The Fast Metabolism Diet

Options

Replies

• AbbeyTranquility
    Options
    I have spent the last 20 years yo you "dieting" and have now become overloaded with do's and dont's. I am at the point where my body sits on a constant plateau regardless of my training and eating. I have always been a hormonal wreck and at my wit's end decided to read this book as my last resort. Unbelievable is all I can say. In 4 days i have managed to drop 900grams. My bloating is gone, my skin is clearing and i feel fantastic. I am only on my 5th day but i am willing to put in another 23 just to see the final result. I am very impressed and i feel that this is not a diet, as there are no restrictions throughout the week, only structure. To those opposing the book, give it a go and come back in 4 weeks with your results. I don't think this is a scam to sell books at all.
  • Mstwife
    Mstwife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been following this plan for 2 complete weeks and I am down 6.5 pounds and I've lost an inch and a half from around my middle...I KNOW for a fact that my weight loss will slow down but I have to tell you...I feel really good and I can actually see a difference in my body. I'll be continuing this plan for the entire 28 days to see what happens but so far...its all good.

Good luck!
  • Maliboomermaid
    Maliboomermaid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, if you are concerned about a deficit, the FMD calorie ranges (I plugged my FMD meals into MFP out of curiosity) can range from 600 to maybe 1200, perhaps more if you chose fattier cuts of meat and eat lots of sweet potatoes and winter squashes, which are considered unlimited. Despit the low calorie counts, you are eating REAL foods that are not processed, so you are getting more staying power and I am rarely hungry. (I do add in some fats on days I'm not supposed to as I think eating so few calories is unhealthy)
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that one, but I have tried a few others and read up on several more.

The bottom line always comes down to this:

1) reasonable, healthy calorie intake
    2) reasonable, healthy balanced diet
    3) exercise

It's no secret, there's no miracle plan. Meal plans/ideas can be great for some, but it still comes back to those 3 points.

I fully agree!! Lifting up heavy weights will increase your metabolism and the key is just to fuel your body with the right amount of calories and whole foods
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Is anyone interested in a group staring on 11/3?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I bought the book after seeing the segment on Good Morning America and I'm alsmost done with the book. The author explains how your metabolism and hormones work and how you can destroy your metabolism over time with all the different types of diets you may have tried over your lifetime. The theory behind her food plan is to cross train your body with food, like you would use exercise to cross train your body. It is meant to reset your metabolism and in the process you will lose weight. Once you have completed the 28 days your metabolism is repaired. Now when Thanksgiving and Christmas come around you can enjoy yourself and your body will burn the calories instead of hold onto every single thing you put into your body. I'm willing to give this a try for 28 days as I know I've done major damage to my metabolism. I'm currently exercising every day and eating 1500 - 1600 calories and I've not lost anything, but a few inches, while my husband has lost 25 pounds by eliminating soda!

I would rather spend $13.00 on a book that can educate me on nutritional information than on any magic diet pill.

So please don't respond if you want to tell me that I'm wasting my time or money. I have learned a lot of things I never knew about my body chemistry. Our weight loss journeys are all about educating ourselves and some trial and error. We are all different and what works for one person, may not work for another. That's why I love this site because you can learn so much from what has and has not worked for people in their weight loss journey.

By the way, I'm 46 years old and I lost 50 pounds 12 years ago, but what worked for me then is not working for me now. You all look young and probably haven't done the damage that I've done to my body over the years :noway: .

So you can "undo" a lifetime of "damage" in only 28 days? Sounds fishy to me.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The book sort of debunks the calorie in v calorie out myth. Creating a calorie deficit (for those of us who are professional dieters) backfires by slowing things down. I eat 1200 calories /day (no sugar, low carb) and run 4-5 miles daily. I have about 60 lbs to lose, yet I've gained weight steadily. The author helped me understand that this deficit sends the signal that the body is in famine and it slows your metabolism to keep you alive.

Your body can't magically add mass to itself out of thin air unless you are consuming more energy than you are using. It also can't decide to stop using its stored energy if you are consuming less than you are using and pull it from thin air to stay alive. No matter what the author says or how appealing it sounds. Though that would be cool.

