I've tried it all, but I cannot lose any weight!

Options

Replies

• tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound rude, really I don't, but you have been given all the proper information you need to get you started on your weight loss journey from the other members here. It just sounds to me like you are not really ready try. That is ok to admit. I've been there, wanting to lose weight but not really wanting to put the effort in it to do it correctly. I would limit my food to almost nothing to avoid exercise. WRONG. I've been on diets where I ate nothing but grapes. WRONG. I've tried pills. WRONG. I ate what I thought was healthy without measuring. WRONG. The first time I measured what a real serving of cereal looks like I was in shock!! You have got to do the work. ALL of it. Find you TDEE. Go to Fat2FitRadio.com and punch in your numbers. It will walk you through everything and tell you what your calorie intake should be based on your activity level. Remember that number. Then eat below it. You HAVE to log your food intake. There really is no way around that. Losing weight takes a lot of work, some pain, and an extraordinary patience. PATIENCE. To lose weight safely and correctly this is what it takes. If you're not ready, you're not ready and that's ok. But really, this is what it takes.
    Thanks. I've been looking for something like this....its telling me that my body fat is within a healthy range though...

My body fat is in the healthy range too, but I still need to lose 10 lbs. That bf% just tells me I'm not likely to keel over from a heart attack any time soon but it doesn't always mean you are at your correct weight. The most important number to use for weight loss is your TDEE. That number is the total daily calories you use to function at your activity level. If you eat anywhere below that number you WILL lose weight. From what I understand most people eat 20% below that number to lose weight. This might make you lose a bit slower than you want but it is the most sustainable way to diet. I hate waiting for anything. I like instant gratification but in weight loss that's a no go. I am losing. Slowly, but losing. Stick with it. You WILL lose! This is a marathon and not a race! Good luck!!:smile:
  • marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    try to cut certain things out like diet drinks, drink more water add whole grains foods to your meals. if you do not cook at home try to cook your meals so you know exactly what you are putting into your body. plus really try to see where the glitch with your lifestyle is and be honest with yourself. Also really give it your all and the weight will come off but you really have to give it sometime
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when everyone around you is able to lose weight and for whatever reason, it isn't happening for you. I grew up overweight and during my senior year in high school, I revamped my eating and activity levels and lost weight. Has it been easy since then? Nope. I've gained and lost since then. But I've never went back to being as heavy as I was in high school. And by the grace of God, I won't!

There are some things you might want to take a look at.
    *What am I eating? Calories are calories but you need to get the most nutritional value from your food. Make it count. You might have to eat a cleaner diet, with little or no processed food. Skip the crackers, cookies, etc.-there's little nutritional value there. Eat an apple with peanut butter or a small handful of nuts instead.

*Switch up your workouts. Would you get bored watching the same movie over and over? Of course you would! Your body might be bored with doing the same workouts too and is probably more efficient at burning calories now. Change it up. Do intervals. Add some weight training. You'll burn more calories at rest if you add more muscle and your bones will thank you later too!

*Treat your weight loss as a job. That means showing up for it every day and taking it seriously. Be accountable for what you eat by logging your food-each and every bit. I guarantee you are eating more than you think it you aren't. It's so easy to miss 100 calories of bites, licks, and tastes of food. Those count too!

*Drink water-it really does make a difference. And it will help balance out the sodium in the food you eat.

*Limit your sodium intake. There is way too much sodium in our food and it's in sneaky-you'll find it in bread, soup, etc. Cut your sodium to 1500-200 and see if it helps your weight loss.

*If you still can't lose weight, see your doctor. It could be as simple as a thyroid issue. But, be serious about what you eat and logging your food first. That way, you can print off your food journals to show your doctor there is an issue.

*Don't give up-you'll get there, I promise. Have a positive attitude. And be ready to wear a smaller size this summer!:flowerforyou:

THIS ! Great advise!
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Either you're a troll, have some serious attention issues, or you're just stupid. I'm sick of lazy people saying they have tried it all when they probably spent 2 weeks on a diet or workout regime. If you're from the States this is what is wrong with our country. Everyone is looking for a quick fix. Do some back research if you are not willing to accept the advice people are giving you here. If you have truly tried everything like you have said then something would have clicked by now. You're lazy and you probably won't succeed if you keep your current attitude up. No one is going to give you the body you want, only you can do that!

Don't take my post the wrong way but you're the type of person that needs tough love and to hear the truth in order to be motivated. Take your pity party some where else, no one is interested in your sob story.

