Is it bad my daughter wants to shred?!?

Options

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My son went for walks with me when he was 3. We could walk for 6 miles easy and he ran in front of me the whole time. Now he is six and he is in excellent shape. Kids needs to move more. When I was a kid we all played outside all day long. We were less fat too.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

If your 6 yr old is worried about being fat it is your fault for not teaching her the difference.If your 6 yr old is fat it is your fault for not feeding her right and keeping her active. If your 6 yr old is eating healthy and exercising with mommy to lose fat or weight you fail AGAIN. If your 6 yr old is exercising and eating right with mommy and mommy explains why it is good to do this you are a winner. If you are doing the last sentence then discussing how horrible it is to be fat and the repercussions from it is very smart of you because you are arming her with knowledge to prevent it from ever being an issue for her.

I like this!
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old daughter joins in every day shes home when I do it. Then she told me today, while doing it that she'd lost weight. I stopped the video and told her clearly that she was a healthy size for her age, the reason I'm working so hard is because I am NOT in my healthy weight range yet. That and I want to feel stronger. I also explained you dont drop weight straight away hehe.

If shes just wanting to be with you and thinks its fun, let her, she needs to learn how to be healthy without obsessing. If you model obsession, she will take it up too. Plus a 6 yo attention span usually flits in and out of the workout. And they need to move more anyway. Relax momma.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is a very difficult and delicate balance, and it's an important reason for you to not crash diet and frenetically work out in order to lose weight; but to change your lifestyle to a healthy one permanently, one that is sustainable over time, and one you can feel safe to see your children follow.

Our children learn from us, and if mom starves herself to lose weight, then returns to a "normal" which causes her and everybody around her to gain, the children will adopt that unhealthy understanding of food. It took me years to get away from what I had learned about exercize and weight, to gain the understanding I needed to see how my body worked and what I could do about it. One of my sisters developed an eating disorder that ruined her metabolism despite her high physical activity level, another is still struggling, going through therapy in order to gain enough balance in her life to be able to balance her own health. Our mother knew a lot about food and health, but she never applied it to herself, and so we had no understanding about the connection between what we learned and the effects of it. It wasn't all bad though, I learned a lot about cooking healthily from scratch in my mother's kitchen, and it keeps saving me every day.

A six year old will mimic and soak up everything mommy says and does. It's a very good reason to stop talking a lot about your weight loss, and an exellent reason to not complain about your looks and your life. By being strong, active and positive, you can both lose weight AND be a good role model for your child. By talking positively about a healthy diet, about nourishment and the benefits of food, this is a good time to give her a basic understanding of why she should eat in a certain way. And this is the time to give her habits that can support her all through her life: healthy, positive, sustainable habits of physical activity and smart choices.

Good for you that your daughter wants to be like mommy and do what mommy does! Now go show her how a strong, smart woman lives!
  • Fivefeetjo
    Fivefeetjo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Then good for her! She enjoys exercise. As long as you keep an eye on her and make sure she's not having any eating disorder, she's fine.
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How about asking her Pediatrician?
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Encouraging exercise is great but no weights her bones and body are still developing maybe moves without weights or something completely new you can do together? I would definitely seek advice from a Dr or Health Visitor first just to make sure though.
  • nonsenseprevails
    Options
    OH OK!!! so the 30 day shred is not about dieting? How stupid of me.
    I guess thats why I asked.

30 day shred is about exercising.....what you consume is about dieting. Two totally separate things but when accompanied together properly will help you reach the best results possible. She just said her little girl wants to do what she is doing exercise wise. She is too young to correlate weight loss with eating and exercise so she needs to be taught that. Starting by allowing her to participate is a great first step to introduce health and nutrition to her. Plus she will be able to eat more if she likes it and exercises with mommy. The goal is to teach them it is okay to eat and that eating can lead to fat loss coupled with exercise. She is setting her daughter up to never have an ED. Very smart mommy!

