The Fast Metabolism Diet

Options

Replies

• lizheartsjesse
    lizheartsjesse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am starting this diet, but I didn't spend any money on the book because it is available at the library and so I am just checking it out for free. I do think that weight loss comes down to exercise and calories - but I do think that what we eat on our 'diet' is important. Eating at 1200 calories a day that is unhealthy foods is not the same nutritionally as eating good foods to make up that 1200 calories. I know that with some research I can learn what foods are good,etc., but I see this book as a great research tool for me to use. I will not be doing the diet exactly as she outlines because I will still be sticking to 1200 calories a day, but I plan to do it eating foods that are super foods and following meal plans. I have lost weight just cutting calories so far, but I know I could eat better food with nutrients my body needs versus just caring about calories. You can watch videos about the diet from when she was on the Dr. Oz Show. The link is on the website.

The diet's website: http://www.fastmetabolismdiet.com/
    The diet on Dr. OZ: http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/overcome-your-metabolism-slump
  • pamgerdes
    pamgerdes Posts: 1
    Options
    I downloaded the book to my Nook. I have justed started reading it, and the plan sounds great. I've heard that it not only helps with weight loss/control but also does amazing things for your hair, skin and nails. Here's my problem: The meal schedules are very difficult to see on my Nook. Does anyone know of a place that the schedules can be viewed and/or copied. Afraid I may just have to purchase the paper book.
  • ccwicks
    ccwicks Posts: 39
    Options
    BUMP - to read and catch up on this thread later
  • 16plus
    16plus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered this from the library :-) Am willing to try to kickstart my diet and get me focused.
  • lizheartsjesse
    lizheartsjesse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started the diet last Monday and lost 8 pounds in the first week. I stuck to the plan fairly well, although I did have a few cheats such a s'more at our campfire over the weekend and I goofed a few times, for example I ate an apple during phase 3 before checking the list, since I could have it in Phase 1 I thought it was okay in Phase 3. I ate more this week than I normally do, but it was all healthy, quality foods. I totally think this works and still have 3 weeks to go. This week I plan to stick the plan 100% and will let you know. But honestly, I ate every 3 hours which is something I NEVER did before. When I read the book too I was so amazed at what she wrote because it just makes sense. There are some foods you have to give up completely, but honestly to lose 8 pounds in one week (and it is NOT water weight because I am consuming half my body weight in water!) was amazing and I don't miss those foods because now I am eating things that I normally overlook - I hadn't had a peace in years, it felt like a treat to eat it really. The summer is perfect for this diet because you can grill up the proteins and have cold foods on hand for each phase (fruits phase 1 and veggies phase 2). I hadn't had a cucumber as a snack in forever! And everything tastes good compared to diet bars and the other things I would normally snack on because it is REAL food. I have a family that can eat basically anything they want, so yes, sometimes I did have to eat different than them. For example, we had tacos on night. I couldn't eat the cheese or the shell, but all of the other toppings allowed me to make a yummy taco salad that I normally wouldn't have - I normally would have had two corn tacos or two soft shell tacos, but instead I got to have a HUGE salad with taco meat and the veggies. It was delicious :) Everyday I got on the scale and it would be anywhere from .5 to 2 pounds lost, but overall I lost 8 pounds and I think it would have probably been more like 10, but like I said, I cheated a little - but never felt deprived. I just wanted to have the s'more with the kids because it is an annual thing and I will have it again next year, so I made the decision to do it. I didn't feel deprived and therefore had it, it was more I just wanted to enjoy letting my kids make one for me as they did their dad and grandparents. I think her book is all about how you should eat everyday so that you can enjoy treats like s'mores occasionally - but you have to get your Metabolism fired up!
  • anndee93
    Options
    My sister gave me her copy of "The Fast Metabolism Diet", (she saw it on Dr. Oz) and it is EXCELLENT. I'm only sticking to it about 70% and still losing 2 lbs a week (the same rate that I lost on Weight Watchers, depriving and starving myself, and eating their tasteless frozen garbage.) I have not even begun the exercise routine yet. I have enjoyed many meals out as well as cake and ice cream for special occasions. The key is to avoid the foods that slow down your metabolism, and/or trigger the estrogen->adreanaline->cortisol chain that tells our bodies to store fat. Eat as much as you want of foods that relax your adrenal system rather than stress it out, and that tells your body it's OK to burn new calories as well as stored fat.

If you're eating the right kinds of foods, the more you need to lose, the more you get to eat! It is unreal. I am always full, NEVER feel deprived. Find it easy to manage restaurants and parties, and still lose 2 lbs. a week (instead of 5 lbs./week ) I am a very picky eater, can't stand many vegetables,fish, etc... and so is my daughter (17), and we have managed to find foods and recipes that we love. She is cooking up a storm of recipes from the book. Delicious, satisfying, luxurious meals. And she is not believing the scale because she is losing 5 lbs at a time. I think we've finally found the right solution for us both! TRY IT! Just find the foods you like, and follow the phases in general. i don't even pay attention to WHICH foods are in WHICH phase, just the general balance.