PM me sometime if you wanna talk but take your crying elsewhere.
    Well look at mr.6 pack. I KNOW this is harder for me to lose weight because of Genetics. My mother, grandmother along with many other women in my family are overweight. I was always able to stay at a decent size. Until recently.
    I'm not a troll or stupid. You don't know what this is like because men naturally are able to lose weight faster than women. I'm not lazy either. You haven't seen how hard I've been working. Again, you can stop posting here if you don't like the topic.

I have the fat gene too
    11390926_2269.jpg
    11390926_7103.jpg

When I started to refocus the fat gene went away
    11390926_9981.jpg

What an AMAZING transformation!!! Thx for sharing and being an inspiration :)

Thanks

Woo-hoo! Now that's inspiring. I read on your page: When people ask me how I did it, I say, 'I didn't quit'. Love it :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Either you're a troll, have some serious attention issues, or you're just stupid. I'm sick of lazy people saying they have tried it all when they probably spent 2 weeks on a diet or workout regime. If you're from the States this is what is wrong with our country. Everyone is looking for a quick fix. Do some back research if you are not willing to accept the advice people are giving you here. If you have truly tried everything like you have said then something would have clicked by now. You're lazy and you probably won't succeed if you keep your current attitude up. No one is going to give you the body you want, only you can do that!

Don't take my post the wrong way but you're the type of person that needs tough love and to hear the truth in order to be motivated. Take your pity party some where else, no one is interested in your sob story.

Well look at mr.6 pack. I KNOW this is harder for me to lose weight because of Genetics. My mother, grandmother along with many other women in my family are overweight. I was always able to stay at a decent size. Until recently.
    I'm not a troll or stupid. You don't know what this is like because men naturally are able to lose weight faster than women. I'm not lazy either. You haven't seen how hard I've been working. Again, you can stop posting here if you don't like the topic.

With all due respect, you are a 22 year old female. I am a 45 year old woman who has had medical issues in the past - that is no reason why it will not work - you just have to work harder...simple as that. Oh, and I doubt "Mr 6 pack" actually got his 6 pack without hard work and dedication. It is not all about genetics - you have to put in the work, no matter how genetically 'lucky' you are. Also, you have no idea about his genetics so it is a bit of a leap to come to make any assumption like that in any event.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I get your frustrartion and I sympathize. I felt the same way about calorie counting and eating enough ( I was in starvation mode apperently). MY husband baggered me for months to keep track. (You too may in fact may not be eating enough as opposed to too much. Healthy is great but it has to be the right amount for YOU.) So after MUCH resistance I caved and started tracking ACCURATELY. In 3 weeks I have lost over 4lbs. Yes I added a bit more cardio, but mostly tracking faithfully. And the support and encouragement are wonderful. So we are all suggesting you try it all again...if at first you dont succeed....If you want this enough the tedium will be worth one more shot. If you still see no results,(give it a fair shake and commit to at least 6 weeks) consult your physician. There may in fact be an underlying health issue. Please add me as a friend, I will do all i can to help you reach your goal of better health. Best of luck
  • melina_bea
    Options
    I sort of understand your frustration. I too was the whining type. In my case, I had more concrete excuses (a myriad of health problems from hormonal to neurological, causing me to not lose weight at a normal rate, and being in too much pain to move most of the time). I would ask people for advice, I would try specific diets (none of which worked), I would complain a lot and generally feel sorry for myself.

Eventually, I had to wake up and realise that I knew exactly what I had to do: I had to keep at it, and accept that my progress would be slower than other people's, while I have to work harder. No, it's not fair. So? That's life.

You know what's really unfair? People around the world who could only dream of attending university, or having access to the Internet to post on forums, or have a phone with an app which makes logging calories a doddle. I think a few minutes of weighing and tracking, a few hs of reading, comparing data, asking for advice and taking it on board... are all very small prices to pay for the change you want.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    I get your frustrartion and I sympathize. I felt the same way about calorie counting and eating enough ( I was in starvation mode apperently). MY husband baggered me for months to keep track. (You too may in fact may not be eating enough as opposed to too much. Healthy is great but it has to be the right amount for YOU.) So after MUCH resistance I caved and started tracking ACCURATELY. In 3 weeks I have lost over 4lbs. Yes I added a bit more cardio, but mostly tracking faithfully. And the support and encouragement are wonderful. So we are all suggesting you try it all again...if at first you dont succeed....If you want this enough the tedium will be worth one more shot. If you still see no results,(give it a fair shake and commit to at least 6 weeks) consult your physician. There may in fact be an underlying health issue. Please add me as a friend, I will do all i can to help you reach your goal of better health. Best of luck
    Thanks. I'll add you.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting sucks, but there is really no way around it. If you don't have a specific medical problem, then the whole weight loss thing comes down to burning off the excess and you can't do that unless you count the calories. Also, as some have said, it's not only about not overeating but it's about not undereating also. You have to find the right balance and you have to have PATIENCE... and COUNT THE CALORIES!!!! Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log here. And I've tried counting calories in the past. Its ridiculous, tedious, unrealistic and didn't work anyway.

