Not pregnant... but thanks for asking?

Options

Replies

• k8ecakes
    k8ecakes Posts: 51
    Options
    Someone once asked me how many children i had. None was my answer and she said "don't lie to me, you look like you've had at least 3"

Real confidence boost...
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had this happen too. Then when I said no the lady said "are you sure?"...ummm...yeah :( it sucks. Don't let it get you down. I'm not where I want to be yet but at least no one asks me if I'm pregnant anymore. Let this idiot motivate you. If you want to change you can do it.

This happened to me...I'm a snarky little *kitten* so i promptly started to pull up my dress and asked if she wanted to get down there to check and make sure. She apologized and ran away while my friends (who are used to my snark) laughed hysterically.

OP, it's not cool but don't let it upset you!
  • sdalhall
    sdalhall Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had this happen too. Then when I said no the lady said "are you sure?"...ummm...yeah :( it sucks. Don't let it get you down. I'm not where I want to be yet but at least no one asks me if I'm pregnant anymore. Let this idiot motivate you. If you want to change you can do it.

Yep, I have had this happen, too. My favorite part is when they ask if you're sure. Seriously, people, I am 100% sure that this is FAT and not a baby! But, I had 2 huge singletons and a set of twins, so there is a muscle and hernia repair/tummy tuck in my future.

I still cry every time it happens, but you should try not to let it get you down. In my experience, only really dumb or really unattractive people ask this question. :huh:
  • TheKadester
    Options
    This actually happened to me today. Sigh. I wish all my fat didn't gather at my stomach. Some could go to my *kitten*. I suffer from NAALD (no *kitten* at all disease). Haha!
  • psychjp
    psychjp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me multiple times as well. I had twins and also had an umbilical hernia. Once, when I was leaving Costco, the woman who checks your receipt told me that she could tell I was having a boy and that she could see the baby's butt. My poor husband had to console me the rest of the night.

This is actually one of my major motivations......to never be asked this question again.
  • Cake323
    Cake323 Posts: 18
    Options
    :-( So sorry for you, that sucks. I think the worst time that happened to me was at the bank, I was wearing a long, flowy dress and the lady behind the counter asked when I was due. I said I wasn't pregnant, so she pointed at my belly and said "Oh, I thought that was a baby". Nope, just a big lunch, sigh....
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I remember being asked this after I was so proud of myself and lost my first 5 lbs. after I realized I was actually gaining weight to do something about it, and I was like seriously!! The person felt horrible!! Hopefully it gives you more motivation to keep it forward! You will get there!
  • diana79
    diana79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I understand, it can definitely be a challenge. But the best way to get thru it is with a winning attitude. I've openly said... "Yup I'm fat! :)". No denying the truth but not about to get down on myself. :)
    Just enjoy life take it one day at a time and see your body transform.
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    My former-in-laws seem to ask this question every time I see them --- I'm 48 years old for goodness sake, duh!

My new comeback is, "No, but thanks. I'm trying sooooo hard to look like Kim Kardashian".
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    no one should ask a woman if shes pregnant unless they see the belly button protruding or the woman makes a comment insinuating that shes pregnant. how rude!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I was once taking a walk outside cause it was a gorgeous day. stop at a red light and this woman comes up to me rubs my belly and congratulates me.

I looked at her like WTF and replied "thanks....not pregnant but thanks"

she looked mortified.

another woman at work once said I had a nice pregnant glow. I thanked her for the compliment of the glow but wasn't pregnant yet. she didn't speak to me much after that...pity.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It is not rude to ask a women if she is pregnent. If she looks prenent then it is not the askers fault. If you look pregnent and you are offended then you are the one being rude if you decide to take offense. (assuming someone is honestly asking of course and not just being mean)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    No offence but I think its absolutely hilarious.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It is not rude to ask a women if she is pregnent. If she looks prenent then it is not the askers fault. If you look pregnent and you are offended then you are the one being rude if you decide to take offense. (assuming someone is honestly asking of course and not just being mean)

Ah good. We can start asking you nosy questions about the state of your innards or what you've doing with your sexual organs then?

Back on track, I don't think people mean to be rude, of course, because as someone else said, they just want to pass on their happiness. But there are many reasons not to comment, such as some mentioned in this thread. And it's not always the "fault" of the person, like the woman who mentioned her medical problems and some people have even had tumors that were mistaken for pregnancies. You don't walk up to a person (male or female) and ask if they've had breast implants, hair plugs, microdermabrasion, lipo, etc. Lay off on asking what's inside someone's uterus and how it got there and when you're planning to get something there.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Once I had a cashier ask me "are you pregnant or just fat" Thank God I was 9 months pregnant at the time but I was shocked at her comment!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    On the way home from having my first child (while holding my first child) I was asked when I was due. Ummmmmm, hopefully not for a very long time?
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ugh I hate when people ask that question...its so rude...unless you know 100% DO NOT ASK!!! you wait for a woman to say "hey I am pregnant!" then you can ask when they are due.....ohhh and NEVER ask a pregnant woman if shes having twins when shes not....or that she looks HUGE....or looking like you are gonna pop any day now...that one has happened to me....in July of 2000, I was due in DECEMBER mind you....people asking me if I was due soon, and if I was sure I was only having one....I wanted to rip their heads off...thanks for telling me how fat I look!

and jdad1....of course you do not think its rude...you will NEVER be in the position to get ask a question like that ever....men....why is a man even replying to this???? men have NO Idea....
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Once I had a cashier ask me "are you pregnant or just fat" Thank God I was 9 months pregnant at the time but I was shocked at her comment!

Now thats rude!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think I would just say, in a rather sarcastic way... Nope-- I'm just fat! LOL! (I'm sure they were cringing!)
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned you NEVER EVER ask a woman if she's pregnant, end of story no matter what.

THIS!!! WTF is wrong with people! Geez!!