What was your wake up call?

Options

Replies

• JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    A snippet from my about me:

Back in Summer 2011, I was overweight - 5' 7'' 157lbs. I walked up a flight of stairs and was huffin' and puffin' when I reached the top (didn't blow a house down ;). Albeit I was borderline normal weight and overweight, I was unhealthy. My doctor told me I had high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I knew something had to change; I realized it had to be gradual...
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    From About Me:
    One day I was clothes shopping and found I was just a bit too big for the 'regular' stores, and a bit too small for the plus size stores. At the time I joked that I needed to either gain some weight or lose some. I decided to lose...
    ETA: Around the same time I put my back out (slipped a disc for the UKers) and the physio I saw told me to lose 40lbs and take up yoga. My back has improved with every pound I've lost. And I do love yoga (HOT!!)
  • ryanarrowsmith
    ryanarrowsmith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me it was the constant frustration of nothing fitting when I wanted to buy clothes! The final straw though was when I was watching The Biggest Loser and realised there was only a couple of contestants that weighed more than me...

I've found calorie counting/deficit really logical so far though, so I'm hoping to stay motivated :)
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    A lot of people asked me why I suddenly decided to get fit and healthy, and my honest answer is "I don't remember" ^^;; I know I woke up one day and thought "Okay, I'm going to sign up with this gym and start getting healthy." Maybe my brain is being kind by blocking out the memory.

The only real thing I can remember is that on August when I went on holiday with my SO, I hated so many pictures of myself because I looked horrible in them. It was only in October that I started though - so maybe it just took 2 months for the absolute horror to sink in lol.
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    Hopefully this isn't too lude, thats not my intention. I was having a little difficulty uh....self-handling, AS effectively as before while laying on my stomach. Just sumthin in the way...

/blush

- Mharren
  • CiLLax
    CiLLax Posts: 5
    Options
    I stepped on the scale & I weigh as much as I did when I had my daughter.
    Also, today at work I was told "You're starting to show"
    Hmm, that's to bad considering I'm not pregnant. :(
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    My wake up call...when my husband told me he didn't find me attractive anymore, and didn't know if he wanted to stay married. I have since lost 45.8 lbs in the last 6 months (using MFP and working out for the last 3 months).
    He did end up deciding to leave last week, in spite of all my success. Too little too late in his opinion.

I'm still awake, and carrying on my transformation...I'm not done yet!

"too little too late?"

I'm sorry but he sounds like he was trying to make up an excuse to leave or something. What a shallow reason..... I'm so sorry :(
  • joannedemarco
    Options
    My lab results.....letting myself get off track for 6 months and seeing those high cholesterol numbers as well as glucose...Got to get back right on track now.
  • jwdesiree
    jwdesiree Posts: 31
    Options
    I saw my Xmas pictures and I didn't recognize myself.

EXACTLY what happened to me! My fiance and I have a photographer in the family so she took shots of us with the dog and my future in-laws; my mother-in-law to-be blew them up and sent to us. I almost lost it.
  • Steph0219
    Steph0219 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tired of my clothes not fitting and I just don't feel healthy!
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Reaching 191.4 lbs & seeing my older sister becoming healthy and fit. She has a lovely body!
  • JonnyR214
    JonnyR214 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I took a photo and compared it to an old one, I immediately got off my *kitten* after it and i've been working out and eating clean since the first.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Tried on a dress at Macy's and realized I couldn't wear whatever I wanted to anymore and look GOOD.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    All of my grandparents who have passed away have passed away due to heart problems and my father had open heart surgery at 58 years of age and is diabetic, as was his father. I would like to avoid these issues. But, my biggest eye opener at how big I was happened when I had to buy a size 20 jean (womens) and that made me realize how far I had let myself go. I am now in a 15-17 size in junior jeans, but still working on it :)
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    when i had to ask family members not to post pictures of me on FB and I would constantly hide from the camera. normally i was a picture *kitten* before gaining weight.
  • saraj78
    saraj78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had to have an attendant help fasten my seatbelt on roller coasters at Cedar Point last year. Humiliation.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I spent the better part of a year on my *kitten* because of an issue with my pelvis and vowed that I'd never take my mobility and health for granted again. Riding a cart at WalMart because I was in too much pain to walk was horrible. Prior to that I'd ballooned to my at-term weight with my first child...not so great on the ego, either.
  • bored2pieces2
    Options
    My real wake up call was when a RANDOM STRANGER came up to me and gave me some unsolicited advise on how to lose weight last week.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Christmas day I was getting ready for the days festivities. I went to put on my size 14 dress pants that I had not worn since that March. I could not get them buttoned and I just bulged out of them. I put a rubber band around the button to close it, but the fat bulges were too awful. I wore something else instead. I was still in physical therapy for a shoulder injury so didn't actually start the weight loss/exercise until Feb 1st. I knew I didn't want to purchase larger pants and this had to stop now.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    When it took me two days to find a pair of jeans at the mall that fit right....