I've tried it all, but I cannot lose any weight!

Options

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    You remind me of my mother. She "exercises" but never breaks a sweat. She doesn't understand why she's not losing weight but she doesn't track her calories. *facepalm*

This used to be me. What I figured out is that there is a major difference in the amount of calories burned doing lightly active stuff for a long time (standing around, walking a bit, light gardening) and running for 4 miles. Does not even compare, not in the tiniest.

I have a thyroid issue, and I thought that I did actually do everything right at various points. Looking back, if I'm totally honest, I did WW and plateaued out for a long time (over a year). I wasn't eating my exercise calories and I wasn't lifting weights (just cardio), no friggin' wonder my weight loss stalled. So, I bailed. A few years later I tried again with the same results.

Because I'm a rare special snowflake, my TSH levels were normal, but my T4 levels were pathetically low. So, my problem didn't show up on any test until my T4 levels were checked. It was a simple easy test. I will add that my meds make it possible to lose weight while working my rear off, it doesn't give me a free pass. I log every thing I eat and I exercise in a way that increases my fitness and performance: meaning I'm always pushing in my workouts. The pills help, but it's me busting my rear that is making it happen at all. My T4s are still low, but I'm killing this fitness thing over the long haul anyway (screw genetics), so I can deal with it until we tinker my prescription to a level that is normal.

There was no magic bullet except for me busting butt (spending 3 minutes a day logging is the least of it), and plenty of amazing wonderful people on this site who showed me how it's done right and encourage me through the slow times. You guys know who you are :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

So, suck it up and get to work, if it's really what you want.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When you logged your food, how long did you do it for? A week, a month?
    You clearly didn't give it enough of a shot for you to notice any patterns or triggers.

Just log your food - CONSISTENTLY - and learn what makes you tick. Then, work out a plan to change what you're doing.

We can't give you a quick fix - if it was THAT easy we'd all be skinny! You have to WANT to do this, not just half-*kitten* it and hope someone will take pity on you and give you the answer sheet because you can't be bothered to work (it) out for yourself.

Life's hard pal, get used to it.

PS. drink more water.
    Tried this as well. But isn't water weight a concern??

Um. No. Water will help flush out sodium and assorted metabolic wastes that accumulate if you are not drinking enough water. Excess sodium will cause you to retain fluid.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    OP, I know what you mean about not wanting to calorie count! I've tried different variations on my diet in the past (not necessarily to lose weight) and usually they made NO difference to my weight. You can eat healthily, but it seems as if you'll tend to eat enough to maintain your weight. In fact, I got fat eating fairly healthily and moderately.

What started me losing weight this time round was the No S diet (if you google it you'll see the simple rules). It was a great start for me, because like you, I didn't want to calorie count or do something that felt too much like a diet, and this was fairly easy - just having three meals a day. I lost weight, but eventually changed to calorie counting. However, I've stuck with the basics of No S, more or less. I try not to eat between meals. It means I can eat more AT meals, which is more satisfying. It got me used to getting a little hungry in between meals and not worrying about it. I'm not saying there's anything magical about it or that it would suit everybody, but for me, it was a good way to start.

When it comes to calorie counting, I prefer to follow the method mentioned above ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm ) rather than the MFP method. I find it easier.

Best of luck!
    Thanks! This looks useful!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log here. And I've tried counting calories in the past. Its ridiculous, tedious, unrealistic and didn't work anyway.

Thousands of people have successfully lost weight counting calories. NO EXCUSES, just do it, you will see results.

11ag3gg.jpg
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I don't usually log here. And I've tried counting calories in the past. Its ridiculous, tedious, unrealistic and didn't work anyway.

I felt the same way when I started then you know what I pulled my head outta my butt, got a better attitude and it worked....

If your not loosing your over eating.... Weigh your food... It takes 1 min to weigh something out
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options

PS. drink more water.
    Tried this as well. But isn't water weight a concern??

*facepalm* oh geez... :noway:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    OP, I know what you mean about not wanting to calorie count! I've tried different variations on my diet in the past (not necessarily to lose weight) and usually they made NO difference to my weight. You can eat healthily, but it seems as if you'll tend to eat enough to maintain your weight. In fact, I got fat eating fairly healthily and moderately.

What started me losing weight this time round was the No S diet (if you google it you'll see the simple rules). It was a great start for me, because like you, I didn't want to calorie count or do something that felt too much like a diet, and this was fairly easy - just having three meals a day. I lost weight, but eventually changed to calorie counting. However, I've stuck with the basics of No S, more or less. I try not to eat between meals. It means I can eat more AT meals, which is more satisfying. It got me used to getting a little hungry in between meals and not worrying about it. I'm not saying there's anything magical about it or that it would suit everybody, but for me, it was a good way to start.

