Are my testicles ovaries?

Options

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Women don't have fat days because we have ovaries, we have fat days because we live in a male-dominated world with rigid beauty ideals that were culturally ingrained into us from birth. :wink:

There we go blaming it on men again. I swear, this kind of verbal abuse is almost not even worth making more money on average for the same work. GOD!!

I am going to kindly disagree both with the "male-dominated world" causing fat days, as well as calling that statement "verbal abuse."

In fact, I'm going to say both are a tish extreme... maybe even a bit absurd.

Pickle anyone?

tumblr_mjzmf6Lt551rx7oeno1_500.jpg
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You could have an xy chromosome, but no androgen receptors and then your body would have developed as a female (female brain and female sexual organs). But, you would not have the internal reproductive system of a woman, and when you hit puberty the testicles that are inside your body would start to grow and become uncomfortable. So, you would go to the doctor and that would be the first time you find out. They would need to remove the testicles or else they will become cancerous if left inside the body. Under these circumstances you would have a vagina (no uterus) and the brain of a female, so you would choose to take female hormones which would allow you to develop breasts and go through puberty as a female. I do know that can happen.

Thanks for clearing that up for meeee!! :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Women don't have fat days because we have ovaries, we have fat days because we live in a male-dominated world with rigid beauty ideals that were culturally ingrained into us from birth. :wink:

There we go blaming it on men again. I swear, this kind of verbal abuse is almost not even worth making more money on average for the same work. GOD!!

I am going to kindly disagree both with the "male-dominated world" causing fat days, as well as calling that statement "verbal abuse."

Pickle anyone?

^ Someone who can respectfully disagree! :happy:

Too bad I hate pickles though.

WHAT??? Now that is just unacceptable! What is wrong with some salty pickle???

;-)
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    slide_284918_2244086_free.jpg?1363808544001

Had to save this one! :laugh:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

This doesn't even merit a reply. There was nothing abusive about my comment. *eye roll*

Huh, I thought he was just trying to be funny.

He was. :smile:

Gotcha. :wink: Now I want a pickle.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Pickle anyone?

*kitten*. I read you wrong, Brunner *hangs head in shame*

I really do owe you a pickle, now.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

WHAT??? Now that is just unacceptable! What is wrong with some salty pickle???

;-)

They make me do this:

SourFace.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    owned.

I'm still not convinced that it is necessarily the male-dominated portion of society that drives this. I agree with the poster that said women (and girls) do a lot of the things they do for other women (or girls) sake. They do things that most guys would never even notice, but women do.

For example, eyebrows. Why do women spend so much time plucking their eyebrows, or removing them and painting on new ones? I do not know of any guy who has ever looked over a woman as a potential mate and said.. "Check out her eyebrows. She is the girl for me." The same can be said for fashion items. I work with mostly women, and I was surprised the first time I heard someone say, "did you see those shoes she was wearing?" in a snarky way. I had never even looked at the woman's feet, and was about to say something thinking it was joke, when all the other girls started sniping as well. That leads me to believe that the women will comply with the fashion of the day to avoid being sniped by their fellow women behind their back or in front of them.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're missing the point.

No, men probably don't examine a woman's eyebrows or notice if her outfit doesn't look quite right, but the fact that women feel the need to compete with each other suggests a huge underlying issue. This is the cultural indoctrination I'm talking about.

In my original post I said we live in a "male dominated society." What I DIDN'T say is that women don't pressure each other, and that rigid beauty ideals are all down to the power of men. You read 3 words of my sentence and now you're presenting me with a bit of a straw man argument.

I actually read your entire argument. I agreed with much of it. As I stated in at least one of my replies, much of the impetus and the standards that are setup are completely communicated through the media which is one of the largest establishers of our culture. The one I didn't mention because it is inflammatory is our public eduation system. I won't get into that as it is even further off topic than this has already become.

What I am saying is that I just am not sure that I agree that the male-dominated society is the major contributor. I never said it wasn't a contributor. There is a lot of evidence that shows, as someone else pointed out, that women compete amongst other women for the sperm of the alpha-male. That is biologically driven, and makes sense in the propgation of the gametes in future generations, which from a biological perspecticve is the purpose of everything. In sociobiology, there is an entire field that deals wiht the evolution of sexual behavior. These behaviors are not seen only in humans. I know I am not being complete or very clear in my arguments, because I could fill an entire page on the subject, and I don't want to do that. In the attempt at brevity, I am losing a lot of what I want to say. It's a very complex issue, and deserves a thread of its own to do it justice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Women do compete against each other, but ask yourself why? It's more than "so I can look better than her."

Personally I think the fact that there are so many "competitive" women is a great example of how such a society has turned us against each other.

The issue I have with this statement isn't that you think women are competitive, it's that you think it's a woman-only issue. Guys are locked in competition with each other as well. Cars, clothes, careers, along with our physiques are things we use to seem more attractive than the guy standing next to us. Hell, if two men enter a restroom at the same time odds are they are trying to piss for a longer time than the guy at the next urinal.

The world is a competitive place for people of every sex/race/ethnicity/religion. I have no sciencey links to back this claim, but I'm fairly sure this existed back in caveman times and before media or culture got blamed for everything.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Pickle anyone?

As long as it isn't a sweet pickle. I'm game.
  • peachfigs
    Options

I actually read your entire argument. I agreed with much of it. As I stated in at least one of my replies, much of the impetus and the standards that are setup are completely communicated through the media which is one of the largest establishers of our culture. The one I didn't mention because it is inflammatory is our public eduation system. I won't get into that as it is even further off topic than this has already become.

What I am saying is that I just am not sure that I agree that the male-dominated society is the major contributor....

