Is it bad my daughter wants to shred?!?

Options
123457»

Replies

• 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't get past the fact that you let your SIX year old get on YouTube. The hell???? :noway:

WTF!?!?!? 30 day shred is on YouTube? I thought it was something you had to buy and do at home lol
    *starts to run in circles pulling hair and yelling POOP POOP POOP!!!!*
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old likes to exercise with me as well. Somedays we do a two mile walk in our area, somedays when we stay in the subdivision She rides her bike while i walk around the neighborhood into and around each cul de sac, of course she circles me a couple of times on those days. We also do turbo jam together sometimes, wii just dance ( we have 5 different versions) She also does some wii bowling and baseball on her own, and lots of bike riding. Right now she is starting softball season. I've also been teaching her about portion sizes and how to portion out snacks etc.. buying more fruits. I explain to her that its not necessarily about weight loss but more about making healthier choices.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal for her to want to do what mommy is doing. My 4 year old loves to get out an exercise mat and her 1-pound weights and do "Miss Jillian" with me. She lasts the first 5 minutes or so and then she's over it. But I'm VERY careful about my wording around her. I never mention "fat", "lose weight", "lose this flabby belly" or the other things I might say to an adult---I'm even trying to cut that out too. I just tell her exercise is good for you and that's why mommy does it.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My 4 yr old thinks the dvd's are the most fun thing ever, she asks me all the time if we are going to "work out". no harm no foul as long as they are doing it because its fun and not because they have an underlying issue.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old loves to do it with me. It's just fun for her though and she gets a laugh out of if. She does not do it to lose weight
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    My 2 year old niece says hi tia, we exercising? Everytime I walk into the house. lol She's too cute! Of course I don't do 30d's with her, but we do a dance workout that she absolutely LOVES! My sister (her mom) and I do it 2-3x's a week and she always joins us. I know she's too young to understand what's going on, but the earlier we start showing them the better. I do agree with above posts that you should change your langauge at home so that your 6 year doesn't pick up certain things but guiding her towards a healthy lifestyle is nothing to be upset about :smile:
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You might want to change your language at home, saying that you need to get fit, rather than lose weight. That' what I do to prevent my kids getting unnecessary hang-ups from my attempts to be healthier. You can tell her also that she's welcome to do it (I'd say without weights) but that she gets fit from running around and playing outside, so she doesn't need to do a special routine the way mommy does.

I couldn't agree with you more! I've had to be more careful and not talk about how many calories are in things because my 6 year old was asking me how many calories she had left over for dinner. Yikes! So now I just talk about making healthier choices and if she wants to work out with me, I certainly will encourage her to, but make sure she doesn't get hurt. When she asks why I need to go to the gym I explain to her that I don't get to run and play like she does, that my job requires me to sit most of the day so I exercise at the gym and at home. Both my daughters love to do yoga with me, and they like to try to do chin-ups... I see nothing wrong with them wanting to exercise like Mom and Dad. :)