C25K Beginnners

Options
1235»

Replies

• kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I too have a Polar F6. Have had it about 15 mos....love it! It has always been about 5-15 cals higher than what my treadmill says. According to a study they did on one of the am show's, the machines aren't that far off...they said more accurate than a hrm. so I don't know, and this was after I had mine. Anyway, I really like it cuz it does a breakdown of your avg and max heart rate....plus much, much more!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kelly! I'm going to research some fairly inexpensive HRMs. Money is a little tight so I really can't afford some of these $100 ones on the market.

Are you still chugging away at c25k? I was starting W2D2 today but I couldn't power through. I went a little intense in spin class yesterday morning and then had floor hockey at night. My muscles were finally a little too sore to do the correct regimen. Looks like I'll be doing W2 longer than a week!
  • kelly_a
    Options
    Hey Robin....Yes, I will be doing W3D2 today. I didn't know how my body would do in the 3 minute jog/run, but it was really not that bad. I think keeping the speed just a little slower on that first day helped. On my off day I do a 30 min walk jog, and depending how I feel it can be more intense. I have started C25K about 3 other times in the past year, and never made it past wk 3...so I am embarking on that stage of the program. I don't think doing a week longer is a problem at all....just go at your pace and feel comfortable with it....you are still doing it. Better to go slow and feel good than too fast and get burn out and quit. Did you find a HRM ?
  • Robin1109
    Options
    That's good advice. I'm not going to rush myself to get it done in exactly 9 weeks or so.

I plan on shopping for an HRM over lunch!
  • Robin1109
    Options
    So I've felt the need to redo week one of the program (more because I didn't feel like I gave it all I had) and now I'm thinking I should redo week two. I did two of the workouts on Monday and Friday in their entirety. I was really having to push myself to run those last two minute and a half intervals. On Wednesday I started out doing it but adjusted my workout after ten minutes because of a pulled quad muscle. I had gone real intense in spinning the day before and had a floor hockey game the night before. During one of those events, I strained the muscle. I just didn't think my body was ready to be pushed to that kind of breaking point.

I was just wondering if anyone else has felt the need to repeat multiple weeks. If so, do you think it has benefited you or harmed you in the program?
  • lrberchielli
    Options
    I repeated week 1 a few times and week 2. I keep getting rained out (I can only handle the heat first thing or last in the am Florida is just too hot). I glad to see others have been repeating weeks as well.
  • Robin1109
    Options
    After thinking I'd repeat week 2, I just went for it with W3D1 today! I was surprised I made it through the first 3 min jog. When the second one came around, I had to slow it to an intense walk around 2 min. I think I went to fast on the first jog and my body wasn't ready for the second. Good to know that I can almost do it!
  • kelly_a
    Options
    hey all.. Did W4D1 today. I did ok in the 5 min jog. I usually go slower on the first day. I turn on the tv and that seems to keep me going pretty well. Once in a while I will focus on some still object tho. This session seemed to go quicker than previous weeks. Keep at it everyone, you're doing great!
  • Robin1109
    Options
    hey all.. Did W4D1 today. I did ok in the 5 min jog. I usually go slower on the first day. I turn on the tv and that seems to keep me going pretty well. Once in a while I will focus on some still object tho. This session seemed to go quicker than previous weeks. Keep at it everyone, you're doing great!

Awesome! Great job! I have to do it with my iPod or I'll go insane. I pick songs I can kind of "bounce" to during the jog sections so it keeps me going. Shakira's world cup song is great for that!