UK sayings vs USA sayings

Options
12346»

Replies

• FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This will burn you guys, but in the UK we really can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent....

I guess it probably depends on where someone is from. There is variation of the accents within Canada and within the states that is much more noticeable than just Canada vs. U.S. Obviously people from the predominantly French speaking areas usually have a strong French accent because English is their second language. Some other parts of Canada have a stronger accent (that is even more noticeable than being from the U.K.). I live in Canada. And in the U.S. There are some areas that have strong accents: The South, Boston, New York, Minnesota are just some examples. I don't have a Boston accent anymore (that's where I grew up), but when I did everywhere I went people knew I was from Boston the moment I spoke. Boston also has some unusual words. For example we call a drinking fountain a Bubbler (although pronounce it Bubbla).

Yep, I've got the Boston accent. Plus only New Englanders use the word "wicked" the way we do

That would be true with UK accents as well - definitely a regional difference. I found that the farther north and closer to Scotland I got in England, the thicker the accent sounded to me. There were times I had to have people repeat themselves because I couldn't understand them!
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    some canadian ones: Mostly Newfoundland terms

blown up like a habour tom cod - feeling bloated after eater - or gotten fat
    stay where you to till I comes where ya at - stay there, I will be right over
    don't blear your mudder - don't back talk your mother
    I dies at ya b'y - you're funny
    how she cuttin dere b'y - how are you?
    where she longs at? - where are you from?

anyone else try reading these in your head and heard them come out with a pirate voice? lol
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    She looks like 10lbs of potatoes in a 5lb bag!!!!
  • elizarae11
    elizarae11 Posts: 346
    Options
    gotta go with good ol' minnesotan "uffda" and "you betcha"
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    We say "expecting" or "preggo" in the US for pregnancy... what's the norm in the UK?

We say that. Also "bun in the oven" and "up the duff". Mind you, I have no idea if that's British slang or not.

We'd say "preggers" rather than "preggo" in the UK.
  • beattie1
    Options
    This will burn you guys, but in the UK we really can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent....

I guess it probably depends on where someone is from. There is variation of the accents within Canada and within the states that is much more noticeable than just Canada vs. U.S. Obviously people from the predominantly French speaking areas usually have a strong French accent because English is their second language. Some other parts of Canada have a stronger accent (that is even more noticeable than being from the U.K.). I live in Canada. And in the U.S. There are some areas that have strong accents: The South, Boston, New York, Minnesota are just some examples. I don't have a Boston accent anymore (that's where I grew up), but when I did everywhere I went people knew I was from Boston the moment I spoke. Boston also has some unusual words. For example we call a drinking fountain a Bubbler (although pronounce it Bubbla).

Yep, I've got the Boston accent. Plus only New Englanders use the word "wicked" the way we do

That would be true with UK accents as well - definitely a regional difference. I found that the farther north and closer to Scotland I got in England, the thicker the accent sounded to me. There were times I had to have people repeat themselves because I couldn't understand them!

That happens to British people too. I grew up in London and worked with a guy from Glasgow (extreme Scottish accent). It was three months before I could understand a word he said. Stood me in good stead when "Rab C. Nesbit" was on TV (Scottish comedy character with thick Glasgow accent). I had to translate for my OH.
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you "couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery" means you are absolutely hopeless at organising things . :drinker:
  • beattie1
    Options
    I have two descriptions for people who are over- aspiring, they are trying to look / behave fancier than they really are -
    "All kippers and curtains" (posh curtains at the windows to impress the neighbours, but all they can afford for dinner is the cheapest food)
    and
    "Red hat and no knickers" - I don't think this has sexual connotations - it's putting on a show with the red hat, but can't afford any knickers (= panties for you US types)
  • beattie1
    Options
    I've thought of another one - this refers to a man, but the meaning is much the same -
    "He's all teeth and trousers"
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    "the lights are on but no ones in" a person is dumb