Your last line: I never said that. :smile: There's your straw man right there.

I actually agree that the media IS one of the largest influences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Women do compete against each other, but ask yourself why? It's more than "so I can look better than her."

Personally I think the fact that there are so many "competitive" women is a great example of how such a society has turned us against each other.

The issue I have with this statement isn't that you think women are competitive, it's that you think it's a woman-only issue. Guys are locked in competition with each other as well. Cars, clothes, careers, along with our physiques are things we use to seem more attractive than the guy standing next to us. Hell, if two men enter a restroom at the same time odds are they are trying to piss for a longer time than the guy at the next urinal.

The world is a competitive place for people of every sex/race/ethnicity/religion. I have no sciencey links to back this claim, but I'm fairly sure this existed back in caveman times and before media or culture got blamed for everything.

I totally agree! But I can't speak for men, because I'm a woman. Acknowledging women's struggles in the world isn't dismissing the struggles men go through too.

And I never said it's a women only issue. :smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You're clearly not drinking enough booze, OP
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Blame it on the Rain

hahahahaha Now im going to have that song stuck in my head!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    owned.

I'm still not convinced that it is necessarily the male-dominated portion of society that drives this. I agree with the poster that said women (and girls) do a lot of the things they do for other women (or girls) sake. They do things that most guys would never even notice, but women do.

For example, eyebrows. Why do women spend so much time plucking their eyebrows, or removing them and painting on new ones? I do not know of any guy who has ever looked over a woman as a potential mate and said.. "Check out her eyebrows. She is the girl for me." The same can be said for fashion items. I work with mostly women, and I was surprised the first time I heard someone say, "did you see those shoes she was wearing?" in a snarky way. I had never even looked at the woman's feet, and was about to say something thinking it was joke, when all the other girls started sniping as well. That leads me to believe that the women will comply with the fashion of the day to avoid being sniped by their fellow women behind their back or in front of them.

I understand where you're coming from, but you're missing the point.

No, men probably don't examine a woman's eyebrows or notice if her outfit doesn't look quite right, but the fact that women feel the need to compete with each other suggests a huge underlying issue. This is the cultural indoctrination I'm talking about.

In my original post I said we live in a "male dominated society." What I DIDN'T say is that women don't pressure each other, and that rigid beauty ideals are all down to the power of men. You read 3 words of my sentence and now you're presenting me with a bit of a straw man argument.

What I am saying is that I just am not sure that I agree that the male-dominated society is the major contributor. I never said it wasn't a contributor. There is a lot of evidence that shows, as someone else pointed out, that women compete amongst other women for the sperm of the alpha-male. That is biologically driven, and makes sense in the propgation of the gametes in future generations, which from a biological perspecticve is the purpose of everything. In sociobiology, there is an entire field that deals wiht the evolution of sexual behavior. These behaviors are not seen only in humans. I know I am not being complete or very clear in my arguments, because I could fill an entire page on the subject, and I don't want to do that. In the attempt at brevity, I am losing a lot of what I want to say. It's a very complex issue, and deserves a thread of its own to do it justice.

You're both missing the point. It's evolution, not media or male dominated society. Women are looking for strong sperm, they're looking for providers of a nest as well as protection from harm. They are looking for strong genetics so their babies don't die. They're looking for a man that will take care of both mother and baby, so the mom can focus on the baby. Simple evolution baby! I agree that in the natural progression of evolution the means in which the female attracts the male has changed, but the underlying factors are the same. Men have fat days because they feel they aren't attactive enough to spawn with a female, same with females, but the REASON as to why we're attracted are the same. Men are here to spread the seed, women are here to nest. If you can't take care of my nest, you won't be spreading your seed.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Pickle anyone?

*kitten*. I read you wrong, Brunner *hangs head in shame*

I really do owe you a pickle, now.

Score!

In all seriousness, it is a shame that people feel such pressure to conform to an often unattainable standard of beauty, regardless of gender, to the point that it causes harm. Guys are feeling it more than ever.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I mus have this topic in my news feed.

this too!
  • peachfigs
    Options

You're both missing the point. It's evolution, not media or male dominated society. Women are looking for strong sperm, they're looking for providers of a nest as well as protection from harm. They are looking for strong genetics so their babies don't die. They're looking for a man that will take care of both mother and baby, so the mom can focus on the baby. Simple evolution baby! I agree that in the natural progression of evolution the means in which the female attracts the male has changed, but the underlying factors are the same. Men have fat days because they feel they aren't attactive enough to spawn with a female, same with females, but the REASON as to why we're attracted are the same. Men are here to spread the seed, women are here to nest. If you can't take care of my nest, you won't be spreading your seed.

I agree with that too. Like I said before, it isn't just ONE thing, it's lots of factors.

I didn't want to bring evolution into it because I didn't want to derail the thread any further than it has done, but you explained it much better than I could anyway. Kudos. :flowerforyou:
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Holy hell!! This got really funny, really fast!!!! Dude, you are an idiot!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You could have an xy chromosome, but no androgen receptors and then your body would have developed as a female (female brain and female sexual organs). But, you would not have the internal reproductive system of a woman, and when you hit puberty the testicles that are inside your body would start to grow and become uncomfortable. So, you would go to the doctor and that would be the first time you find out. They would need to remove the testicles or else they will become cancerous if left inside the body. Under these circumstances you would have a vagina (no uterus) and the brain of a female, so you would choose to take female hormones which would allow you to develop breasts and go through puberty as a female. I do know that can happen.

Thanks for clearing that up for meeee!! :laugh:

You're Welcome :wink:
This discussion has been closed.