Avocado... What to do with it?

Options

Replies

• KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine raw or made into guac but I have been experimenting lately. Right now I have a homemade mexican style soup going where I diced some up and threw it in . I make avacado quesadillas where I throw tomatoes, avacados, lemon juice, salt, a bit of tofu into a processor and then fry it up into a tortilla.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Eat it straight out of the "shell". I used to hate it when I was a kid. I always thought my dad was crazy for loving it... maybe it's adult thing because it's the bomb! Of course is you make guac it's even better. But can't have guar with out tons of chips and salsa!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Endless possibilities...I can't imagine life without a daily avocado.

One of my favorite breakfasts is an avocado egg bowl: 1 whole avocado sliced in half, crack an egg into each hole and bake ;)

IMG_6951-587x438_zpsa6f166b2.jpg

Looks good, but I can't get passed the idea of
    a cooked/baked avocado.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    Mrs-Duh - can you please share your recipe for Avo-Ziki? sounds great - thanks:smile:
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Cut avocado in half, remove the pit, crack an egg into the pit hole and bake in oven until the egg is cooked how you like your eggs and then top with salsa before serving....yummy breakfast.

Yummy! I am so gonna try this!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I make guacamole with mine. Avacado with chopped raw onion, garlic, green chilli, some cottage cheese, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, blitz it up.... yum and very healthy
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I should add that, it was my first avocado. It may be an acquired taste, like with coffee, onions, shrimp, and many other foods.

Your FIRST avocado...I am sooo sorry.

I personally cut mine in half remove the pit add salsa or ranch and eat with a spoon. But I LOVE avocados. We even have a tree!
  • Kalere
    Kalere Posts: 19
    Options
    I actually use avocados in a sugar-free / wheat-free pie recipe of mine that's veryyy yummy. That's the only way I eat them :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Oh, what NOT to do with it???

Put it on pizza, sandwiches, make guacamole out of it,

use the guac as a dressing on salads,

crack an egg into a slightly hollowed-out avocado half, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake until egg is firm and eat it with
    buttered toast.

Wrap a chicken breast smothered in spicy guac in tin foil and bake.

Use mashed avocado in place of mayonnaise for deviled eggs, potato or macaroni salad.

The Brazilians do smoothies with them, blend with milk and just enough sugar to make it sweet. So delicious!
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anybody posted it yet but my whole family loves shrimp and avocado salad. Everybody I ever served it to also liked this salad. Here is goes:

One slightly firm (not too mushy) avocado cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
    1/2 lb shrimp cooked, peeled and roughly chopped,
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro, juice of two limes,
    1tbs extra virgin olive oil.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    I also add 1-2 cloves of minced garlic but it is not necessary.

Combine all ingredients and let stand for at lest 30 min in the fridge. You can add more or less lime juice depending on your taste. You can also use lemon juice in place of lime juice. Sometimes I add crab meat to it.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump!

haven't read the previous entries but I like my avocados ripe and I put them on:

salads
    sandwiches
    eat it for breakfast with eggs
    sprinkled with salt and lime and eat as guac YUMMMM
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    these aren't recipes, but these are good pictures to inspire you!

tumblr_mlqmp1IS1G1sp42wro1_250.jpg
    tumblr_mlh6ixUBAj1qhsu49o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mlq4uhE4Uz1sp42wro1_500.jpg
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    The smoothie idea sounds perfect! I'm always looking for creative ways to get the best smoothie texture and thickness. However, I love avocados raw, and they make great salad cups for lighter meals. Leave the skin on, cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and fill with your favorite salad!

Chicken Salad
    Seafood Salad
    Tuna Salad
    Asian Crunch Salad
    Seaweed Salad
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    my favorite salad dressing is made of 1/2 avocado, juice and zest of 2 lemons, 1/4 tsp sea salt and one roasted garlic clove. puree and pour over your salad :drinker: This also makes a great pasta sauce ! :happy:

@seawaters120...Thanks for the idea!! I'm so going to try this :bigsmile:

I make this: Chocolate Avocado Pudding
    1 Avocado, soft & ripe
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 Cup cocoa powder
    1/4 Cup maple syrup
    6 T. milk

Put all in the Blender & blend until smooth. Makes 2 servings. It's quick & easy & tastes great! :happy:

I love all the ideas...definitely will try in my smoothies. I love "experimenting" in my kitchen :devil:
  • kjb386
    kjb386 Posts: 1
    Options
    I put mine through a ricer (or you can just smoosh them up) mix with tuna and some lemon juice. Makes a good sandwich topped with a slice of tomatoe, a slice of onion and some salt and pepper.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating avocado sandwiches -- 1 slice of bread with a little butter, thin slices of avocado with salt and pepper - open face. I also love them in salads and in guacamole. I could sit and eat a half avocado out of it's shell with no problem - I love them!!
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    If you hate the texture so much use it with crunchy items to make a perfect soft and yet crunchy combo
    I prefer raw avocado but these are great and cooked avacado done right
    Avocado fries
    Serves:It would probably serve about 4 people for an appetizer
    Prep time: 30 minutes
    Cook time:25 minutes
    Total time: 55 minutes

Ingredients

2 ripe avocados
    1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon of paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    3/4 teaspoon of cumin
    2 egg whites
    1 tablespoon of water
    1 1/2 cups of seasoned panko breadcrumbs (panko is a must don't try and use regular breadcrumbs)
    Olive Oil Spray
    Directions

Preheat oven to 450 F.
    Line a baking sheet with foil
    Cut your avocado into slices and peel

In a medium sized bowl, place your flour, salt, pepper, garlic, 1/2 tsp paprika, cayenne and cumin and mix well
    In another medium bowl add your egg whites and water, whisk well.
    In another medium sized bowl, add your panko crumbs and 1/4 tsp paprika, and mix.

Place one slice in the flour, and make sure slice is completely coated.
    Then place your slice in the egg whites, make sure to coat completely.
    Lastly place your slice in the panko mixture and coat completely.
    Place your slice on the baking sheet, and continue the steps above until all slices are coated.and repeat until all the slices are coated
    Spray all your slices with olive oil cooking spray.
    Bake for 15 minutes, and then turn each slice over, and spray again with cooking spray
    Continue to bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
    Serve with sour cream if you would like!
    Salsa or even a light ranch
  • shaeni1221
    shaeni1221 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have been craving avocado all day, then I read this!! Can't wait to get home and eat!