"you're having a bubble bath" you're laughing at someones expense

"have a butchers" take a look

"on my jack jones" being alone

"tiddly" typsy

"oily rags" *kitten*/cigarettes
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    US: "Well pin a rose on your nose" - Very sarcastic way of saying "Big Deal"
    "He'd lose his head if it wasn't attached" - describing a very forgetful person
    "Raining cats and dogs" - raining really hard
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    gotta go with good ol' minnesotan "uffda" and "you betcha"

Ah, uffda! My god-parents (MN & IA) taught me that one with the Sven and Ole jokes :smile:
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    Wiping before you poop.. makes no sense
    FUBAR..... FD up beyond all recognition
    Hotter than two mice fkn in a wool sock
    Hotter than a priest at alter boy practice
    Hotter than two gays in a hot dog factory
    Dumber than a box or rocks
    Not the sharpest tool in the shed
    Dumber than a door nail
    Useless as tits in a boar
    As awkward as a cub bear with his hot dog
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    UK...."fur coat and no knickers" (someone who pretends to be something they are not, or pretend to have more money than they have.

As I'm Welsh, here are a few Welsh ones,

I'll be there now in a minute!

I'm going from by here to by there!

she's bad in bed under the doctor

and the best Welsh word ever is "cwtch"......it means a hug but with extra special meaning. Some of my English friends use this word as well as they love it so much. Try saying it out loud....it's lovely.
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    UK...."fur coat and no knickers" (someone who pretends to be something they are not, or pretend to have more money than they have.

As I'm Welsh, here are a few Welsh ones,

I'll be there now in a minute!

I'm going from by here to by there!

she's bad in bed under the doctor

and the best Welsh word ever is "cwtch"......it means a hug but with extra special meaning. Some of my English friends use this word as well as they love it so much. Try saying it out loud....it's lovely.

My welsh friend introduced me to cwtch and I love it! Its pronounced "cuutch" :-) Ahhh
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I know, cwtch is fab! It also has other meanings. A cwtch can be a little hiding place, or you can cwtch something away (hide it away).
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Geordie (Newcastle) slang sayings are the best, though frequently incomprehensible to anyone not from the locale.
    Some of my favourite (clean) ones are
    *Are ya funnin'?* You must be joking.
    *Eee, she's canny.* She's clever/sharp witted.
    *Tha's clarty.* You're dirty
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm from the extreme north of the South so get ribbed quite a bit by my "city" friends. In my neck of the woods our dialects are so discernable I can tell which town you come from in my county, in rural Kentucky you usually hail from counties not towns or cities. I had a "city" teacher in school ask us all what a "holler" was and we also use the word "boot" for a car truck, which is an English thing I think.
    Some sayings we use:
    like white on rice - meaning close to, like breathing down someone's neck
    to play possum is to pretend to be asleep, sick, dead, whatever
    as all get out- to the upmost
    a bun in the oven- preggers
    caught with his pants down
    in a coon's age- a long time
    bump on a log- pretty darn stupid
    having back door trots- having the runs you know?
    colder than a witch's tit
    pusing daisies- deader than a doorknob
    and my personal fave is I have to piss like a Russian racehorse.
    My husband has many more- he has the gift of blarney I guess you could say, altough his ancestors were Scottish, mine Irish and English. Also being from the South I get my feathers ruffled when non Southeners use y'all as singular- y'all is plural, you would never say "Y'all comin' to dinner?" talking to 1 person- it would be "You comin' to dinner" -just a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks for making my day reading all the funny sayings on here! I am pleased as punch or happier than a dog with a dead skunk.

I almost forgot "beat you like a red headed stepchild" - have no idea where that one came from!
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    FUBAR..... FD up beyond all recognition

In Emergency Medicine we have FUBAR-BUNDY, FUBAR But Unfortunately Not Dead Yet!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Canadian, here. Don't know where they come from, but:

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya. (Get out)

What the tar? (Expression if confusion)

Eh. (http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=eh)

Right chicken louie! (Come here/do this/obey me NOW!)1