• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no gym- i dont waste money on a gym
    i do it at home a nd you tube exercise videos
  • willowfowler
    willowfowler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm assuming that living in Australia makes a considerable difference to the cost of gym memberships. I pay $22 AD per week and I had a $190 joining fee. There are probably cheaper gyms in Sydney but I love my gym and wouldn't change. Paying $22 per week certainly motivates you to get there more often.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    In Philly I go to Sweat Fitness. Plenty of locations in the city. The one close to my office has a pool. No nonsense place that is definitely not a meet market (or a meat market) but a place people go dressed to work out and take their workouts seriously. Just a few meatheads who think the "please be considerate of our neighbors and don't drop the weights" doesn't apply to them. DOH!

If you have an annual commitment it's $50 a month. I pay extra to have a locker I can leave things in all the time.

I just swim and do the recumbent bike now. But when hockey season is over I'm going to work with a personal trainer there who is also a physical therapist and can help me figure out a program with weights that accommodates for my physical challenges (arthritis in my left thumb and a crushed disk that limits my strength in my right hand and arm).
  • mjm9003
    mjm9003 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Campus rec membership at a Big Ten school. One of the facilities is down the street from my office so I can go before/after work or at lunch depending on my schedule. Best rates in town and good facilities.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness. its close to home and has the things I wanted. However...there are a couple of other gyms that opened not too far away that are cheaper. So I may change.
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I go to California Family Fitness. It is only located in the Sacramento area and the corporate office is local. THE employees are great they know you by name and I enjoy it. My kids love it as well. They have activities for kids and of course my facvorite activity is called Parents night out. You drop your kids off at 6 pm and come back and pick them up at 10 pm.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I use an independent Gym that is in half of a Second World War Aircraft Hangar, plenty of space and up to date equipment.

http://tfd-grove.co.uk/

Andy
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Ladies of America. I like it, it's not too crowded.
    Only drawback is they don't have as much weight lifting equipment as i'd like so I have to make substitutions.
    I wish I had room to work out at home again,
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    While I'm trying to get my web development firm off the ground, I love my local Planet Fitness for $10/month. But when I've got a little more padding, I intend to go back to my local Y. It's much cleaner and well-lit, it has a pool and a zillion fun classes, and it has a sauna, which I loved.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym - I also walk the park and do home workout video's.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The basement. As a matter of fact, my bedroom door opens to the gym. Take two steps and I'm standing on gym mat. :laugh:
  • Iwillblossom
    Iwillblossom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fitness 19 which I love it's only $10 a month.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'll start, local YMCA. Awesome gym and really good rates for families.

Not pretentious, everyone is serious about lifting with few douches.

YMCA for lifting. There's a few peacocks, and sometimes it gets busy, but it's economical and decent. I also go to a boxing gym. There are four pros boxing out of that gym that I know of, that place is business, but friendly.

I really like that one actually, lot of guys willing to help, super supportive, and practical for worldly affairs. They also have some neat things like a sledge and tire, the ropes of doom, and some kettleballs.

Luckily, since I'm not in some whiny urban area, there aren't any of those silly, "Don't sweat loudly" or "Don't drop anything heavier than a magazine" signs. I'd bail if that bs showed up.
  • jmgfp
    jmgfp Posts: 3
    Options
    L A Fitness and our Bowflex.
  • Itsnic
    Itsnic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness..I love it! I also alternate with using a couple of the Kinect fitness games, The Biggest Loser and Fitness Evolved. I am doing the 12 week program on TBL and the 4 week muffintop blaster on FE...it works out pretty good because I ALWAYS have sore muscles and can really tell that I am hitting every muscle in my body at some point throughout the week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I use Planet Fitness..I love it! I also alternate with using a couple of the Kinect fitness games, The Biggest Loser and Fitness Evolved. I am doing the 12 week program on TBL and the 4 week muffintop blaster on FE...it works out pretty good because I ALWAYS have sore muscles and can really tell that I am hitting every muscle in my body at some point throughout the week.

How do you like those Kinect games?
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    YMCA here too, I go either mid morning or at 8pm otherwise it's a douche-fest.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A local place. The YMCA here was ok, but farther and the babysitting area sucked.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have hyperacusis which makes gym noise unbearable. I just do it at home. I would love to get into a regular gym though. I doubt I will ever be able to.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    1.) My neighborhood (road or trail running)
    2.) My den or living room (homemade WOD's or those posted by friends--strength training with body weight or DB's, yoga, stretching/foam roller/recovery)
    3.) Neighborhood HS track (more running)
    4.) Any number of parks or trails that I've pre-registered to run races at (more running)
    5.) Bally Total Fitness (for classes: Step, Spin, Sculpt (strength training), Boot Camp (cardio/body weight strength training), Yoga, Pilates, etc... and the occasional times when I can't rough it outside and I play hamster on the treadmill! Access to trainers. Heavy lifting!)