The word "Ladies"

Options

Replies

• Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Nah I'm good with it. Girls... now that annoys me.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Ladies, girls, women, ma'am......none of it bothers me

Me neither. As long as no one calls me a dude, I'm all good.
  • Hello ladies . . .

adult-swim-behind-bush_zps59d39504.gif

OMG... this is soooo creepy...

Anyways, Ladies!!! No offense whatsoever... politically correct all the fetching time is so overrated...
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    IMO there are two appropriate times to say 'ladies'
    1.If you work at a retail store, and a group of women walks in.
    Example: "Hi, ladies! Welcome to chainsaw land, let me know if I can help you trim your bushes"

2. If you're creepy.
    Example: "I am a creature that lurks the depths of the internet, come at me ladies ;D"
  • McknightCanada
    McknightCanada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I work at an electrical contracting company. There is one other female who works here, and about 30 guys. That being said, it's a very comfortable, relaxed place, apart from all the work that is being done lol . My boss (a male) will sometimes come into the office and say 'hey ladies!' instead of just saying hi or hello. It's a comfortable term without being rude or crass and still has conveys respect.
  • SoonerVet
    SoonerVet Posts: 65
    Options
    Here's my take on it.

This is not offensive at all: "Good morning ladies!"

this is a bit condescending: "Ladies, let's try to do this better" (etc. etc.) when coming from a man.

(this may be entirely due to one jerk guy I know who thought the world of himself, and refused to listen to others' opinions. He would address anyone arguing with him as "ladies" and just tell us how stupid/confused we poor dumb women are.

so I blame him if I seem irrational.

now "sweetie" on the other hand, unless it's from a nice grandmother or a person who I know is an absolutely sweet person, I get realllly annoyed with
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Okay, I honestly don't see how this is offensive... I suppose, spoken in the wrong tone of voice, any word could be offensive, but seriously?
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    "ladies" doesn't bother me so much....but i hate being called "ma'am"!!!

I've never minded ma'am.

I get annoyed when someone refers to us as "girls" however.

YOu look way too young to be called ma'am. :)

Well then its a good thing that many men use it as a form of respect for women rather than saying it about their age eh?

Lets make a list.

We cannot call you

-Ma'am
    - Ladies
    - girl
    - woman

Would you just like me to draw a pink taco and point it towards you everytime I include you in the conversation?

Words are offensive and drawing is just too much effort on your part. I'd prefer a bell. Or maybe just snapping - no need for you to lug around extra equipment.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It is not offensive to Me when someone is using it to address a group of Women (FEMALES) or if someone calls Me that and they do not know Me/My name. How else would they address you>>>Hey You, or Good morning women, Hello People. Example: You should address a group of Men (Males), Hello Gentlemen...or the Gentleman/Man in the red hat...

I do not get the conflict...and I have been a professional woman for 30 years (a lawyer) and trust Me, I have been called worse!

ETA: If you call me>>>Gal, girl, Miss Thang, *kitten*, Ho(e)...we gonna fight!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of an all-female volunteer corps in Houston, and we refer to each other that way. Doesn't bother me - what else would we call each other? But maybe it's a southern thing.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I think in that instance, tone is what really matters most.

This.

That being said, I get siht all the time for saying "guys". It's a bad habit. When you have 90% of your staff being female, and you start by saying, "I need you guys to... " I tend to get jumped on a lot for that.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Nope, ladies is good. Ma'am totally fine also. I'm in law enforcement...and I get called sir all the time because that's what comes to mind for people when they see an officer. It's a gut reaction for people (annoying in itself) and corrected quickly, but irritating.

So yeah, ladies is just fine. :wink:

You realize I'm going to call you sir from now on, right? :wink:

Odus YOU can call me sir... :wink:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Sorry ma'am.

Another bad habit.
    cowboy_tipping_hat.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I generally like "Dames".

Or "Wimmins". But not if you are speaking because people might think you are saying "Womens" which is offensive or "Women" which is insulting.

In a business setting, I'd prefer to be referred to as "Femonitron" or the plural "Femonitronia" because it conveys a certain professionalism.

You forgot "broad", and "skirt." I had a bad habit of interrupting people who would say "broadly" in arguments, and would sya to them, "That offends me. Could you say in a female manner?"
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

I've never minded ma'am.

I get annoyed when someone refers to us as "girls" however.

YOu look way too young to be called ma'am. :)

Well then its a good thing that many men use it as a form of respect for women rather than saying it about their age eh?

Lets make a list.

We cannot call you

-Ma'am
    - Ladies
    - girl
    - woman

Would you just like me to draw a pink taco and point it towards you everytime I include you in the conversation?

No balls.

Hi Taunto!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I'd prefer to hear "ladies" which is formal and proper as opposed to "you guys" which, to me, is tacky.

I am not a guy.
    I did not sprout a weenie.

Not even when the moon is full?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, get funky
    All the ladies in the house
    The ladies, the ladies

beastieboys_L120110.jpg

Dammit _timmeh_!! You beat me in with that!

HEY LAAAAAAADIES!! GET FUUUNKY!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I cannot figure out why anyone would find it offensive, although some do. Apparently there is a growing number of women who prefer NOT to referred to in anyway that would insinuate that they are female. Which is confusing to me. If they were referred to as gentlemen would they care?
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters with the tone mattering.
    I have friends that call me b!+ch, its great, they say it in a loving way.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    IMO there are two appropriate times to say 'ladies'
    1.If you work at a retail store, and a group of women walks in.
    Example: "Hi, ladies! Welcome to chainsaw land, let me know if I can help you trim your bushes"

2. If you're creepy.
    Example: "I am a creature that lurks the depths of the internet, come at me ladies ;D"

I like you!