Body image self-assessment quiz

Options

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Surprise, I got a 38. I guess the quiz would rather have fat people be in denial about their size and just never think negatively at all about how they look or how others perceive them, even if negative thoughts are right. Sounds healthy.

:huh:

Um, feeling worthy and loveable is only for thin people? SMH.

There wasn't anything in this quiz about health issues and weight -- it's just based on how you view yourself. I scored a 6 on this quiz -- I am far from perfect and have all kinds of goals for myself -- but um, I deserve to feel good about myself no matter what. Nobody "deserves" to feel shame and embarrassment.

Actually, the reason I got a 38 and not a 68 is because I do feel fine about myself, to myself. I don't hate what I see in the mirror. But I also acknowledge the fact that we're a visual society and a heavy premium is placed on body size; particularly women's bodies. Everything from mate selection to career success to simple politeness from strangers are hinged on our circumference. Any discomfort I feel in social situations is based on actual experience and feedback I've received based on my current size.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    <
    Slightly pudgy girl in a bikini on a fitness site got a 6.

Very sexy slightly pudgy girl in a bikini! :wink:
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I scored 54. Not surprised.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Surprise, I got a 38. I guess the quiz would rather have fat people be in denial about their size and just never think negatively at all about how they look or how others perceive them, even if negative thoughts are right. Sounds healthy.

There wasn't anything in this quiz about health issues and weight -- it's just based on how you view yourself. I scored a 6 on this quiz -- I am far from perfect and have all kinds of goals for myself -- but um, I deserve to feel good about myself no matter what. Nobody "deserves" to feel shame and embarrassment.

Actually, the reason I got a 38 and not a 68 is because I do feel fine about myself, to myself. I don't hate what I see in the mirror. But I also acknowledge the fact that we're a visual society and a heavy premium is placed on body size; particularly women's bodies. Everything from mate selection to career success to simple politeness from strangers are hinged on our circumference. Any discomfort I feel in social situations is based on actual experience and feedback I've received based on my current size.

Sure there are crappy people in the world that judge other people negatively based on their size.But who, in that equation, is the issue - the person judging or the person being judged? I firmly believe it is the former. What I am speaking to specifically is " I guess the quiz would rather have fat people be in denial about their size and just never think negatively at all about how they look". In 2004 I weighed 190 pounds - I am 5'25. I currently weigh 155. I've gotten all the way down to 137 before -- at all times I thought positively of myself and negatively of those who judge me based on my weight. I chose to lose weight because my joints started to hurt and my physical fitness was affected. Like that is just the end of the story. If somebody doesn't want to date me, hire me or make fun of me for how I look, that would make them a jerk in my eyes -- it wouldn't make me think "hmmm, I need to change so I can be accepted."
  • teacherduckie
    Options
    39--
    I guess it's better then I was expecting after reading some of the other comments. I look at myself in the mirror and see something that I don't like. I hate pictures of myself...

I have tried to stop looking at myself after getting dressed for the day and saying "well that's as good as it gets" I think that comment is damaging to myself... but after a 2 hour work out, and getting ready to get to homework... I look at myself and think it.. but I don't say it... so I guess I haven't changed much... wow.. I'm having a kind of down day...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    <
    Slightly pudgy girl in a bikini on a fitness site got a 6.

Very sexy slightly pudgy girl in a bikini! :wink:

:blushing:
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    WOW didn't expect this :noway:

You have scored 41 points.

SCORE 40+

You are suffering from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) which is translated as body
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If somebody doesn't want to date me, hire me or make fun of me for how I look, that would make them a jerk in my eyes -- it wouldn't make me think "hmmm, I need to change so I can be accepted.

Interesting. To walk through life believing that, no matter what, one's own appearance is fine and society at large has a problem for not agreeing...seems like a form of denial to me. But it sounds like a cozy place to live and I kind of envy you for getting there. I just don't think I could ever accomplish the mental gymnastics that it would take for me to say, and truly believe, "The 95% of the population who don't want to date me, hire me or even hold the damn door for me are just jerks! They're the ones with the problem, not me for being fat! I don't need to change a thing!". That's just refusing to take responsibility for one's own life to me.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Exactly. You can recognize that you need/want to lose weight/gain muscle/whatever your goal is without being negative and hurtful to yourself. From my experience, any changes you make will be more lasting when you come from a place of self-love rather than being motivated by self-hate.

in my case i went from self-hate to self-acceptance (by and large), and the weight loss was part of the process. i got to my goal, and found that some things i still didn't like would only come close to my ideal if i changed my lifestyle in ways i wasn't prepared to change. other things would have required surgery (boobs!).

so my choices were,
    1) relax, enjoy what I worked for & accept my limitations
    2) spend tons of $ for an uncertain outcome, and live in a way that doesn't fit my OTHER goals and priorities
    3) fail to accept my limitations, not spend the $/time, and live in a perpetual state of anxiety and self-consciousness.

I was at 3) for a while, but eventually got to 1), which feels so much better.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I scored 28. Lacks self confidence. But I'm a hundred times better than I was!
  • firstloveyourself
    firstloveyourself Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I scored 70. Wow.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    According to this, I have body dismorphic disorder! What?! I actually quite like my body most of the time (probably 80% +). Hmmm...
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I got a 10.

"Congratulations! You have a good body image and an excellent self-esteem. As a result of this, you are at peace with yourself.

The way you feel about your body has little impact on how you go about your daily life. This is how it should be. Perhaps you are aware of the pressures on people to be a certain shape or size. You see it all around you. Pressures to go on diets, or pressures to go to the gym and achieve a toned-up body. Pressures to look younger than you really are.

You probably feel, correctly, that other things are important in determining how you are to feel about yourself. Be aware however, that people around you may not share similar feelings of self-acceptance. If anything, you will need to guard against being insensitive about how other people feel about the way they think they look, because a healthy body concept has very little to do with the reality of personal appearance, it is more a reflection of how they feel about themselves inside.

In today’s image-conscious society, many people, no matter how successful or attractive they are, have distorted feelings about their size, shape, and appearance which affect their ability to lead a normal life. Take care, therefore, not to tease or make unguarded comments that might hurt the people you care for. And continue to enjoy your life without letting body feelings get in the way"

THAT surprised me actually. But I'm happy to see that result. : )
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    58 :ohwell:
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My score was 11!! Pretty good I think but definitely room for improvement. Thanks for posting this! I'm going to share with my private group!

I got an 11 too.... Hm... I didn't really like the "summary", I feel more confident than that... DX
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I got a 5. Good or bad?
  • cheron40
    cheron40 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OMG- I am laughing so hard that I am crying-
    I have body hatred and apparently I can forget diets, obsessive exercise plans or surgery – BDD is a form of emotional illness and requires urgent attention from a qualified therapist
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So I scored a 6. No bad.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I got a 10. But the description is way off. It says that my body has little impact on my daily life. That I spend my time thinking about other things. WRONG! My body has a HUGE impact on my daily life. I spend an innordinate amount of time thinking about my diet and wroking out. That is precisely why I have a good body image. Because of all that time I spend preoccupied with making my body better, I can look at pictures of myself from 6 months ago and see how much better I look.