Texting is NOT ENOUGH, Pick Up the Damned Phone!!

Options
sugarandspice27
sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
I'm 31, been off the market for many years and now just recently back on and the degraded state of dating is really disappointing, to the point I really don't even want to do it at all. Since when is solely texting an acceptable means of communication? Whatever happened to the good old days when a man actually picked up a phone and asked a girl on a date? Now it just seems like a never ending cycle of texting. And what happened to dating? It seems like men don't ask women on legit dates anymore. And why does the conversation turn to sexual innuendo so quickly? Is this what we've become reduced to as a society? I feel like finding an attractive, responsible, respectful man, interested in getting to know my mind and willing to take me out on a real date is like trying to find a purple unicorn.

I understand that women are expected to do things like call the guy first and ask him out but I really don't like the tone that sets for the relationship. Call me old fashioned, but I appreciate traditional gender roles in which the man COURTS the woman. Courtship seems dead. Now it's, meet, text, hook up. WTF is that mess? Yeah, I guess I'm jaded with the new man-child I see around me. Are all the good ones snatched up by their 30s?

EDIT: Let me clarify: I LIKE texting! I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But if that's the ONLY way we communicate, I have a problem with this. And when I said, Pick up the phone, it could be for 5 minutes, just to say "Hi, how was your day? Want to grab a drink?". I mean, is this absurd?

Replies

• nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It does seem like it can be harder to find that special someone these days. I think that's why so many people have turned to online dating sites. One of my brothers met his wife that way and they are very happy :smile:
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I know, it seems guys don't want to go on a date unless they are really expecting to get some. That's just ridiculous.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I'd rather a text, guess i'm strange like that. It annoys me when my phone rings, unless it's someone I agreed to talk to.
  • Penny427
    Penny427 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd rather a text, guess i'm strange like that. It annoys me when my phone rings, unless it's someone I agreed to talk to.

Agreed, I hate talking on the phone and theres always an awkward silence lol
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    wht up?
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My bet is that isn't the texting problem that's preventing you from finding "a man."
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Has this ever happened to you?
    xinVww8l.jpg
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If I've got your number 8/10 times I'm gonna text instead of call....I hate talking on the phone.....and lots of times you can text when you are not able to call. (work, etc)
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    technology changes things....

i mean if you REALLY wanted to go back to the way things were, then he can either ask your parents if it's ok if he takes you out on a date ....or even further back...he can write your dad a letter asking for permission to take you out...

i mean really....times change....

it is what it is.

what about texting cancels out their sincerity and desire to spend time with you? what about a phone call makes it more real or more verifiable for you?

jus curious.

I prefer texting personally but that's me
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Agreed, I hate talking on the phone and theres always an awkward silence lol

same. The boy and I have RARELY ever talked on the phone. We text frequently. In person however we RARELY ever shut up.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the "Call me maybe" jokes. C'mon people!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If I've got your number 8/10 times I'm gonna text instead of call....I hate talking on the phone.....and lots of times you can text when you are not able to call. (work, etc)

NOT TRUE!! He never txt or calls!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I prefer texts.

I HATE talking on the phone.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Waiting for the "Call me maybe" jokes. C'mon people!

I just met you.....and this is crazy
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

NOT TRUE!! He never txt or calls!

I don't have your number.....Don't act like it's my fault.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Get a house phone?
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    Get a house phone?

What are we, in the 70's??
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I actually get ticked when people call me that aren't in my immediate family.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    . Call me old fashioned, but I appreciate traditional gender roles in which the man COURTS the woman. Courtship seems dead. Now it's, meet, text, hook up. WTF is that mess?

Just like everything else, things change!!

Hmm, how far does this 'old fashioned/traditional' role go...are you going to give up your career to stay at home, cook, clean for your man, have his dinner ready when he gets home?

I hear alot of women wanting to be wooed and courted in the 'old fashioned' way but then get all modern and feminist when it comes to the other traditional roles.

Wake up, we're not little women that need to be kept and protected, we have fought for equality on so many levels...but you want to go back there? Not me, no thanks!!
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I actually get ticked when people call me that aren't in my immediate family.

Is that why you don't answer?
    I'll stop.