A doc told me something no one else has....

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Doctors aren't nutritionists.

Nitpick: nutritionists are pretty much worthless. It's not a regulated term. Nutritionist is the food equivalent of "personal trainer."

Dietitians, on the other hand, actually have to get a degree and be certified. They're the people who work with hospitals and doctors etc.

not correct. for example in NYC you can't use the word "nutritionist" unless you're licensed by the state, which has incredibly stringent qualifications.

next.

That's to use the word "Certified Nutritionist."

The term "nutritionist" is unregulated. As a New York State resident, I can practice as a "nutritionist" with no problem, despite having no formal education in the practice and having taken no qualifying exams.

and your ticker. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You're a ilttle too preoccupied with my, uh... "ticker :wink:"

I do not appreciate your sexual advances, and would appreciate it if you kept such lewd comments to yourself in the future. No means no.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I definitely know what my hunger feels like when I'm hungry. It is PAINFUL. And I feel it in the back of my throat, not so much in my stomach. But I also know that if I ignore that hunger pain, eventually my body will sort of give up, and it will go away. Like no food is forthcoming, I guess I'll just thug it out. But while it's protesting, you bet it's painful. Painful enough to distract me from my work. And despite the fact that it does eventually go away if I can't feed it - that doesn't mean I don't need to eat. And it's also worse than being fat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You're a ilttle too preoccupied with my, uh... "ticker :wink:"

I do not appreciate your sexual advances, and would appreciate it if you kept such lewd comments to yourself in the future. No means no.

but your beard is so dreamy........... :love:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Low carb can work with people who have dramatic spikes in insulin levels. Lowering carbohydrate can assist with that and decrease hunger. Calories do matter, so monitoring those is important too. There's nothing wrong with low carb - it's not 'no carb' it's 'low carb'. I get tired of people claiming a low carb diet cuts out all carbs. It's funny how people get so defensive over a macro nutrient that is not technically required by our bodies.

Low carb is one approach that might work for the OP, and there's nothing wrong with suggesting it just as there's nothing wrong with suggesting a IIFYM approach.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry.....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Low carb can work with people who have dramatic spikes in insulin levels. Lowering carbohydrate can assist with that and decrease hunger. Calories do matter, so monitoring those is important too. There's nothing wrong with low carb - it's not 'no carb' it's 'low carb'. I get tired of people claiming a low carb diet cuts out all carbs. It's funny how people get so defensive over a macro nutrient that is not technically required by our bodies.

Low carb is one approach that might work for the OP, and there's nothing wrong with suggesting it just as there's nothing wrong with suggesting a IIFYM approach.

The problem with low carb for the vast majority of people is that it doesn't actually address the problem.

Low carb doesn't really offer many, if any, benefits over more traditional and sensible methods. And the kicker is that pretty much no one is going to do "low carb" forever. So being on no carb to lose weight doesn't actually teach you to make healthy choices in the future.

So when you realize your long term goal isn't immediate weight loss, low carb makes less sense. Your long term goal is to learn to make good choices within the confines of a normal, sustainable diet. That's what IIFYM is all about. Eat whatever food you want - that can be nothing but organic whole foods, if that's what matters to you - as long as you fit it into your calorie and macro goals.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Nope. I'm good. Biased unscientific results based on individual results in a small sample set is all anyone should need really.

Whilst I agree with you in many ways sometimes these discussions miss the wood for the trees.

There are no metabolic ward studies that show increased fat loss with LC in comparison to HC where calories & protein were held constant (although there are metabolic ward studies showing increased weight loss - Rabast / Stimpson spring to mind.)

There are peer reviewed studies which show increased fat loss with LC (the Wat study IIRC) but this has limitations.

I think the point is that we, the free living, do not have access to metabolic wards when conducting our fat loss journey. We don't have a team of researchers measuring and providing our food. We do not have therapists to counsel us along the way.

Usually we just have ourselves and so N=1 is the most important sample size we can have.

I think science should free us to be able to experiment in real world conditions. Low carb may work for some, in fact it may well be necessary. For others it is not necessary at all. I don't think people should be afraid to experiment or stick to what works for them simply because there is currently no RCT to support it as long as they are staying safe or not being ripped off etc...

