I've tried it all, but I cannot lose any weight!

Options

Replies

• lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump for links
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Its kind of like noone read my post. I HAVE tried counting calories a while back. That did not work.
    I was always left hungry. And even when I was able to follow through, the results weren't significant.
    And its not just as easy as typing something in and logging it. I don't always know how many calories the food at my University has so I tried to log in something but it was most likely incorrect.

You could try asking the cooks for that info, at the very least, they can give you the labels from the containers and you can research it yourself.

Most university food services have dieticians who oversee the nutrient content of the food (even if it is contracted out, likely some dietician-type person will oversee the contract and the nutrient value of the foods). She/he will have that information readily at hand and if you email him/her, they will be probably be glad to supply you with that info.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your uni, but mine offers a nutritional calculator online at the Dining Services website. It's not the most easy to navigate as it collectively lists all dining locations on campus -- but it works, at least to give me a more definitive estimate at what that piece of pizza on campus will actually have in it.

Also, do you HAVE to eat on campus? I know students at my uni can use their dining plan card at various restaurants, even some grocery stores, around campus.
  • mg17601
    mg17601 Posts: 18
    Options
    These are some things you can try that may help without having to count calories:

Eat small meals or a small snack every 2-3 hours so you are never at the starving point. You can actually eat a healthy snack up to 1 hour before going to bed.
    Eat a breakfast meal or snack within 30 to 60 minutes of waking up
    Make sure each meal or snack you eat has some protein and includes a slow carb food to prevent blood sugar spikes
    Make sure your portion sizes are correct, for meats a portion is the size of your palm up to the first knuckle, for fast carbs a portion is about the size of your fist, for cheeses a portion is the size of your thumb, for slow carbs a portion is the size of two fists.
    Avoid adding salt to foods and make sure no meal has over 700mg of salt
    Restaurant foods are extremely high in salt, check out nutrition info for restaurants before you go.
    Drink at least 8 cups of water up to 12 cups each day
    Avoid all white flour foods, eat only 100% whole grain breads and cereals
    Avoid fatty proteins, choose lowfat dairy products and lean meats but watch out for high sugar and salt added to low fat foods
    Avoid packaged foods that contain a sugar or artificial sugar in the first 3 ingredients
    Getting 7-8 hours of sleep every night also speeds up your metabolism
    Focus on doing more resistance exercise to build more muscle to burn fat faster
    If you exercise too hard and eat too few calories, your metabolism slows down so you don't burn any fat, you end up storing it.
    36 min of cardio or 24 min of resistance training alternated each day with stretching is sufficient.

Hope something here helps you out. :smile:
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    None of this is helping guys.....
    It just doesn't seem fair. I have an active lifestyle even aside from exercise. Bot my jobs consist of me walking and standing constantly. I've done the calorie count thing too and it didn't work.

Here you go

tumblr_lydeicRBQn1ro52b9o1_400.jpg

You've had great advice - take it and stop complaining.
    You don't have to post here if you don't like the topic. All I'm getting is "You have to count every calorie" I've done that it DOESN"T WORK.

Okay, listen. You could be eating all this healthy stuff, but you could be going over how many calories you should be eating to lose weight. JUST COUNT THE DAMN CALORIES. IT WORKS FOR 99.9% OF THE WORLDS POPULATION. It's science.

EDIT: Or, you know. Just do nothing, do NOTHING YOU DON'T LIKE DOING, and remain at your current weight forever. What do you have to lose? Seriously. Suck it up.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log here. And I've tried counting calories in the past. Its ridiculous, tedious, unrealistic and didn't work anyway.

BUT-you forgot to mention that it works.

The basic principal is Move more, eat less==losing weight. Of course that is very over simplified, but if you don't know the numbers for either, then chances are you will stay stuck right where you are at. Being fat IMHO is significantly more ridiculous, tedious and unrealistic. So is complaining about being overweight and arguing with folks who are trying to give you good information to help you and all the more so when you ask what's wrong and then refuse to at least consider that some or all of the answers and advice which may have sound foundations.

I will happily stay ridiculous, tedious and unrealistic as I lose the other 20-30 lbs. My 81 lb loss would tend to suggest to me that I am not, in fact, ridiculous at all. Counting calories accurately has been a tedious chore which has helped me achieve progress towards my goals, thank you very much!

The simplest question for you is this: "Is your way working?"
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    After being stuck at the same weight for nearly a year I gave in, joined a gym and it has COMPLETELY kickstarted a new me. I'm not saying you have to go out and do that, because I know it's expensive. (I lucked out and was able to join a friends family plan) But switch something up. Obviously what you're doing isn't working, so up the intensity, log you food, hold yourself accountable, and PUSH yourself. Those are the only things that will get results. I wish you luck! I know how frustrating it can be.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simple. It is calories in versus calories out. PERIOD THE END (medical anomalies excepting). So, either you start logging every thing you put in your mouth, find out how much you burn each day via a TDEE calculator ( I like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and you eat less than that, OR, you stay at 150 and keep whining about how no one gets it. It's not rocket science, and if calorie counting "didn't work" I think it can be chalked up more to user error.
    "Until you want to be successful as much as you want to breathe, you aren't ever going to be successful." Time to put up or shut up.
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is someone who is destined to fail with that attitude and a lack of understanding of how losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not a 10-minute-magic solution. I think the first thing that needs to happen here is an attitude change, before that the OP will fail at any attempt because results will never come fast enough and achieving them will always require work - i.e. logging calories
  • Mrs_Wellington
    Options
    log honestly just for a fortnight.do it if for no other reason than to prove us all wrong.best of luck :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log here. And I've tried counting calories in the past. Its ridiculous, tedious, unrealistic and didn't work anyway.