We can't afford all the organic food recommended, but have added some key items to substitute some staples we used to eat frequently that are now to be avoided, e.g. almond butter instead of peanut butter, etc. I still have my coffee with dairy milk in it, and a diet Coke or iced tea when eating out, a Greek yogurt or lowfat cottage cheese when I'm feeling the need to balance out the meat-based proteins in Phase 2, or if I'm on the road and need to pack something easy to manage during travel. Haven't had any alcohol yet, but my sister still drinks her evening wine and she's still losing. It's fascinating. Try it.

P.S. Ezekiel bread tastes like cardboard. Spelt bread (Rudi's organic) is delicious. Has an aftertaste similar to raisin bread. To replace butter/margarine, try earth balance buttery spread-soy free. and to thin out a smoothie, or make oatmeal, I use almond milk. Add a little olive oil to the pan for oatmeal. gives it a little more flavor, and keeps the pan from getting really messy. It is a very sustainable way of eating for life. Good luck! It's great. :smile:
  • ldy_lamia
    Options
    The part where your husband lost 25lbs by cutting out soda, so hit home. LOL. My husband drops weight so easily, I eat same as him only drink water plus I go to the gym in the mornings and he doesn't, yet he still loses 3lbs to my 1lb. It is so frustrating. I'm hitting my late 30's so I know it will only get harder from here. Good luck with the book, I really wish you success!!!!
  • anndee93
    Options
    NOT TRUE IN THIS CASE. It's about eating the RIGHT KIND of foods at the right time to work naturally with our bodies and hormones as they are naturally designed to work. It is a totally sustainable way of eating and living for life. I've been following it at about 70% for a month, and I'm steadily losing 2 lbs a week while feeling full, enjoying my food and tossing together new recipes from what's in the cupboard. Even been going to restaurants and enjoying cake and ice cream at a couple of birthday parties. No deprivation, no disgusting, pre-packaged food, no "what happens when you reach your goal and go off the plan?" Because you don't go off the plan. It's a new way of living. And I am a very picky eater, preferring to throw something simple together quickly.

Simply find the foods in the plan that work with your tastes and your budget, and just make them staples in your home. I'm horrible at diets, cooking, and planning, and this is fabulous. I find that when I eat some Spelt toast as an evening snack, I lose weight overnight. It is absolutely amazing. Simply aligning food with the way our bodies are designed to work. The meat industry has been doing this for decades with cattle, and other animals. Why aren't we doing it as humans?

The title was probably a forced concoction of the publisher to create hype and sales.
  • anndee93
    Options
    It's estrogen. Which triggers adrenaline, which triggers cortisol, which tells the body to store fat because times are stressful. Try the fast metabolism diet. It aligns the foods we eat with the way our organs and hormones work to relax the adrenal glands and end the sense of crisis that makes the body store fat. It's working great for everybody I know who has tried it. I do it at about 70% and lose 2 lbs. a week. it's delicious and so filling!
  • anndee93
    Options
    AND MY HOT FLASHES HAVE STOPPED!! (after 3 years of torture) Perhaps the most positive effect of The Fast Metabolism Diet. They stopped within a week. But they come back if I go off plan too much, so that's my trigger as to what "cheats" are manageable, and which are definitely out of line.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I bought the book after seeing the segment on Good Morning America and I'm alsmost done with the book. The author explains how your metabolism and hormones work and how you can destroy your metabolism over time with all the different types of diets you may have tried over your lifetime. The theory behind her food plan is to cross train your body with food, like you would use exercise to cross train your body. It is meant to reset your metabolism and in the process you will lose weight. Once you have completed the 28 days your metabolism is repaired. Now when Thanksgiving and Christmas come around you can enjoy yourself and your body will burn the calories instead of hold onto every single thing you put into your body. I'm willing to give this a try for 28 days as I know I've done major damage to my metabolism. I'm currently exercising every day and eating 1500 - 1600 calories and I've not lost anything, but a few inches, while my husband has lost 25 pounds by eliminating soda!

I would rather spend $13.00 on a book that can educate me on nutritional information than on any magic diet pill.

So please don't respond if you want to tell me that I'm wasting my time or money. I have learned a lot of things I never knew about my body chemistry. Our weight loss journeys are all about educating ourselves and some trial and error. We are all different and what works for one person, may not work for another. That's why I love this site because you can learn so much from what has and has not worked for people in their weight loss journey.

By the way, I'm 46 years old and I lost 50 pounds 12 years ago, but what worked for me then is not working for me now. You all look young and probably haven't done the damage that I've done to my body over the years :noway: .

I would like to know how it goes! FR on the way! I lost 30 pounds on Atkins and have never been successful since! Of course, I gained it all back! I screwed up my thyroid and my metabolism!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Whether the diet will help you lose weight or not, I'm not sure. Depends how many calories you need and how many you eat.

