What was your wake up call?

Options

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    jeans in size 20:noway:

Hah and I was thrilled to fit INTO a 20. But hey when you start with tight 22's/loose 24's, a loose 20 feels amazing!
  • reneeroberts_88
    reneeroberts_88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Family Chirstmas picture. I was sitting next to my MIL who is not a small person, I looked bigger than her in the picture. I knew I had to get my weight under control.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Finding out i was pregnant for my 2nd child, being 20# heavier than I was when I got pregnant with my first… and I was very overweight then.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    My 8 yr old told me that i looked like i was about to have a baby....that did it!! I took a picture of myself and didn't like what I saw. The transformation continues...
  • jamieshrinking
    Options
    My wake up call...when my husband told me he didn't find me attractive anymore, and didn't know if he wanted to stay married. I have since lost 45.8 lbs in the last 6 months (using MFP and working out for the last 3 months).
    He did end up deciding to leave last week, in spite of all my success. Too little too late in his opinion.

I'm still awake, and carrying on my transformation...I'm not done yet!
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When happy marriage weight became not so happy. Tipped the scale at 230 and that was enough for me;-) Under 190 and maintaining over a year and I'm my lightest as an adult. Just a little focus and the inner desire to make health, nutrition and daily fitness a lifestyle choice and not just a fad.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Started getting really tired and easily out of breath, (husband felt same too), so we wanted to make change.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    My mom let me borrow some jeans, which I figured would be way too big on me since she's twice my age and has had three kids. And she's always saying how much weight she's put on and how she needs to lose it. But they fit me perfectly :O No offense to my mom but that's when I knew it was time to make a change...
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    My wake up call...when my husband told me he didn't find me attractive anymore, and didn't know if he wanted to stay married. I have since lost 45.8 lbs in the last 6 months (using MFP and working out for the last 3 months).
    He did end up deciding to leave last week, in spite of all my success. Too little too late in his opinion.

Good for you! Besides, you need to be healthier for YOU and not for anyone else. Sorry for what you're going through though. :flowerforyou:
  • DankaCibulka
    DankaCibulka Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    jeans in size 20:noway:

Hah and I was thrilled to fit INTO a 20. But hey when you start with tight 22's/loose 24's, a loose 20 feels amazing!

:happy:
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Combination of two things-

Went to the beach with my sister, and my brother in law took TONS of pictures. Eek.

I was sitting at work in the conference room for some "birthday treat", and I was looking at the fattest person at work, and trying to judge how far away her stomach was from the table, and if I was smaller than her. All the sudden I thought, "Wait, what?" I realized that I wouldn't be happy just being "less fat" than the biggest person at work.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I had gotten to the point where most of my clothes didn't fit me. I spent and entire spring & summer with ONE pair of shorts that fit and ONE pair of capris that fit. I refused to buy new ones. At 5'1" with a small-medium frame, going up a size was NOT an option for me.
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    After working out and altering my diet for a year and a half, I saw video of myself taken last December...and I STILL LOOKED LIKE ****! I knew then that at my age (40) you can't just do what always worked for you "then", you have to take it to another level. I did. No looking back.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

What a jerk. If my SO said something like that I'd be like, "oh, really? k bye!" but props to you for trying to make it work. Now you can go find yourself a REAL man. ;)

On another note, I've had multiple wake-up calls and none of them really got me going. I just finally decided to go for it. Or - maybe I just haven't had my "true" wake-up call yet. *scared*
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have had so many wake up calls that they are more like reminders these days.

When my little sister and I had a weight talk and she honestly answered my question by saying sometimes I embarrased her with my weight.

my neice being innocent asking why my belly was so big and if I had a baby in it.

daily reminders that keep motivating me is when i look in the mirror and don't like what i see, look at pictures (especially where I'm sitting)
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I lost about 28 pounds and put back on about 18 of it.... My clothes stopped fitting about 2 weeks ago, I've been making changes and I'm feeling better. Also when I was helping babysit my nephew I had a hard time getting up and when I declined invites to go out because no clothes fit right..... I'm back and I'm going to do this!
  • kookanddra
    Options
    A couple years ago when I went to get my drivers license renewed. I saw my picture and was crying before I left the DMV. I showed my MIL who is overweight and she was wondering why it looked like my chin was pointing down. I told her it wasn't. It was just me taking a picture.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been so tired for such a long time, and in constant pain. Doctor has been suggesting WLS and one day I realized I was really considering it. I want to be in control. I "allow" my SO to push food on me. I feel sorry for myselt. I've got to take back pride and self-esteem and make the necessary changes. So I'm logging my food and tomorrow I'm going to see a dietician. Watch out!! I'm going to rock this.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1.my huge stomach kept bumping into things- I think I had piled on 20 lbs or so incredibly fast that I didn't realize that I had gotten so big. I've been wearing elastic and flowy dresses for so long- they 'fit' at any weight.

2.people kept asking me if I was pregnant

3. avoiding going out to clubs or dancing because none of my cute going out clothes fit.

I still have a long way to go but at least 1 + 2 aren't happening anymore
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    i new i needed to lose some weight but I didnt realize how big I got until I took a pic for my starting point then I realized dam I realy do need to lose some weight.