MFP makes it easier than doing it by hand. There may be some other thing going on. When I started paying attention to sodium/potassium, it has made a difference. Before that, I would lose about 1 pound a month (my macros were set for 1 pound a week). It was barely detectable--I would only weigh every two months (officially) because it was too discouraging to report a one-pound a month loss. When I started tracking my sodium and potassium, I started losing at the 1-pound a week level. The other thing that you might want to think about is having your thyroid levels tested (including T-3, the active form of the hormone). Often, when someone is calorie-restricted and not eating very well (calories are important but for women, minerals and micro-nutrients are important too). Because of the smaller amount of total permitted calories, one must make a strong effort to eat as well as one can. If you are putting out 4,000-5,000 calories a day in exercise, you can afford to make some nutrient-poor choices, but when you are only eating 1,400 calories as a base, you must make a concerted effort to "cover all the [nutritional] bases". :smile:
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    I don't mean to sound rude, really I don't, but you have been given all the proper information you need to get you started on your weight loss journey from the other members here. It just sounds to me like you are not really ready try. That is ok to admit. I've been there, wanting to lose weight but not really wanting to put the effort in it to do it correctly. I would limit my food to almost nothing to avoid exercise. WRONG. I've been on diets where I ate nothing but grapes. WRONG. I've tried pills. WRONG. I ate what I thought was healthy without measuring. WRONG. The first time I measured what a real serving of cereal looks like I was in shock!! You have got to do the work. ALL of it. Find you TDEE. Go to Fat2FitRadio.com and punch in your numbers. It will walk you through everything and tell you what your calorie intake should be based on your activity level. Remember that number. Then eat below it. You HAVE to log your food intake. There really is no way around that. Losing weight takes a lot of work, some pain, and an extraordinary patience. PATIENCE. To lose weight safely and correctly this is what it takes. If you're not ready, you're not ready and that's ok. But really, this is what it takes.
    Thanks. I've been looking for something like this....its telling me that my body fat is within a healthy range though...

OH that link, that link is within the links i already posted to you that you keep on ignoring... I told you the answers you're looking for are in there.
    Sorry.... I wasn't ignoring you. But I wasn't sure how to calculate it on my own.
    That's what the link is for, it shows you how to calculate it.
    I still think you should read the link, and apply it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

If you STILL can't calculate things, I'll do it for you. just message me, I am willing to help you, but you have to listen. If you say something doesn't work or question it, that's fine, i will explain it to you, so you understand, you have to at least give it a chance and not be so quick to judge. It's not possible for calorie counting not work. You're doing something wrong, maybe it's not eve you that is making the mistake, it might be MFP or a calculator you're using. That doesn't mean calorie counting doesn't work. It just means you're using the wrong numbers.
    Thank you again. I'm going to try to calculate it all and if I have a problem, I'll message you.
  • melina_bea
    Options
    I would suggest you track your intake for a week at least to figure out how much you're currently eating. My first thought was that, with your activity level, you might be in starvation mode. As others have said, it's very hard to give advice without any hard data to analyse.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

With all due respect, you are a 22 year old female. I am a 45 year old woman who has had medical issues in the past - that is no reason why it will not work - you just have to work harder...simple as that. Oh, and I doubt "Mr 6 pack" actually got his 6 pack without hard work and dedication. It is not all about genetics - you have to put in the work, no matter how genetically 'lucky' you are. Also, you have no idea about his genetics so it is a bit of a leap to come to make any assumption like that in any event.

^ This. People here with their 6 packs have earned them. To belittle their body and hard work is pretty messed up OP. It comes down to- if you are willing to work for it, you'll succeed. But if you just want to make excuses and look for reasons to not work for what you want....you won't go very far.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I sort of understand your frustration. I too was the whining type. In my case, I had more concrete excuses (a myriad of health problems from hormonal to neurological, causing me to not lose weight at a normal rate, and being in too much pain to move most of the time). I would ask people for advice, I would try specific diets (none of which worked), I would complain a lot and generally feel sorry for myself.