I would say anything in the book about speeding up, confusing, damaging, or otherwise engineering your metabolism is likely complete BS. Don't spend your time and energy worrying about how fast/slow your metabolism is. Work within what you have and create a calorie deficit if you are looking to lose weight.
  • lisahoelzerhughes
    Options
    I have tried Weight Watchers and myfitnesspal with no luck. On June 3, I started a diet called The Omni Diet. I lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks. I was thrilled but then I Plateaued. I didn't loose anything for the next three weeks. That is when I saw The Fast Metabolism Diet on Dr. Oz. I checked the book out from my local library, read the book, shopped and prepared, then started the diet. I am back to loosing a pound a day and I have so much energy. The Omni Diet was a great way for me to start. It is a way of eating for the rest of my life. Actually, it is very similar to FMD phase 3. But the FMD is a wonderful way to keep your self in check. Once you have lost the weight you want, just use the FMD when you are feeling like you got off track such as after Christmas or Thanksgiving. Do the whole 28 days or just do a one week cycle. I am so happy I found these two diets. They have changed my life.
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bought the book after seeing the segment on Good Morning America and I'm alsmost done with the book. The author explains how your metabolism and hormones work and how you can destroy your metabolism over time with all the different types of diets you may have tried over your lifetime. The theory behind her food plan is to cross train your body with food, like you would use exercise to cross train your body. It is meant to reset your metabolism and in the process you will lose weight. Once you have completed the 28 days your metabolism is repaired. Now when Thanksgiving and Christmas come around you can enjoy yourself and your body will burn the calories instead of hold onto every single thing you put into your body. I'm willing to give this a try for 28 days as I know I've done major damage to my metabolism. I'm currently exercising every day and eating 1500 - 1600 calories and I've not lost anything, but a few inches, while my husband has lost 25 pounds by eliminating soda!

I would rather spend $13.00 on a book that can educate me on nutritional information than on any magic diet pill.

So please don't respond if you want to tell me that I'm wasting my time or money. I have learned a lot of things I never knew about my body chemistry. Our weight loss journeys are all about educating ourselves and some trial and error. We are all different and what works for one person, may not work for another. That's why I love this site because you can learn so much from what has and has not worked for people in their weight loss journey.

By the way, I'm 46 years old and I lost 50 pounds 12 years ago, but what worked for me then is not working for me now. You all look young and probably haven't done the damage that I've done to my body over the years :noway: .

i support you on this! i would also like to know your results after the 28 days....
    Im only 23 years old and i KNOW ive damaged my metabolism to hell and back. i would do anything to reset it.
    i lost 20 pounds and stalled. ive been eating super healthy and exercising like a maniac and nothing.
    meanwhile, my sister just logs her food and eats one slice of pizza less and she drops 10 pounds. so i totally feel you!
    keep up the good work and dont let others deter you from doing whats healthy and right :-)
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Phase I - Fruits, complex carbs, exercise
    phase ii - Add more veggies and protein and exercise
    phase ii - Add more healthy fats and exercise.

Snacks should be fruits, veggies and protein.

A million posts on MFP have said if you eat smarter and healthier and move more you will loss weight ... and that information doesn't cost anything.

And based on the FAQ on the website... the diet requires you to completely cut out alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and wheat. Completely unsustainable in the long run.
  • farleybean
    Options
    The book sort of debunks the calorie in v calorie out myth. Creating a calorie deficit (for those of us who are professional dieters) backfires by slowing things down. I eat 1200 calories /day (no sugar, low carb) and run 4-5 miles daily. I have about 60 lbs to lose, yet I've gained weight steadily. The author helped me understand that this deficit sends the signal that the body is in famine and it slows your metabolism to keep you alive. The truth is, if anyone knew what "worked" we'd all be the same size. We're engineered differently, and our bodies are built to survive. i think mine must be terribly efficient to let me survive...and gain weight...when i was feeding it so little! I'm disciplined and healthy, but put on weight like nobody's business!
  • gassisda
    Options
    I NEED HELP!!
    I started the fast metabolism diet because I was trying to loose 20 lbs. The first 2 weeks I lost 7 lbs so I was very excited about it. At the end of week 3 I had gained 1 lbs and I wanted to cry since I followed the diet religiously... and now on week 4 phase 3 I gained 2 more lbs... I don't know what happened? I know I did everything I was suppose to do... I Exercise 3-4 x a week like you are suppose to... I use to work out 5 times a week before so I had to cut back which was hard for me at first... did this happen to anyone else? Should I continue with the diet and just go back to working out like I used to?
    THank you!
  • adamcooke
    Options
    Anything labelled 'The (insert faddy name here) Diet' is going to be a gimmick.

Agreed !
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Phase I - Fruits, complex carbs, exercise
    phase ii - Add more veggies and protein and exercise
    phase ii - Add more healthy fats and exercise.

PHASE 1 - COLLECT UNDERPANTS
    PHASE 2 - ?
    PHASE 3 - PROFIT!