Of course there is weight loss.......glycogen.....when you cut out carbs.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

protein spikes insulin as much if not more than carbs. I am not sure what your statement is saying exactly.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

protein spikes insulin as much if not more than carbs. I am not sure what your statement is saying exactly.

this is not true.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't agree.. You shouldn't be hungry.. If you're hungry you're not giving your body enoguh fuel.. I've never been hungry since day one. No matter how many calories i've eaten any particular day i've never been hungry. Hunger denotes denying yourself nutrients your body need to properly function.

What I would agree with is you crave food and deny it yourself you can feel *fake* hunger. Your body craves fat if it's used to getting it daily and you stop feeding it fat. This can be alleivated by eating something else and will stop rather quickly.

This is why diets don't work. Who wants to go through life being hungry all the time. I feel sorry for everyone around me when i'm hungry..
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I was hungry for a few days. A year seems like an excessive amount of time. Your body doesn't "reset." If my doctor used a word like that, I would make her tell me what changes she was talking about.

Eating more protein, and much lower carbs, helped a lot with that hunger problem.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The problem with low carb for the vast majority of people is that it doesn't actually address the problem.

Low carb doesn't really offer many, if any, benefits over more traditional and sensible methods. And the kicker is that pretty much no one is going to do "low carb" forever. So being on no carb to lose weight doesn't actually teach you to make healthy choices in the future.

So when you realize your long term goal isn't immediate weight loss, low carb makes less sense. Your long term goal is to learn to make good choices within the confines of a normal, sustainable diet. That's what IIFYM is all about. Eat whatever food you want - that can be nothing but organic whole foods, if that's what matters to you - as long as you fit it into your calorie and macro goals.

just to clarify IIFYM:

Dr. Layne Norton: Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to define WHEN it's 'OK' to feel hungry. Such as up to an hour before your next scheduled meal - as it means your body has efficiently burned the fuel you gave it last meal and is now ready for more. If you are genuinely hungry an hour after eating then you need to look at what you eat and how much. This is a lesson that I have only just learned - you CAN feel hungry while cooking your evening meal and you don't have to eat whilst doing it!

x

I totally agree with this, and I try to tell my children the same thing. If they are "hungry" within an hour of dinner, I offer them carrots or other veggies. If they don't want them, then I say, "It's okay to be hungry." I don't think many parents or adults give this message. I know I never heard it as a kid.
  • jonnythan
    Options

just to clarify IIFYM:

Dr. Layne Norton: Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake.

That's a great quote.

According to Layne Norton, if you're hitting your protein, carb, fat, and fiber goals for the day then you are by definition eating a lot of 'clean' foods.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Of course there is weight loss.......glycogen.....when you cut out carbs.

But also fat loss:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17566894

I'm not saying that LC is a superior approach and I don't take one study in isolation to be indicative of well, anything. However, I don't think I will be dismissing LC as a valid or even useful approach in some instances depending on the individual's preferences or metabolic profile anytime soon.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to define WHEN it's 'OK' to feel hungry. Such as up to an hour before your next scheduled meal - as it means your body has efficiently burned the fuel you gave it last meal and is now ready for more. If you are genuinely hungry an hour after eating then you need to look at what you eat and how much. This is a lesson that I have only just learned - you CAN feel hungry while cooking your evening meal and you don't have to eat whilst doing it!

x

I totally agree with this, and I try to tell my children the same thing. If they are "hungry" within an hour of dinner, I offer them carrots or other veggies. If they don't want them, then I say, "It's okay to be hungry." I don't think many parents or adults give this message. I know I never heard it as a kid.

It's not okay with me to be hungry, and I'm at the low end of body fat percentages for women. I listen to my body, and eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full (not stuffed to the gills), and don't eat if I'm not hungry.

May I suggest that if they're hungry you offer something with protein? Veggies don't do anything for me when I'm hungry, but a small serving of cheese can keep me going for hours.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Protein most certainly does NOT spike insulin as much as carbohydrate does. It CAN produce an insulin response, for sure, but not like carbohydrate. You have to eat quite a bit of protein to experience an insulin spike.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

this is not true.

He's right - it's blood sugar levels that rise more dramatically with carbs rather than the insulin response per se.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

this is not true.

He's right - it's blood sugar levels that rise more dramatically with carbs rather than the insulin response per se.

and high blood sugar causes an insulin response.