I'm not so convinced by your arguments. I don't think it's a problem to let her 6 year old do 30DS, but I don't think she should being led to the idea of needing to exercise to lose fat. At six, she should understand you exercise because it's fun and because it's good for you. If she needs specifics about why it's good, I'd stick with things like it helps your muscles get strong, it helps you sleep better at night and it's good for your brain to make your blood move fast around your body by moving your body fast. I would strongly suggest leaving out all reference to exercise and fat loss at this age.

It is not an argument it is a statement. I am not trying to convince you of anything. My statement....
    "The goal is to teach them it is okay to eat and that eating can lead to fat loss coupled with exercise."
    is fact. Says nothing about the little girl being worried about being fat. If you choose to teach your children that you exercise because it is fun and helps your muscles get strong that is your choice. I think that leaving out the fact that it prevents you from being fat is just as important as the others. It is not okay to be fat and when ppl stop coddling children about it or hiding it from them we will be a much more healthier world. It is never too early to teach a child that fat is not okay and can lead to many health problems.

First, please take a moment to learn the definition of 'argument.' Second, your statement is not fact; it is an opinion. You do not have the authority to dictate to the OP or to anyone else what their goal is.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    OH OK!!! so the 30 day shred is not about dieting? How stupid of me.
    I guess thats why I asked.

30 day shred is about exercising.....what you consume is about dieting. Two totally separate things but when accompanied together properly will help you reach the best results possible. She just said her little girl wants to do what she is doing exercise wise. She is too young to correlate weight loss with eating and exercise so she needs to be taught that. Starting by allowing her to participate is a great first step to introduce health and nutrition to her. Plus she will be able to eat more if she likes it and exercises with mommy. The goal is to teach them it is okay to eat and that eating can lead to fat loss coupled with exercise. She is setting her daughter up to never have an ED. Very smart mommy!

I'm not so convinced by your arguments. I don't think it's a problem to let her 6 year old do 30DS, but I don't think she should being led to the idea of needing to exercise to lose fat. At six, she should understand you exercise because it's fun and because it's good for you. If she needs specifics about why it's good, I'd stick with things like it helps your muscles get strong, it helps you sleep better at night and it's good for your brain to make your blood move fast around your body by moving your body fast. I would strongly suggest leaving out all reference to exercise and fat loss at this age.

It is not an argument it is a statement. I am not trying to convince you of anything. My statement....
    "The goal is to teach them it is okay to eat and that eating can lead to fat loss coupled with exercise."
    is fact. Says nothing about the little girl being worried about being fat. If you choose to teach your children that you exercise because it is fun and helps your muscles get strong that is your choice. I think that leaving out the fact that it prevents you from being fat is just as important as the others. It is not okay to be fat and when ppl stop coddling children about it or hiding it from them we will be a much more healthier world. It is never too early to teach a child that fat is not okay and can lead to many health problems.

First, please take a moment to learn the definition of 'argument.' Second, your statement is not fact; it is an opinion. You do not have the authority to dictate to the OP or to anyone else what their goal is.

It is a statement I made it I should know lol I dont need to project authority to make a statement on here it is an open and public forum, if you take it that way that sounds like personal issues you need to deal with. I am not dictating anything nor have I told the OP what to do. The goal for healthy living is to teach our children good habits. It is a fact that when you teach a child proper eating habits and how to exercise and be active it lowers if not diminishes their chances of having health issues due to obesity in their adulthood. I have the right to make statements and express my opinions to whom I want when I want and if you dont like it then deal lol Do you have anything to contribute to the topic? I highly doubt it.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Growing up I would participate in workouts wiht y mom, she took me to the track with her to run, and I joined in on her Buns of Steel DVDs (this was pre-Shred). I think it set a great example for me early on. My mom made sure I knew exercise should be a priority. As long as you keep it focused on exercise and not weight loss, you will be fine. It doesn't hurt to start discussing healthy foods though! "Fresh fruit is a better choice than fruit snacks because there is less sugar..."
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I know lots of my friends children like to try and emulate their workouts. Just make sure it's supervised so she doesn't hurt herself.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Growing up I would participate in workouts wiht y mom, she took me to the track with her to run, and I joined in on her Buns of Steel DVDs (this was pre-Shred). I think it set a great example for me early on. My mom made sure I knew exercise should be a priority. As long as you keep it focused on exercise and not weight loss, you will be fine. It doesn't hurt to start discussing healthy foods though! "Fresh fruit is a better choice than fruit snacks because there is less sugar..."