Eventually, I had to wake up and realise that I knew exactly what I had to do: I had to keep at it, and accept that my progress would be slower than other people's, while I have to work harder. No, it's not fair. So? That's life.

You know what's really unfair? People around the world who could only dream of attending university, or having access to the Internet to post on forums, or have a phone with an app which makes logging calories a doddle.
    I think a few minutes of weighing and tracking, a few hs of reading, comparing data, asking for advice and taking it on board... are all very small prices to pay for the change you want.

Quoted because it' so packed full of truthiness and realness...my head might explode. Love your attitude!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    OMG, it's not fair! I've tried everything except what this site is meant to do, but I come on this site and complain about it anyways!

-_-

i smell an attention *kitten*.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump Thanks for all the great information!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options

You know what's really unfair? People around the world who could only dream of attending university, or having access to the Internet to post on forums, or have a phone with an app which makes logging calories a doddle.
    I think a few minutes of weighing and tracking, a few hs of reading, comparing data, asking for advice and taking it on board... are all very small prices to pay for the change you want.

Quoted because it' so packed full of truthiness and realness...my head might explode. Love your attitude!

AGREED!!! I have MS and it makes dieting and exercise that much harder for me, but it CAN be done!!! I've lost about 30 lbs and have about 10 more to go. You can do this! Love yourself and give yourself the time to do it healthfully!!
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The issue is - putting on weight is mostly enjoyable and involves lots of sitting around eating nice things. Losing weight is mostly not enjoyable and involves lots of hard work and trying out lots of things to see what works. All any of us can do is man up and get on with it unfortunately.

^ I need to tape this to my wall.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    OP, I know what you mean about not wanting to calorie count! I've tried different variations on my diet in the past (not necessarily to lose weight) and usually they made NO difference to my weight. You can eat healthily, but it seems as if you'll tend to eat enough to maintain your weight. In fact, I got fat eating fairly healthily and moderately.

What started me losing weight this time round was the No S diet (if you google it you'll see the simple rules). It was a great start for me, because like you, I didn't want to calorie count or do something that felt too much like a diet, and this was fairly easy - just having three meals a day. I lost weight, but eventually changed to calorie counting. However, I've stuck with the basics of No S, more or less. I try not to eat between meals. It means I can eat more AT meals, which is more satisfying. It got me used to getting a little hungry in between meals and not worrying about it. I'm not saying there's anything magical about it or that it would suit everybody, but for me, it was a good way to start.

When it comes to calorie counting, I prefer to follow the method mentioned above ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm ) rather than the MFP method. I find it easier.

Best of luck!
  • lassapoo246
    Options
    The #1 reason most people cannot lose weight is not from over eating and not from lack of exercise. It is Poor Food Choices! Take a closer look at the foods u are eating and access their calorie content. Chart every morsel that goes into your mouth to get a better idea of where the problem lies.

1.Start fresh by cutting out ALL sugar from your diet. If u must, try using Splenda, a natural sweetener for your coffee but that's it. No desserts, sweet snacks or treats, and watch out for the hidden sugars in your cereals and granola bars.

2. Next, cut out all starchy, white carbs like rice, pasta, breads and potatoes. These are not the most nutritious and extremely high in calories. Increase veggie intake to feel full.

3. Try to cook natural foods instead of quick and easy processed foods which again are low in nutrition and high in salt and calories. Cook your own meats (usually broiled unskinned chicken or fish) and prepare fresh vegetables in salad form ie, garden. quinoa, chick pea, and bean salads. This will take more time, but I prepare large amounts at one time so I always have healthy, home cooked choices already made, especially when I'm tired I don' t feel like cooking.

4. Calories in must be LESS than calories used each day if u want to lose weight. Try to stay around the 1,200 cals/ day mark and increase exercise amounts to 30 mins. minimum at least 4 times per week until u reach your target. Weigh yourself only once per day each morning.

5. Lastly, faithfully drink your water in between meals to fill u up so you feel fuller eating your smaller meal potions. Water can come in other forms such as green tea or clear soup broths? Keep actively busy so your mind is not on food. No plopping infront of the TV after dinner each night which is usually accompanied by unhealthy snacking.

If you are diligent in following this regime without deviation, you most likely will lose weight.

Good luck, D.B :)