What was your wake up call?

Options

Replies

• fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My ex-boyfriend. He decided to end our relationship of 2 years because ''I was no longer his type". He told me that he doesn't think I would be able to lose weight EVER because of my health condition (I was put on a hormone medication that made me gain weight). I was shattered because I was 18 at that time, that was my first love and I thought that we were gonna last forever.

I was angry, humiliated and miserable. My idea of a revenge was to lose weight and be foxy. So, I started eating right, working out etc, a month later, I was taken off my meds. Eventhough, I started my fitness regime to prove a point to my ex, I actually started enjoying the results and it soon became something I was doing for myself.

I lost all the extra weight. I am not at my goal yet but I'm no longer overweight. And I am really healthy, happy and content with myself.

For those who are interested to know what happened to my ex, He wants to get back together with me now that I have lost those extra pounds and is quite surprised that I don't give him time of the day.. :laugh: Yup, totally satisfying!!:bigsmile: :devil:
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Heart attack at 56. Spent a week in intensive care. Thought I was a goner for sure. Mostly bed ridden for next year and a half. Three angioplasties and a stent later still struggled to breath. Decided I had enough and moved back to FL to go to Mayo. Joined MFP on the advice of Mayo and finally I can walk up stairs without panting and gasping for air. Never again. My husband passed at age 48 due to heart problems and diabetes. Not being here for my son and daughter and grand kids is NOT a option.
    Wow I'm so sorry you've been through all of that. Good for you to take control and stick around!
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Getting 60 pounds over the weight I said I would never get to.
  • PattiBear85
    PattiBear85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A photo at Easter time. And my scale creeping up higher and higher...
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Got cheated on and was told it was because I was fat.

I lost the weight and left the dumbass. Thanks for paying for the Gym membership Sucka!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A cop in a neighboring jurisdiction got shot on 19 December 2011, the day before my 31st birthday. I sat on my couch with my then 8 month old daughter watching the news coverage knowing that the SWAT team hunkered down behind the armored vehicle in the foreground were all friends of mine. I knew that I should be there and decided right then and there NEVER to miss the call again. I always had an excuse not to train for SWAT but the truth was that I was scared to fail because I was afraid to get ready for the PT test. I committed to it, cut the weight, trained hard and qualified for SWAT. I kept going, and have now been a member of the team for about a year and have cut another 25 pounds since that qualification.

If, god forbid, that happens again I will not be sitting on the couch watching helplessly. I will be in the thick of it sharing in the suck with my brothers and doing my part.

Never again will I be too weak or too lazy to do my part. This commitment has made me stronger, faster, and lighter and has helped me tremendously in all aspects of my regular patrol job as an added benefit.
  • clk1255
    clk1255 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hating to see pictures of myself and feeling the strain on my joints and back.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Total cholesterol = 304
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Trying on wedding dresses.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    When one of my cousins told me my butt got fat, when I was a bridesmaid at my cousin's wedding:-Spring 2011.
  • kcatlin9
    kcatlin9 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure 154 over 102 and the look on the faces of the nurses.
  • rhysbrett
    Options
    First annual medical and the Dr told me to lose at least 13kg.

Trying to lose the last couple now.
  • MissMissyMiss
    Options
    Being the biggest i have ever been, i am 26 i know that if i do not hurry up and get my good habit and ideal weight started now i know it will just keep getting harder and harder to start later. Seeing my pictures and having to buy bigger clothes is no longer something i am ok with!
  • marinachan83
    Options
    Oh man where do I begin. I've always been a little on the chunky side even through high school. After my divorce years back I vowed to lose the weight and feel good about myself I had gotten down to a size 4 pants but two years back my father died and I stopped caring, lost my job, and put on about 10lbs. I had my third baby this last year and it's been 9 months now and no change in loss. So I buckled myself down to take it serious again. I can't run like I used to it hurts to do basic things I was very flexible now I have grunt just to get up from the floor with my baby. My family has had so many health problems the last thing my genetics need are extra fat to fuel them.

I bought a size 6 dress for my wedding and I'll be damed if I'm going to not fit in it by next year.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My wake up call...when my husband told me he didn't find me attractive anymore, and didn't know if he wanted to stay married. I have since lost 45.8 lbs in the last 6 months (using MFP and working out for the last 3 months).
    He did end up deciding to leave last week, in spite of all my success. Too little too late in his opinion.

I'm still awake, and carrying on my transformation...I'm not done yet!

Sorry to say if your husband is that shaow then you are better off without him. If every man or woman left there spouse because of their weight we would not have too many marriages in todays society.
    My husband would never say I was no long attractive to him as he always tells me he loves me unconditionally and that includes some excess weight which he sees me working so hard to reduce. Will he love me more with less weight, no, he will just be happy that it lost the weight for myself without being guilted into losing weight.
    Keep up the good work as you need to do it for you.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Got cheated on and was told it was because I was fat.

I lost the weight and left the dumbass. Thanks for paying for the Gym membership Sucka!

That is horrible!! But you've got an awesome attitude. Way to go.
  • Pinkielee81
    Pinkielee81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Watching WWE with my husband and I weighed more the John Cena...Even though my husband said I was still beautiful no matter my size I sure didn't feel it....so the next morning I made an appointment for a check up and to get back in shape!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had a health scare a few years ago in my early 40s. That didn't do it. Nor did realising how fragile life was.

Strangely the aha moment really came one day in a local deli. I went there to buy a bottle of milk (or something similar) and then I spotted it: an overpriced, exotic tiramisu which had enough calories to support a baby hippo.

I knew I was fat and that I did not need to eat it. I knew that I needed discipline NOT to buy it. But I had no discipline. I bought it.

As I proceeded to demolish this delectable dessert it just hit me. The lack of self control. The fact that I was obese and could not stop. The fact that I was going down the slippery slope of setting myself up for a coronary. Or something else.

I started to watch what I ate and lost a few kilograms over the next month. Now I had done this before and re-gained the weight. What I knew I needed was some sort of calorie tracking tool.

Then I discovered a smartphone app called Myfitnesspal. You know.

That was back in mid 2011.

It is now 2013 and I am pleased to say that despite a few ups and downs, I am still logging and still well down on my "Starting weight" (despite a long plateau followed by some weight gain towards the end of last year).

In fact you can say I had my second aha moment at the start of this year after a holiday too. Having re-gained around 1/4 of the weight that I lost over the previous year, I KNEW I had to take action once again.

So here I am. 46 and as light (and likely fitter) than I was at 36!
  • coz1979
    coz1979 Posts: 120
    Options
    Xmas picture I looked really miserable and unhealthy, I knew after seeing those pictures things had to change for the best :)
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Walking up the stairs talking to a group of people. I was so puffed out I pretended to have to stop to tie up my shoe lace telling them to go on ahead of me.

I thought I was going to pass out.

It was one flight of ten steps!

The next day MFP and away I went