is more than 400 pounds. My father is more than 300 pounds. Both have type II diabetes, as do both sets of their parents. They both have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. But here I am, working out anyway because it is no one's fault but my own that I am fat, even though I am genetically predisposed to be fat. You have to actually want it for yourself before you can make any changes.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always read that keeping a food journal really is integral to losing weight. I never did it. I have for the past year-and it works. Also am working out regularly-tedious? sometimes? worth it? HELL YES
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    . You have to actually want it for yourself before you can make any changes.

And want it badly enough to WORK at it!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Well look at mr.6 pack. I KNOW this is harder for me to lose weight because of Genetics. My mother, grandmother along with many other women in my family are overweight. I was always able to stay at a decent size. Until recently.
    I'm not a troll or stupid. You don't know what this is like because men naturally are able to lose weight faster than women. I'm not lazy either. You haven't seen how hard I've been working. Again, you can stop posting here if you don't like the topic.

Now you're blaming your family for it? Genetics?

You made me LOL. So much my dog jumped up and gave me the stink eye.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: you have not filled out anything in your diary! if you start to log everyday what you eat, then you will be able to get a grip on the problem! if you don't log then you could be eating wrong & weight does not just fall off because you want it to! i am sending a friend request your way because you really need some help with this & i am on here several times a day commenting on my friends diaries & making suggestions. please accept my help & i think we both can meet our goals!
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Looking for something to change? How about your attitude? All I am hearing is "can't, doesn't, and won't."

If there is a will, there is a way. It all starts in the mind.

Then, once you have that sorted out you can come back when you are willing to try all the advice on this site. Counting calories isn't that hard. Especially once you've done it for a few weeks. The hardest part about counting calories is being honest. Did you really eat 16 potato chips? or was it more like two handfuls which actually was 25 chips?
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Question for you, what does calorie counting mean to you? When you say you tried it but was always hungry, it makes me wonder if you were doing a straight up 1200 calorie diet (which is brutal and unnecessary for most people)? Have you calculated your TDEE and tried TDEE-20% to lose weight? I find this approach MUCH less restrictive and the weight is still coming off at a reasonable rate.

I didn't see you mention the information that PU_ posted on the first page about breaking a plateau, you both posted at the time so I wonder if you might have missed it.

If you are doing something like Atkins, have you read the books or are you trying to go by the website/internet? I found the books went into much more detail and there is a lot of misinformation on the internet (DH lost his weight doing low-carb, it is not what I ended up doing). There are also diet specific forums out there for things like Atkins and you would get a lot more specific support there since MFP is not really keen on cutting out food groups.

The most important thing is to believe you can do it, and I hope you are able to find that in yourself first. Best of luck, :flowerforyou:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when everyone around you is able to lose weight and for whatever reason, it isn't happening for you. I grew up overweight and during my senior year in high school, I revamped my eating and activity levels and lost weight. Has it been easy since then? Nope. I've gained and lost since then. But I've never went back to being as heavy as I was in high school. And by the grace of God, I won't!

There are some things you might want to take a look at.
    *What am I eating? Calories are calories but you need to get the most nutritional value from your food. Make it count. You might have to eat a cleaner diet, with little or no processed food. Skip the crackers, cookies, etc.-there's little nutritional value there. Eat an apple with peanut butter or a small handful of nuts instead.

*Switch up your workouts. Would you get bored watching the same movie over and over? Of course you would! Your body might be bored with doing the same workouts too and is probably more efficient at burning calories now. Change it up. Do intervals. Add some weight training. You'll burn more calories at rest if you add more muscle and your bones will thank you later too!

*Treat your weight loss as a job. That means showing up for it every day and taking it seriously. Be accountable for what you eat by logging your food-each and every bit. I guarantee you are eating more than you think it you aren't. It's so easy to miss 100 calories of bites, licks, and tastes of food. Those count too!

*Drink water-it really does make a difference. And it will help balance out the sodium in the food you eat.

*Limit your sodium intake. There is way too much sodium in our food and it's in sneaky-you'll find it in bread, soup, etc. Cut your sodium to 1500-200 and see if it helps your weight loss.

*If you still can't lose weight, see your doctor. It could be as simple as a thyroid issue. But, be serious about what you eat and logging your food first. That way, you can print off your food journals to show your doctor there is an issue.