When it comes to calorie counting, I prefer to follow the method mentioned above ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm ) rather than the MFP method. I find it easier.

Best of luck!
    Thanks! This looks useful!

That was posted on the very first page - but instead you decided that we were all making you feel bad. :huh:

Good lord.
  • LNRansom
    LNRansom Posts: 4
    Options
    OMG, it's not fair! I've tried everything except what this site is meant to do, but I come on this site and complain about it anyways!

-_-

i smell an attention *kitten*.

Agreed. Especially as all the advice given to the OP is being knocked back anyways... :S

Anyway, I thought I was eating properly until I started tracking my calories. And then I found out I was eating too little and struggled to increase my calorie intake (like 300-500 cals a day after exercise). Now using the calorie counter I am planning my meals better and as I am increasing my food consumption, I am actually losing more weight (now aiming for 1400 cals a day).

I lost nothing in the 2 weeks before when I was eating less. So this week will be interesting, I haven't weighed myself yet (Sunday is weigh-in day for me). But I measured my waist this morning and I have shed an extra inch. :) I'm not really focusing on losng weight anymore as I have lost what I need to. So will be putting more on as I focus on building muscle (which in turn helps to burn off excess fat).

Try recording your calories, at least for one week only - you may be surprised! So many people eat more or less than they think they do.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Well look at mr.6 pack. I KNOW this is harder for me to lose weight because of Genetics. My mother, grandmother along with many other women in my family are overweight. I was always able to stay at a decent size. Until recently.
    I'm not a troll or stupid. You don't know what this is like because men naturally are able to lose weight faster than women. I'm not lazy either. You haven't seen how hard I've been working. Again, you can stop posting here if you don't like the topic.

Wow. Do you think that those six-packs happen magically? That those guys don't work their butts off to get those bodies? They are fighting for it all the way.

22 year olds supposedly have an easier time losing weight then 40 year olds, so why has my ticker moved so much? Hmmm, diet and exercise, maybe?
  • bradbaumgarten
    Options
    I absolutely love your answer about how you did it. "I never quit."

Like so many people on here, I've battled weight my whole life. It's really about deciding that you're going to put in the work and not give up, because it's a long hard battle. Seriously, I really appreciate hearing stories like yours.

OP, for me, MFP has been a real difference maker. What everybody says about logging is right. You might think you're eating healthy or only consuming so much calories but you're actually consuming more. Logging makes you so much more aware, and for me, so much less likely to make a bad choice because it forces you to be honest with yourself.

Also, all the treadmills, ellipticals, etc. completely overestimate the amount of calories you're burning, so keep that in mind.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    22 year olds supposedly have an easier time losing weight then 40 year olds, so why has my ticker moved so much? Hmmm, diet and exercise, maybe?

I think I love you. :flowerforyou:
  • GwynnAlcorn_wechanged
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in the same boat you are right now. All my life I've been a slim person without trying. Then about 10 years ago my doctor put me on anti-depressants. From 130, I shot up to 180 lbs! I was aghast. I threw away my pills (talk about something making a person depressed!), ate a bit less and a few months later I was back down to 130 lbs. At 125 lbs people told me to eat more, I was looking too gaunt.

Never "exercised in my life" - always did hard physical work and loved it. When I farmed, worked 18 hours a day, carrying 80 lb bales of hay a dozen times a day, etc., etc., at 5'6" I weighed 104 lbs even though I ate like a horse those five years. Took me three years after I quit farming and just did normal work (sat on my tush in my opinion, only painted a church, renovated a dump of a house, held down a full time job and took university courses, as well as played badminton, curled in the winter, etc.), to finally get up to 115 lbs.

I've continued to be a hard worker all my life, but when the work needs doing - not according to some dumb exercise schedule.

At the age of 65, I weighed 140, fell in love with another slim person, and we are so happy together we both gained 40 lbs.
    At a skinny 6' 5", Andy can easily handle 40 lbs. He calls it our "happy fat". I'm delighted to be happy, not so much to be fat! At the end of February, I weighed 177 lbs even though I continue to work hard physically and had started to moderate the amount I ate.

Doctor gave me this website and I have been faithfully following it ever since - not one bit of cheating, after all, it is only for me. My husband loves me at any weight and our life is great, except I am GOING TO lose weight. Decided on 1200 calories a day and always went under the calorie count and over my exercise goal. Lost 5 lousy pounds to date.

I'm convinced my metabolism is out of whack (I also moved from cold dry Western Canada to hot humid Florida 2 years ago when Andy and I got married). I always felt TERRIFIC on the birth control pill, and wondered if I needed hormones, including adrenal hormones as it took a year for Homeland Security to put us through the ringer and charge us $10,000 to approve us getting married - our nerves were really ratched. Stress has a big effect on everything, including weight. Been through any stress recently? She asks, wanting you to overlook the stress of the stupid weight plateau.