I agree with how tedious the logging is, and i still hate exercise but for some reason this is working for me. I still have a way to go before I am at the weight i want to be and look the way i want, but its still working. You will see in a lot of threads people will talk about patience. This is one of the things I am learning to have.

I actually would never have got this far without this site. Logging every item is an eye opener and helps me make slightly better choices. I havent cut out any types of foods, am still working hard on my choices but will hopefully get there

Be really honest with your foods and exercise and it will work. Go to the many success stories for results with pictures.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I actually took the time to go back to the time when you "tried" logging your food--way back in Sep 2011 for about 2 weeks. What I saw was lots and lots of "extra added calories" inputs; cheeseburgers; pizza; protein bars; a couple of lean cuisine meals and lots of blank space--then nothing. You're obviously not ready to do the work required and will be wasting your time and cranking out cortisol which will only add to your fat storage.

I suggest you just chill out until you are really serious about changing your lifestyle and ready to work the MFP system--which means logging, everything, every meal, every day---otherwise, go with Nutrisystem or Medifast where they TELL you what to eat...but be prepared to pack back on those pounds again once you tire of paying them for that service.
  • dangerxbadger
    Options
    You could always try raspberry ketones.. Or green coffee beans. You know, if you're into the miracle fix, no real work required, snake oil sort of thing.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    log honestly just for a fortnight.do it if for no other reason than to prove us all wrong.best of luck :)

agreed - nice challenge for you
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    dont-be-upset-300x300.jpg
  • dangerxbadger
    Options
    dont-be-upset-300x300.jpg

This

Also, I love your profile pic. :DDDDD
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Stop using the word "diet". It implies short term. What we're doing is LIFE LONG, so we have to find what we can incorporate into our lives for the rest of our life. Every single piece of literature I've ever read says count calories for the best results. At the end it's a numbers game and we can't win unless we know the numbers. The most recent book I read really all we have to do is log about 2 weeks because we are creatures of habit and eat the same foods (I know I do, I can tell you every calorie in my breakfast and most my lunches). Once we do that we have an idea of what we're consuming.

The other piece of the puzzle is not eating out so much (if that's something you do). Cook as much at home as possible, no matter what. It can be done in a busy schedule, I've taken one day on the weekend and cooked for the week.

Good luck
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    join the club. What is going on??
  • Radioactivclown
    Radioactivclown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know that I've felt the same way that you do. I feel that as much of a pain keeping an honest food log that it actually helps you more than you think. Right now I got stuck at my weight too and I picked up a book on the Shred diet that seems to be helping me a lot. I know there's a lot of people that are going to be much more critical to you but I see where you're coming from. Hope this help.
    I've completely cut out certain foods from my diet. I've been eating more fish and veggies than ever before in my life. I run at least 2 times a week. I do resistance whenever I get the chance, at least 3 times a week. I'm not eating too little and I'm not eating too much. I even stop eating 3 hours before bed! I hardly eat any cakes or pies or ice cream anymore.
    I'm about 5'5 and 150lbs. Its been this way for MONTHS. It's driving me insane. One day the scale read 149.5 and then when I woke the next day, it said 150.5
    I'm not gaining muscle, because my clothes would fit a little differently. But they don't!
    I really need help because at this point I want to trim the fat off myself with a knife.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Stop using the word "diet". It implies short term. What we're doing is LIFE LONG, so we have to find what we can incorporate into our lives for the rest of our life. Every single piece of literature I've ever read says count calories for the best results. At the end it's a numbers game and we can't win unless we know the numbers. The most recent book I read really all we have to do is log about 2 weeks because we are creatures of habit and eat the same foods (I know I do, I can tell you every calorie in my breakfast and most my lunches). Once we do that we have an idea of what we're consuming.

The other piece of the puzzle is not eating out so much (if that's something you do). Cook as much at home as possible, no matter what. It can be done in a busy schedule, I've taken one day on the weekend and cooked for the week.

Good luck

di·et1 [dahy-it] Show IPA noun, verb, di·et·ed, di·et·ing, adjective
    noun
    food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
    a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
    such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
    the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
    food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

Sugar coat it all you want it is diet related. In order to lose weight you must monitor your diet. Some call it lifestyle change some call it getting healthy...wtf does it matter at the end of the day it all goes right back to your diet lol let ppl call it whatever they want.