What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options
Nicole65
Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
Just trying to get more ideas for veggies and cooking styles, also interested in trying some new things that maybe I haven't heard of before. I think my fave are green beans, I just boil them ever so slightly because I love them crunchy- heck I even eat them raw.

Replies

• marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi mine are green beans carrots and cauliflower,I steam cook mine and season with salt and pepper,if I was not on a healthy eating plan ,I would put melted butter over them and as a special treat with my carrots honey just a little.My mouth is watering just thinking about my vegs yumey lol x
  • AztecKermit
    AztecKermit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love most vegetables, especially when they are homegrown.
    One of my favourite ways to cook them at the moment is to cook diced Swede/Turnip in the Act-Fry with some rosemary infused sunflower oil. Hardly any oil required and I usually add extra rosemary in to the mix as well.
    Melt in the mouth and full of flavour. :D
    Dry roasted onion with black pepper. :D
    Carrot and parsnip mash with chives. :D
    Going to stop there before the list becomes endless! x
  • kbmouth
    kbmouth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My new favorite veggie is brussell sprouts. I am 37 & I haven't eaten a brussell sprout in 30 years. My grandma cooked them for me and now I can't get enough. You buy them fresh, wash them, cut off the little stub on the end of them and then cut them in half. Some of the leaves will fall off but you will just throw them in the pan. You will need a skillet set on med to low heat. Add about 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Chop up 1 small onion and 4-6 cloves of fresh garlic. (either of those are optional but they give it amazing flavor) Sautee them all together for the first 20 minutes then cover and cook an extra 10-20 minutes or until soft. Enjoy!!
  • AztecKermit
    AztecKermit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Now sitting thinking about steamed green beans and brocolli. Yum. :D
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potatoe
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli in stir fries, but they still have to have a bite to them same with cauliflower and julienne carrots, hum I think I need to have a stir fry soon :)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Toss-up

Artichoke: Steam until leaves pull off, dip in lemon butter

Brussels Sprouts: Half and saute with a LITTLE olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper until crisp/brown on the outside. Yum

Asparagus: Simply steamed w/salt and pepper

Green beans: Snap the ends off and eat raw.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cauliflower - Wash, dry, break/cut into evenly sized florettes and toss in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt/pepper and a little chili powder or cayenne. Spread in one layer on sheet pan and roast in a 450 degree oven. Turn every 15 minutes. Cook for 45 minute or up to an hour.

Roasted Dijon Brussel Sprouts - Wash, dry, cut off end and cut in half. Coat with a mixture of olive oil, grainy mustard or dijon, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast in a 450 degree oven for 30 - 45 minutes turning every 10 minutes. I like mine a little darker, most like them toasted to a nice golden brown.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! really low in calories, and so versatile.

Chop into small pieces and add to egg scrambled for breakfast.

Stuff a big portabello mushroom with tuna, crab, or prawns, and some tomato salsa.

Slice finely and saute in a little oil and lots of garlic.

Add to any sauce for pasta.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My fav veggies are broccoli, chinese kale, choi sum, and romaine lettuce. All great steamed with some ginger :D
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    One of my many favorites is 1/2 cup frozen corn boiled and drained and then put back in pot and add 1 oz cream cheese. This is one serving size.

calories 180
    carbs 18
    *fat 10
    protein 5
    soduim 115
    fiber 2

*this is full fat cream cheese not low fat or no fat
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Asparagus on the grill w/ olive oil, salt, and pepper.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli - I could eat it like candy! Also steamed brussels sprouts with a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. Green beans sauteed with a little garlic and mushrooms! Roasted red peppers! Roasted carrots!

My favorite non-cooked vegetable is the sugar snap pea. OMG so delicious.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potatoe

Yes! I throw mine in micro though and when it is done I split it and add 1 serving of chopped dried figs as a topping. This will make it exrtra sweet and boost your fiber intake for that day. Great marshmallow replacement too
  • Islandgirl1983
    Islandgirl1983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Roasted! I take a variety of root vegetables, beets, yam (I only eat 1/2 cup of the yam at times because of the carbs), onion, garlic, carrots, brussel sprouts, rosemary, salt & pepper. Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. I make a large sheet pan full so I have them through the week. They are great with over easy eggs. No need for toast! Make sure you cut the beets about 1/2 the size of the yams they take longer to cook. The brussel sprouts end up all carmelly, and taste like your eating a spring roll! Fabulous!
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I was starting to get bored of my roasted asparagus and brussels sprouts with garlic, salt, olive oil and pepper. I can't wait to try some of these suggestions!
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just trying to get more ideas for veggies and cooking styles, also interested in trying some new things that maybe I haven't heard of before. I think my fave are green beans, I just boil them ever so slightly because I love them crunchy- heck I even eat them raw.
    green beans with a little bit of crush walnuts, almonds or pecans is delicious.

I love broiling veggies, just tastes better.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas, blanched in hot water for 20 seconds.
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    At the moment my favorite vegetable is Brussel Sprouts. i snip off the end the rub them with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Roast them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes shaking them every 5 minutes or so. Nice and crispy on the outside and so yummy on the inside.
  • atakins
    atakins Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Steamed Broccoli, Asparagus or Green Beans - Misto with a little olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper... ye gods!