What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options

Replies

• Rarebeauty39
    Options
    Fried green beans (but baked) ummm! Or cauliflower boiled and mashed with a little bit of light sourcream or low fat ranch dressing. These little tricks keep me away from french fries and mashed potatoes:)
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    Heirloom tomato cut thick cheese sprinkled on top with some garlic and broiled till cheese starts to brown. Eat with a knife and fork. Drool.:love:

Ooooh ...or what about caprese style? Fresh heirloom tomatoes with slices of buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. If you want a show stopping salad variate between red and yellow slices of tomato and stack it like a Napoleon. Top the stack with baby pea shoots or sprouts and drizzle the vinegar and oil over top or on the plate.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts and I boil them for 10 minutes and add a bit of salt.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is my favourite. Steamed, with lemon juice squeezed over it.
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is spinach - wilted, with a little salt, pepper and (sometimes) butter.

I've just really discovered sweet potatoes - I made roasted sweet potato "chips" the other night - little rosemary and olive oil and roasted in the over.

Broccoli is always good too - roasted, raw, cooked with olive oil and garlic.

Yummmm.
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli, steamed, then stir fried in olive oil with crushed chillies. Perfect over some plain pasta... yummy! :smile:
  • fh10
    fh10 Posts: 4
    Options
    frozen corn sauteed in coconut oil.
    Brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil a dash of salt and garlic.
    broccoli sauteed in coconut oil with a dash of salt.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mine is kale, and I saute it in olive oil with garlic and onion.

Have you tried making kale chips? I've heard really good things about them but haven't tried them yet.

No I haven't tried them yet, but I will definitely!
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Steamed asparagus and raw sugar snap peas are probably my favorites. I could eat an entire bunch/bag in one sitting... especially if there's hummus involved.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My fave is parsnips (the sassy older sister of the carrot) - toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and roast in the oven at 350 for 25-35 min, until golden brown and soft.

They're a great root veggie and when roasted have a refreshing sweetness to go with the tartness they carry uncooked.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lacinato Kale! I make a dressing with a little olive oil, a lot of lemon juice, red wine vinegar, shallots, garlic, & a little dijon to help everything emulsify. Cut the (washed) kale into ribbons and let it rest with the dressing for an hour or so. I mix and match fresh herbs depending on what I have (parsley, mint, tarragon, oregano) and same thing with other veg (roasted peppers, sun dried tomatoes, grilled zucchini, really whatever you feel like), but it's excellent with just the kale & dressing too. If I want to make a meal out of it I add a couple of cups of quinoa cooked in low sodium chicken stock.
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I love leeks but have never eaten them alone! I've used them in soups and frittatas before.
  • Nicole65
    Options
    BUMP

What does bump mean here?
  • schmimblebob
    Options
    Plain old roasted butternut squash, or roasted up alongside a sweet potato, blitzed with some vegetable stock and a touch of nutmeg for a lovely soup.
  • Ashsmith07
    Ashsmith07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love red bell peppers. Raw dipped in hummus, wrapped in tinfoil and roasted on the grill or in the oven, sauteed with other veggies, or chopped in thrown in salads they are definitely my favorite. I also love grilled asparagus, or pretty much any veggies tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper and thrown on the grill.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    BUMP

What does bump mean here?

When you respond to something in topics it puts it in your topics so you can come back and read it later
  • Nicole65
    Options
    Thanks! I thought people were trying to bump me off for a bad topic or something! ;)