The starvation/ famine mode theory always makes me wonder why no one asks about people who actually are starving and in famine since they don't seem to experience mysterious weight gains and/or super slow weight loss. It only seems to happen to people living in places with easy /cheap access to food.
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like you said, what works for one may not work for another. Whatever works for you is great and probably the book puts you on track for good healthy meals, and it sounds like this is what the plan is. It is like smoking, some can do it cold turkey, some need help in one way or another.
  • pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, if you are concerned about a deficit, the FMD calorie ranges (I plugged my FMD meals into MFP out of curiosity) can range from 600 to maybe 1200, perhaps more if you chose fattier cuts of meat and eat lots of sweet potatoes and winter squashes, which are considered unlimited. Despit the low calorie counts, you are eating REAL foods that are not processed, so you are getting more staying power and I am rarely hungry. (I do add in some fats on days I'm not supposed to as I think eating so few calories is unhealthy)

Are you saying the WHOLE day is 600 to 1200 Calories or each meal?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Yeah you guys are right. I just need to focus on consistent healthy eating; I'm just in a rut with the same old dinners that aren't always low-fat or lower calorie.

i would like to sincerely commend you on your ability to ask a question, receive a few posts of solid advice, AGREE, and realize you just need to focus on what you're doing.

BRAVO!

clapping.gif

just realized this thread was necro'd. good times.
  • raquelott1
    raquelott1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of this diet, and I have lost 4.8lbs since Monday. Very excited about it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of this diet, and I have lost 4.8lbs since Monday. Very excited about it!
    It's water weight. Realize that if you really lost fat, you would have had to burn 16,800 calories in that 4 days. That's a burn of 4200 ON TO OF your TDEE. Do you realize how long one would have to work out to burn 4200 calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to resurrect year old threads.:noway:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Anything labelled 'The (insert faddy name here) Diet' is going to be a gimmick.

I walked into this thread thinking/was going to post the same exact thing. Get out of my head!
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was just watching Good Morning America and there was a blurb on The Fast Metabolism Diet. Has anyone heard of this? Tried this? Seen results!?

I'm interested in purchasing the book because it outlines meals to eat and it would take so much guess-work out of my weekly meal planning! I feel like I eat pretty healthy (except for the more than occasional treat) but I havent seen any consistent weight loss - so maybe this would be good for me?

Thanks! :)

Funny you should bring this up today. My sister, mom, and aunt are all doing this so I ordered the book. My sister likes it. She feels that the science behind the diet is sound and that it works for her. I ordered the book and I am thinking of trying it!
  • raquelott1
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to resurrect year old threads.:noway:

Because people were looking for threads on the Fast Metabolism Diet and didn't want to start a new one/repeat thread. That's why.
  • raquelott1
    Options
    It's water weight. Realize that if you really lost fat, you would have had to burn 16,800 calories in that 4 days. That's a burn of 4200 ON TO OF your TDEE. Do you realize how long one would have to work out to burn 4200 calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Hmm, thanks for the input, but I think you're wrong. I'm drinking over 100 oz of water everyday so it makes no sense to say I'm losing water weight... I am not dehydrated and I didn't quit salt/sodium. But I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Hmm, thanks for the input, but I think you're wrong. I'm drinking over 100 oz of water everyday so it makes no sense to say I'm losing water weight... I am not dehydrated and I didn't quit salt/sodium. But I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I don't think you understand water weight, and he's absolutely right about how many calories you would need to burn in order for that weight to be fat. You didn't lose nearly 5 lbs of fat since Monday.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love food and used to think I was sugar addict, just couldn't get enough, what I learned over the years is I wasn't eating right for my metabolism, what I've learned and what I am still working on is for my type of metabolism , which is balanced oxidizer, is I feel my best if I try to eat 40% of my calories from carbs, 30% from protein and 30% fat. I have to eat some protein to counteract when I eat a high carb food, with that balance I really do have more energy and my cravings are at bay and I feel satisfied. wonderful feeling.I have had a huge difference if my energy, food cravings, mood and hormone balance. I find a link with the exact info that helped me to learn this....great info!!! II had heard and read about it from Jillian Michales book Making the Cut. It will help answer some of those questions for you , take a look. / slow or fast oxiders require a different %'s of #'s than I what works for me, to learn what type you are , go to: http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/metabolic-types-eating