*Don't give up-you'll get there, I promise. Have a positive attitude. And be ready to wear a smaller size this summer!:flowerforyou:
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options
    Either you're a troll, have some serious attention issues, or you're just stupid. I'm sick of lazy people saying they have tried it all when they probably spent 2 weeks on a diet or workout regime. If you're from the States this is what is wrong with our country. Everyone is looking for a quick fix. Do some back research if you are not willing to accept the advice people are giving you here. If you have truly tried everything like you have said then something would have clicked by now. You're lazy and you probably won't succeed if you keep your current attitude up. No one is going to give you the body you want, only you can do that!

Don't take my post the wrong way but you're the type of person that needs tough love and to hear the truth in order to be motivated. Take your pity party some where else, no one is interested in your sob story.

PM me sometime if you wanna talk but take your crying elsewhere.
    Well look at mr.6 pack. I KNOW this is harder for me to lose weight because of Genetics. My mother, grandmother along with many other women in my family are overweight. I was always able to stay at a decent size. Until recently.
    I'm not a troll or stupid. You don't know what this is like because men naturally are able to lose weight faster than women. I'm not lazy either. You haven't seen how hard I've been working. Again, you can stop posting here if you don't like the topic.

I have the fat gene too
    11390926_2269.jpg
    11390926_7103.jpg

When I started to refocus the fat gene went away
    11390926_9981.jpg

What an AMAZING transformation!!! Thx for sharing and being an inspiration :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    One more thing-I heard someone say that genetics and family history might load the gun, but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. In other words, it's only part of the equation. You have more control over what happens than you might think!
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    Question for you, what does calorie counting mean to you? When you say you tried it but was always hungry, it makes me wonder if you were doing a straight up 1200 calorie diet (which is brutal and unnecessary for most people)? Have you calculated your TDEE and tried TDEE-20% to lose weight? I find this approach MUCH less restrictive and the weight is still coming off at a reasonable rate.

I didn't see you mention the information that PU_ posted on the first page about breaking a plateau, you both posted at the time so I wonder if you might have missed it.

If you are doing something like Atkins, have you read the books or are you trying to go by the website/internet? I found the books went into much more detail and there is a lot of misinformation on the internet (DH lost his weight doing low-carb, it is not what I ended up doing). There are also diet specific forums out there for things like Atkins and you would get a lot more specific support there since MFP is not really keen on cutting out food groups.

The most important thing is to believe you can do it, and I hope you are able to find that in yourself first. Best of luck, :flowerforyou:
    Back when I was logging here, there was the option to lose 1lb a week .5 pounds a week etc. So I was trying around 1500 but it didn't work so I pushed it up a little. Most recently, I was using the Loseit! App on my phone and it was about 1800 cals a day. I did see a few posts that I have opened in the other tab I need to google what they mean though. I'm going to try those.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Did you really eat 16 potato chips?

Who DOES that? :laugh:

tumblr_m5ojmo2U6Z1rvtuxmo1_250.gif
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    It's frustrating when everyone around you is able to lose weight and for whatever reason, it isn't happening for you. I grew up overweight and during my senior year in high school, I revamped my eating and activity levels and lost weight. Has it been easy since then? Nope. I've gained and lost since then. But I've never went back to being as heavy as I was in high school. And by the grace of God, I won't!

There are some things you might want to take a look at.
    *What am I eating? Calories are calories but you need to get the most nutritional value from your food. Make it count. You might have to eat a cleaner diet, with little or no processed food. Skip the crackers, cookies, etc.-there's little nutritional value there. Eat an apple with peanut butter or a small handful of nuts instead.

*Switch up your workouts. Would you get bored watching the same movie over and over? Of course you would! Your body might be bored with doing the same workouts too and is probably more efficient at burning calories now. Change it up. Do intervals. Add some weight training. You'll burn more calories at rest if you add more muscle and your bones will thank you later too!

*Treat your weight loss as a job. That means showing up for it every day and taking it seriously. Be accountable for what you eat by logging your food-each and every bit. I guarantee you are eating more than you think it you aren't. It's so easy to miss 100 calories of bites, licks, and tastes of food. Those count too!

*Drink water-it really does make a difference. And it will help balance out the sodium in the food you eat.

*Limit your sodium intake. There is way too much sodium in our food and it's in sneaky-you'll find it in bread, soup, etc. Cut your sodium to 1500-200 and see if it helps your weight loss.