Exactly, I often worry about what my 2 are eating at school because they do have options. 6 yrs old she will be eating mid day meals in school.Best time to teach here about making the best choices and the consequences for the bad ones.
  • nonsenseprevails
    Options

It is a statement I made it I should know lol I dont need to project authority to make a statement on here it is an open and public forum, if you take it that way that sounds like personal issues you need to deal with. I am not dictating anything nor have I told the OP what to do. The goal for healthy living is to teach our children good habits. It is a fact that when you teach a child proper eating habits and how to exercise and be active it lowers if not diminishes their chances of having health issues due to obesity in their adulthood. I have the right to make statements and express my opinions to whom I want when I want and if you dont like it then deal lol Do you have anything to contribute to the topic? I highly doubt it.

Thank you for admitting that you were expressing an opinion, not a fact as you stated in your previous comment. Please note that "lol" does not replace proper punctuation and that "lowers" and "diminishes" are synonyms. That being said, here is my contribution to the OP:

Here are some general guidelines for exercise for K-6 children that you may find helpful:

1) Children who participate in regular physical activity have a more healthy body composition, with lower levels of body fat compared to their inactive counterparts (Malina et al., 2004; Strong et al., 2005).

2) Physical activity and exercise training, particularly high-impact activities in which children bear their own weight, positively influence bone development (Strong et al., 2005) and may be instrumental in preventing or at least delaying osteoporosis later in life (Fisher 2009).

3) The American College of Sports Medicine (2004) recommends high-impact activities such as gymnastics, plyometrics, jumping, sports and games that involve running, and moderate resistance training for 10 to 20 minutes at least of three days per week for children and adolescents.

4) According to the National Association for Sport and Physical Education, sustained, high-intensity exercise is not considered age appropriate for children unless it is chosen by the child. Instead, children should be encouraged to engage in nonstructured active play and activities of an intermittent nature (2004).*

My personal opinion is that it is perfectly normal for your daughter to want to exercise with you. Not only does it look like fun to her, but it is a chance to spend time with you. My two daughters always wanted to do Tae Bo with me when they were very young (I didn’t let them only because we had a tiny living room area and I was afraid that I would accidentally kick them.) The likelihood of a 6-year-old sticking with an intense program like 30-Day Shred is extremely low, but it won’t hurt to let her try it or even just let her watch you and join in when she wants to. I definitely feel that it is important to focus on the health benefits of exercise and proper diet when it comes to kids; in most situations, weight loss does not need to enter the picture – that knowledge will come with age, experience, and age-appropriate education.

*Feel free to message me for sources if you would like to read any of the cited articles. :)
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Thank you for admitting that you were expressing an opinion, not a fact as you stated in your previous comment. Please note that "lol" does not replace proper punctuation and that "lowers" and "diminishes" are synonyms. That being said, here is my contribution to the OP:

Here are some general guidelines for exercise for K-6 children that you may find helpful:

1) Children who participate in regular physical activity have a more healthy body composition, with lower levels of body fat compared to their inactive counterparts (Malina et al., 2004; Strong et al., 2005).

2) Physical activity and exercise training, particularly high-impact activities in which children bear their own weight, positively influence bone development (Strong et al., 2005) and may be instrumental in preventing or at least delaying osteoporosis later in life (Fisher 2009).

3) The American College of Sports Medicine (2004) recommends high-impact activities such as gymnastics, plyometrics, jumping, sports and games that involve running, and moderate resistance training for 10 to 20 minutes at least of three days per week for children and adolescents.