After 1200 calories a day (sometimes down to 800) for a full month, I weighed 171.8 lbs on 28 March. Today, 9 days later, I am finally back down to 171.8 lbs. Aaarrrgh, I could scream. So I know how you feel.

Saw a gynecologist this week, who recommended "From Hormone Hell to Hormone Well" and sent me for 6 blood samples for my thyroid (like he should have) and 8 samples of my hormones (including adrenals). Finally a doctor who is at least doing the right tests. Seems very hard to come by here in the USA. I will get copies of the results and study them and figure it out for myself what my problem is, in case I don't agree with him. He and I already don't agree about exercise. He says "work is not exercise." I wonder when was the last time he contributed something useful to the world during his "exercise routine"? He also figures I should eat a minimum of 200 carbohydrates a day. Nuts. It is carbohydrates that put the weight on me.

Anyway, I've given you a few ideas to look into. Hope this has been encouragement for you.

I was totally frustrated this morning when I realized it had taken me 9 days to get back down to 171.8, although 1 1/2 inches came off my waist measurement. But I feel better after writing you. Let's keep in touch.

My husband is supportive and no longer tries every day to talk me into eating scrumpdillyishous things (we are both great cooks and love to do everything, including eat, together), but he also is still eating absolutely anything he wants, including more than half a dozen beer each night, and his scale stays firm at 205. Oh well, if this is the only thing in my life that is unfair, I will handle it with good grace.

Anyway, a couple of things to think about for you.

Best wishes,

Gwynn Alcorn
    Niceville, Florida
  • Jene41
    Jene41 Posts: 11
    Options
    Vary the exercises that you do. Try swimming if you have access to an indoor pool. Look at Zumba Videos on YouTube if there are no classes nearby. I have two left feet but it's fun! You actually enjoy the exercising. Make use of the Food Diary online. I work at McDonald's and am amazed at the calories that I was putting on until I started keeping my journal on here. Don't beat yourself up. You can do this!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Decided on 1200 calories a day and always went under the calorie count and over my exercise goal. Lost 5 lousy pounds to date.

After 1200 calories a day (sometimes down to 800) for a full month, I weighed 171.8 lbs on 28 March. Today, 9 days later, I am finally back down to 171.8 lbs. Aaarrrgh, I could scream. So I know how you feel.

A few things.

1) 5lbs in a month is great - you are right on target.

2)You are actually probably eating too little if you are very active - 800 when working on a farm is gonna screw your body up.

3) carbs didn't get you overweight - eating too many calories did. If you are working hard on the farm (and screw the DR that is exercise) then you need the carbs for energy.
    Have a read of this and change your calorie goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Good luck
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Decided on 1200 calories a day and always went under the calorie count and over my exercise goal. Lost 5 lousy pounds to date.

A few things.

1) 5lbs in a month is great - you are right on target.

2)You are actually probably eating too little if you are very active - 800 when working on a farm is gonna screw your body up.

3) carbs didn't get you overweight - eating too many calories did. If you are working hard on the farm (and screw the DR that is exercise) then you need the carbs for energy.
    Have a read of this and change your calorie goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Good luck

^this
  • Shortee2485
    Options
    Agreed...I like what you said..Yes it is tedious and it is a pain in the butt..but it is well worth it. It is way easier to gain weight than it is to loose it..This website shows my progress and it shows that everything that I am doing is paying off.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    None of this is helping guys.....
    It just doesn't seem fair. I have an active lifestyle even aside from exercise. Bot my jobs consist of me walking and standing constantly. I've done the calorie count thing too and it didn't work.

If you have tried everything and logged calories and it didn't work, then I recommend you talk to your doctor. You may have other issues which keep you from processing food properly, a very slow metabolism or food allergies that makes you bloat and retain water rather than loosing. If that is so, you may need to go very low in order to lose weight, and you shouldn't do that without professional assistance.

If you have tried it all, then I have to break it to you, there is no secret to it. Everybody here are counting calories, logging food types, watching micronutrients and counting their minutes of exercize, nobody have a secret solution we are not sharing. I am really sorry about that, I wish there was one.

Good luck!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you are not logging in your food honestly how can we help you out?? fill it out proper for a few days and ask again for advice.:flowerforyou:
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Its kind of like noone read my post. I HAVE tried counting calories a while back. That did not work.
    I was always left hungry. And even when I was able to follow through, the results weren't significant.
    And its not just as easy as typing something in and logging it. I don't always know how many calories the food at my University has so I tried to log in something but it was most likely incorrect.

You could try asking the cooks for that info, at the very least, they can give you the labels from the containers and you can research it yourself.