What was your wake up call?

Options

Replies

• Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    my wake up call was when I was out buying pie for a colleagues birthday (a lot of people do pie in the Netherlands rather than cake), I bought an extra half a pie, drove to a secluded parking lot, ate it as quickly as I could and drove somewhere else to find a trash can so nodbody would know I did it. When I got to work I stood in the toilet, ashamed, trying to make myself throw up. I knew right then and there that I needed help. There were a lot of similar events leading up to that point but sticking my finger down my throat was the ultimate low point for me. Seeking help was the best decision I could have made for myself.

It's been over two years since I've binged (or hidden and eaten) and I am a different person, mentally, surrouding food. Getting help was life changing.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    when my mom died at the age of 45 due to several health issues.
    This made me quite sad, I want to give you a hug.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Getting a bathroom scale and realizing I was heavier than my bf
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Being told " you do look well" when they mean "oh you have put weight on" and when more then one person says that to you, it is time to do some thing about it x
  • marysowter
    Options
    Hi that was honest and truthful of you.I wish you well x:flowerforyou:
  • marysowter
    Options
    Hi one big HUG coming your way x:flowerforyou:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Getting this in a fortune cookie whilst eating out...the image is clipped if you are easily offended if not right click and hit view image)
    1_zps95a274ea.jpg

But seriously though I used to hide from the camera because I had grown to hate myself but the final straw was when a friend posted a pic I didn't know about on Facebook of me at a psytrance festival and not only was I quite out of shape(understatement) I looked so sad even though I should have been having the time of my life...I wanted to cry.
    I just quoted because I didn't want to just be a funny douche bag, you deserved to know the truth as everybody is being quite honest.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Getting this in a fortune cookie whilst eating out...the image is clipped if you are easily offended if not right click and hit view image)
    "1_zps95a274ea.jpg"

That is seriously freaky! Are all fortune cookies like that? (I don't each much chinese food and I don't think we have fortune cookies so much in uk anyway)

My wake up call was the picture of me on the left
    <<<<<

I had been unable to do up my shoes without puffing, my clothes were tight, I had little energy but still I did nothing. Then in the summer we went to France and I felt embarrassed to go swimming, my summer clothes were huge but tight and my husband took this picture of me. Not until we go home and he put it on Facebook did it hit me what a big fatty I looked.

I have been feeling really good as I have just 16 lb to go, having got rid of 34 lb. Still motivated, still logging my intake and output, loving MFP. Thanks everyone!
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Carrying an extra 20lb I had to go for emergency abdominal surgery and I sure would have benefited from being a healthy weight and fitter (easier on the body/quicker repair/less rehab etc) It makes me value my body and its health and fitness :love:
  • marysowter
    Options
    Hi I hope all goes well for you and you met the most kind and gorgeous man around, you sound a lovely young lady and worth more so the best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    My wake up call was being diagnosed with high blood pressure while trying to battle my hypothyroidism. My family has a history of high blood pressure, heart disease, and strokes. A couple of years ago I had a brother who died of heart disease. I refuse to continue to be overweight. I know I can win this battle as long as a I don't give up and do my very best to stick to it.

Thats so inspiring, good on you!
  • bowmaster71
    bowmaster71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A couple of things for me. Went to the dr. in January and for the first time in 12 years my numbers for my blood work are high. She told me to drop 20 lbs. This I have done. In Feb. mess my knee up. The doc decided to do an MRI of both knees. Found out I severe arthritis on the front and back of both of my knees. He told me if I don't drop the weight I would be looking at full knee replacements in under 5 years. I am only 41.
    I have a step- daughter who has CP who can't speak, she rubbed my belly a few weeks ago and gave me her sign for baby.That really wakes a person up.:sad:
    Then to top things off I have COPD. Getting the weight off will help me with my breathing.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Heart attack at 56. Spent a week in intensive care. Thought I was a goner for sure. Mostly bed ridden for next year and a half. Three angioplasties and a stent later still struggled to breath. Decided I had enough and moved back to FL to go to Mayo. Joined MFP on the advice of Mayo and finally I can walk up stairs without panting and gasping for air. Never again. My husband passed at age 48 due to heart problems and diabetes. Not being here for my son and daughter and grand kids is NOT a option.

Your story has brought tears to my eyes! What you are doing is so commendable, I'm proud of you! Keep it up, your family needs you healthy! Good luck!!! :smile:

Edit: I want to add that I'm proud of everyone for taking the steps to a healthy life! This story just hits really close to home!
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Not being able to pull my size 4 jeans over my thighs. I sat on my floor and cried, and promised myself I'd change. 35 pounds later, I'm now a size 2 or smaller! (depending on the store/brand)
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    I visited family last year and we decided to take a day trip out on a bbq boat. After swimming for awhile I couldnt get back into the boat. I tried and tried to the point I was crying and the very nice boat man and my hubby were trying to help me. They ended up dragging me haging on the side over to the back so that I could get back up.
    The first problem was that the ladder was very ill designed but the biggest problem was that I was so unhealthy and heavy. I still have nightmares about it and I refuse to let that happen to me ever again. So now if I lack motivation, I think of that and I absolutly refuse to sit and do nothing.
  • SweetTeaAndCutoffs
    SweetTeaAndCutoffs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I didn't want to be in pictures anymore, because I really didn't like what I saw. I thought I looked ok in the mirror, but pictures were totally different.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Well, there were a few things.

My fiance telling me he was scared for me and my health and that he didn't want to bury me early. The fact that every time I went shopping I ended up crying in my car on the way home because if I DID end up walking out with something that fit, I still didn't like how I looked in it. My dad constantly calling me "fatty" whenever I stop by the house (even if he doesn't mean it). My hip hurting so badly just from WALKING around the office that I could hardly move it. My doctor telling me the only way to help the hip pain was to take the weight off of it... So, a few things.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I want to look pretty in a dress that I could buy in a normal size, I want to be under a double digit pant size (currently a 12), I want to feel as sexy, or even half that of what my bf tells me I am. I want to lose the weight before it has a dramatic impact on my health, I want to be able to bike/hike/etc for fun without worrying about keeping up! I am so hard on myself, I want to be proud instead!
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    I have had a lot of wake up calls, I just kept hitting the snooze button.
    1. I weigh more than I ever have in my life, oh well.
    2. I had gestational diabetes with all 3 babies....it has always gone away.
    3. I can't run with my kids...there kids, they should have more energy than me.
    4. My brother-in-law signed me up to do an obstacle 5K....This is the one that eventually "woke" me up. I realised there was no way I was even going to be able to walk the course. I was embarrassed. How did I keep making excuses all of this time. How did I let myself go. I am morbidly obese and someday I will thank my BIL b/c I think he just saved my life.