4) According to the National Association for Sport and Physical Education, sustained, high-intensity exercise is not considered age appropriate for children unless it is chosen by the child. Instead, children should be encouraged to engage in nonstructured active play and activities of an intermittent nature (2004).*

My personal opinion is that it is perfectly normal for your daughter to want to exercise with you. Not only does it look like fun to her, but it is a chance to spend time with you. My two daughters always wanted to do Tae Bo with me when they were very young (I didn’t let them only because we had a tiny living room area and I was afraid that I would accidentally kick them.) The likelihood of a 6-year-old sticking with an intense program like 30-Day Shred is extremely low, but it won’t hurt to let her try it or even just let her watch you and join in when she wants to. I definitely feel that it is important to focus on the health benefits of exercise and proper diet when it comes to kids; in most situations, weight loss does not need to enter the picture – that knowledge will come with age, experience, and age-appropriate education.

*Feel free to message me for sources if you would like to read any of the cited articles. :)
    Thanks for contributing finally. Didnt read it all but skimmed through it and guess what!??!!? It pretty much says to teach your kid to exercise lol *walks off whistlin' dixie* Oh yeah great job on all that copy and pasting lol
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 skinny kids is absolute proof that telling a 6 year old not to get fat will not cause eating and body issues later. :yawn:

Happy for you that your kids are fit, active and healthy. Does not mean your methods are right.

The point is........my daughter knows that getting fat is bad. I taught her that early on. It neither scared her or gave her a complex. But then again my daughter like me doesnt beat around the bush and make excuses like most on here do. So yeah it is proof it works it worked for my 2 midgets. It certainly doesnt mean my method is wrong. Unless you have personal proof where a parent teaches a child proper health and exercise and it is followed and that kid is still fat I think you should probably stop getting offended and accept it for what it is...truth. You teach them to do the right thing and by following it you prevent future disaster. Plain and simple.

I'm not sure telling your children that being fat is "bad." Being fat isn't a "bad" thing.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old nephew does work out videos with me.. and he always wants to go running with me.. I only let him do videos in the house.. he never runs with me. I would just watch her and establish healthy habits. Just make sure it isn't a body image thing. I would say tell her 'Good job taking care of your body!'.. I don't know.. I am not a Mommie yet..
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old would "shred" with me frequently. She will ask me -- are we doing Jillian tonight?

Sometimes, she joins me for the whole thing-- sometimes, she only does a few minutes. :-)
    She's aware that I cut calories. while I would never put her on a "diet".... I certainly don't discourage any activity she's interested in.
    I just make sure she doesn't hurt herself!
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Yes, 2 skinny kids is absolute proof that telling a 6 year old not to get fat will not cause eating and body issues later. :yawn:

Happy for you that your kids are fit, active and healthy. Does not mean your methods are right.

The point is........my daughter knows that getting fat is bad. I taught her that early on. It neither scared her or gave her a complex. But then again my daughter like me doesnt beat around the bush and make excuses like most on here do. So yeah it is proof it works it worked for my 2 midgets. It certainly doesnt mean my method is wrong. Unless you have personal proof where a parent teaches a child proper health and exercise and it is followed and that kid is still fat I think you should probably stop getting offended and accept it for what it is...truth. You teach them to do the right thing and by following it you prevent future disaster. Plain and simple.

I'm not sure telling your children that being fat is "bad." Being fat isn't a "bad" thing.

No its really good to be fat thats why most of us are here to share how great and healthy it is to all be fat.......WTF!?!?! :laugh:
    PLZ tell me this is a half thought and your internet got cut off right after you accidentally hit enter?
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't get past the fact that you let your SIX year old get on YouTube. The hell???? :noway:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I still think that your six year old would laugh at the idea that you struggle with 30DS. Kids are a lot more energetic and resilient than we give them credit for. We've forgotten what it's like to be a kid and have that kind of energy. It only seems difficult to adults.