Not pregnant... but thanks for asking?

Options
I swear, if I had a dollar for every time someone awkwardly asks me if I'm pregnant... I'd have enough money for liposuction. :wink:

Seriously though...

And then there's the awkward "oh, I'm not..." and like, what do you say then? "Sorry I have so much belly fat that it confused you and made you think i was actually growing another human being in there? Nope, I'm just fat."

Sigh...

Replies

• spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You will make progress. :-) Simply stick to it. Take your inspiration from the postage stamp. It is successful by simply sticking to it until the job is done!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned you NEVER EVER ask a woman if she's pregnant, end of story no matter what.
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    How very rude!!!

I had this when I was at my heaviest a number of years ago, from someone who worked in the canteen at my school. I was MORTIFIED and avoided her AND never wore the floaty top (that I thought was really pretty and looked nice) ever again!!!
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am with you! This happened to me and it made me so upset!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Must be awkward!
    I always make sure I never ask women if they're pregnant, how far along they are, etc. Even if they look pregnant, I never assume. I'm afraid to offend someone!
    But yeah, not sure what you would say in that type of situation! You could just say you're not pregnant. Or, if it's a person you'll never see again, maybe just go along with it? lol
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    (take note, I was only 17 when this happened)

I was working as a cashier at Walmart, and this customer asked me "So, when is your baby due?". Being the snarky little person that I am I replied back "The same time yours is." She looked confused and said "but I'm not...." and I was like "yeah, neither am I - and I'd hope not, considering I'm 17. So sorry, I'm just a fat teenager." She was mortified and so embarrassed.

I finished checking her out, told her to have a great day. Then she left and I started bawling. The CSM overheard everything though and let me take the rest of the night off.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said before, and I was just joking about this yesterday with someone, that you should never ask a woman if she is pregnant (or any related questions) unless you see a baby coming out of her.

Realistically, though, I will never say anything pregnancy-related to anyone unless I am 110% sure that she is pregnant. I am currently pregnant, so I have a lot of pregnant/new mom MFP friends, and someone on here told me recently that she was out and about with her newborn, and someone asked her when she was due. (Um, do you SEE the baby?) I think a lot of people don't get that even after you have a baby, you still might look pregnant for a little bit.

Anyway, to answer your question, I would just say, "I'm not pregnant." That's all you have to say, or you can choose to ignore their question. It's rude of them to ask, and either route should get the point across. I had a co-worker once who, for whatever reason, had a protruding belly. She was used to being asked when she was due, so she knew how to handle it gracefully, and the one time I saw it happen, that was all she said - "Oh, I'm not pregnant" - and then she went about her business.

So sorry this happened to you, though :frown:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    When I was 22 years old and at my grandmas house for thanksgiving dinner with my 3 month old daughter in my arms, wearing my first post-pregnancy outfit-a lovely grey wool jumper that I was proud of, a relative asked-when my "next baby" was due! My post partum feelings were so hurt, I cried. I had been so proud of the pounds I had already lost and showing off my new baby. I was heartbroken. I still remember my hurt at her thoughtlessness and I'm 59 now.
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    this sucks, Some woman asked me a while ago, I was already pretty upset about something else ( i was also at work working behind the bar) and she saide "are you .... aren't you... are you?" pointing at my belly I just wanted to shout at her IF YOU AREN'T ****ING CERTAIN DONT ASK *****

She was liek oh im sorry that was rude ... yes it was rude thanks for ruining my evening
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    That happened to me a couple of times---it's awful. Unfortunately I don't ever seem to lose my belly. Now it is not as bad as it was before I lost so much weight, but it is still disproportionately large. I had 4 kids in 8 years & now I'm permanently pregnant shaped :grumble: .
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Just tell people you ate your twin.
    But seriously, here's to you not having to deal with this in the near future! :drinker:
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It happened to me a year after my son was born. It sucks. I'm sorry it happen to you.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I asked that question once of someone who wasn't pregnant. We smoothed it over but I have never since asked that question of any woman. Even if she looks like she's due tomorrow,I figure she can volunteer it.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    I've had people ask me that before, even kids...lol I just say "Nope, I'm just fat." and then I laugh. I know I'm fat so it really doesn't bother me. One reason I laugh is because I love their expression when I tell them that. I don't think the people are meaning to be rude, it's just the idea of someone being pregnant makes them happy. They want to be able to say "Congratulations!!!".
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I definitely heard a comedian once say that you don't ask a woman if she's pregnant even if the baby's CROWNING. Just be like, did you get a haircut??

:P

Don't let it get to you!! You are making great progress so hang in there!
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These posts actually made me laugh out loud. :bigsmile:

It definitely wasn't the first time this happened to me... but it just so happened I had fit into a super cute new dress that was a size smaller than what I had been wearing, so I was feeling pretty good! And then that happened... lol, I guess it was the universe telling me I still have some work to do! :laugh:
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned you NEVER EVER ask a woman if she's pregnant, end of story no matter what.
    if only the rest of the blooming world knew that!
    ladies you got me chuckling because i feel your pain.
    i'm grateful no-one has made the mistake of asking....but i'm pretty certain there may be some who have thought it.
    on a slightly different twist when i was actually pregnant but not fully showing I felt the need to explain that hang on, I'm not fat I'm actually pregnant but gee the looks i was getting..

Soldier on my ladies!
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    I had this happen too. Then when I said no the lady said "are you sure?"...ummm...yeah :( it sucks. Don't let it get you down. I'm not where I want to be yet but at least no one asks me if I'm pregnant anymore. Let this idiot motivate you. If you want to change you can do it.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Been there....not cool. :brokenheart:
  • ellenvmelon
    Options
    Argh it's the worst right?! Once it happened to me at work and once at a wedding...and I always cry even when I'm raging so people who overheard were like "oh my god, are you ok?" and I was like I'M REALLY UPSET AND ANGRY BUT I'M CRYING TOO and then we'd all laugh and then get ragey again. People are so stupid!