*If you still can't lose weight, see your doctor. It could be as simple as a thyroid issue. But, be serious about what you eat and logging your food first. That way, you can print off your food journals to show your doctor there is an issue.

*Don't give up-you'll get there, I promise. Have a positive attitude. And be ready to wear a smaller size this summer!:flowerforyou:
    I appreciate this. For me it was the opposite. In high school, I was around 138-140 then after coming to college I gained my current weight. I'm going to start paying more attention to the sodium for sure.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    people often want to hear that there's a magic trick.
    take a suppliment, eat everything but wheat, only eat after midnight, etc.
    or that they have a special reason why it's harder for them than for anyone else.
    genetics, a condition, the devil magically adding fat to your butt while you sleep.

lots of people feel the same. that's why there's a multi billion $ industry of fad diets, pills & potions that very rarely work.

the simple fact is that, whatever method you use, you need to burn more than you eat in order to lose weight. if you eat 50000 cals of veges a day you'll put on weight. if you eat nothing but 500 cals of junk food a day you'll starve. so you have three choices... you up what you burn, you reduce what you eat, or you up what you burn AND reduce what you eat.

it's not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    OK - I get the impression you're a university student. Cafeteria food can be a real problem because the budgets lend themselves to high carb/high fat processed "junk". I can see how you always be hungry limiting calories on that sort of offering. There ARE possibilities, though. Does the cafeteria have a salad bar of some sort? If so, make lettuce/greens the bulk of at least one daily meal, supplementing with mostly low starch vegetables (tomato, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, etc), add just a few ounces of protein - the equivalent of one small chicken breast or 2 thin slices of cheese or some legumes, like garbanzo beans (stick with just one protein source). Use a dash of olive oil and some vinegar for dressing - or even better is Taco sauce - very low fat and lots of spice. Learn portion sizes - how much a 1/2 cup looks like and try to limit the high starch casseroles and fill up on healthier vegetables. Oatmeal or an egg is probably a better choice for breakfast than overly processed "cold" cereal or pastry. Plan a couple of healthy snacks for between meals. Plain rice cakes have only about 35 calories each and can be topped with jam, honey, peanut butter or hummus without burning too many of your daily calorie allotment and don't tend to feed your appetite (make you rebound in a ravenous state 30 minutes later like sugary snacks)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to work on your attitude.

You have a lot of excellent advice here, so I don't need to add more.

Good luck.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    When you logged your food, how long did you do it for? A week, a month?
    You clearly didn't give it enough of a shot for you to notice any patterns or triggers.

Just log your food - CONSISTENTLY - and learn what makes you tick. Then, work out a plan to change what you're doing.

We can't give you a quick fix - if it was THAT easy we'd all be skinny! You have to WANT to do this, not just half-*kitten* it and hope someone will take pity on you and give you the answer sheet because you can't be bothered to work (it) out for yourself.

Life's hard pal, get used to it.

PS. drink more water.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    OK - I get the impression you're a university student. Cafeteria food can be a real problem because the budgets lend themselves to high carb/high fat processed "junk". I can see how you always be hungry limiting calories on that sort of offering. There ARE possibilities, though. Does the cafeteria have a salad bar of some sort? If so, make lettuce/greens the bulk of at least one daily meal, supplementing with mostly low starch vegetables (tomato, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, etc), add just a few ounces of protein - the equivalent of one small chicken breast or 2 thin slices of cheese or some legumes, like garbanzo beans (stick with just one protein source). Use a dash of olive oil and some vinegar for dressing - or even better is Taco sauce - very low fat and lots of spice. Learn portion sizes - how much a 1/2 cup looks like and try to limit the high starch casseroles and fill up on healthier vegetables. Oatmeal or an egg is probably a better choice for breakfast than overly processed "cold" cereal or pastry. Plan a couple of healthy snacks for between meals. Plain rice cakes have only about 35 calories each and can be topped with jam, honey, peanut butter or hummus without burning too many of your daily calorie allotment and don't tend to feed your appetite (make you rebound in a ravenous state 30 minutes later like sugary snacks)
    This is definitely where I've gained a lot of the weight. I used to eat the burgers and milkshakes and soda.... but since then I've cut those things out completely. I've been substituting as well so instead of a cheeseburger with fries, I get a turkey burger without fries. I thought those types of things would help.