What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options

Replies

• Slothronaut
    Slothronaut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't know the exact name in English but I'd say lentils, just boil them, toss some tumeric in (wonderful for preventing a world of problems), a little salt, tomatoes if needed, and masala (I'd tell you what's in it, except I don't know, I just buy the prepared packs).
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat stirfrys (with ever-changing ingredients, due to what's on sale/in season) almost every night.

My favorite raw vegetable entree is zuccini spaghetti: take a vegetable peeler, finely slice the zuccini lengthwise into ribbons, chop some tomatoe/spinach/broccoli to mix in, and serve under pesto.
  • nasa91
    nasa91 Posts: 8
    Options
    Cauliflower roasted at high heat in the oven with a little olive oil and salt and pepper is divine. But how could I possibly choose just one vegetable?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. In a pinch, I cook it in the microwave for 2-4 minutes (depending on size and how you like it done) in just a little bit of water in a shallow dish. Other really yummy ways include wrapping it in foil with some salt and olive oil and roasting it in the oven at 375 for 15 or so minutes or drizzling on a bit of olive oil and putting it right on the grill. I like to top it with salt and olive oil (if it's not already on there from cooking) and usually lemon juice, or sometimes balsamic vinegar and even a little goat cheese. I also use it in omelets and pasta.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    asparagus, I like it in every way possible, grilled with pepper, boiled/steamed with or without butter, in pasta, in thai curry etc
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later and try everything!!!
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite (and I love most vegetables) is rapini, or broccoli raab (or some other names I've seen). It's a green with just a little bitterness, like arugula, and makes a great side or addition to pasta. I trim the ends, cut it into whatever size pieces I want, put it in a shallow pan with a little water to steam (so, cover). Then I push it to the side in the same pan, add some olive oil (or lemon olive oil--so good), a minced garlic clove or two, and some red pepper flakes. Let the garlic sizzle a little, then mix the rapini back in and let it soak up the flavors. It's great with a squeeze of lemon juice. Sometimes I also add toasted pine nuts.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is swiss chard. I julienne it, saute briefly with a little olive oil, then put it on pizza. Heaven.

Any veggie I can throw on the grill is a friend of mine. Grilled asparagus and leeks - Oh yeah!!!

I like kale, braised in veggie stock with a tough cut of beef. Lots of sriracha to finish.

Spinach spinach and more spinach. In the mornings I'll put some fried eggs over a crisped up whole wheat tortilla, then heat some spinach in some salsa, and pour that over the eggs. It's to die for. Add some ham, and guess what you got - YUP! Green eggs and ham! HA!!!
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    red/yellow/green bell pepper, onion, zucchini, mushrooms cut and marinated with olive oil, salt and Italian seasoning. skewer the veggies and bbq......mmmmm, natures candy! Very good flavor and convenient, make meat at the same time. (with same marinade) No need to do any other cooking/preparing at all!

ps great thread idea :)
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I used to hate tomatoes but am finding..I kinda like them :) - I slice a tomato into several slices (not dice - slice like for a sandwich) lay on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with olive oil. I sprinkle each tomato with basil - broil for a few minutes - remove from oven to add shredded cheese - broil till cheese is bubbly - remove from oven put a small dab of light mayo on each tomato and HOLY YUM!!!!
    I also love baked zuchinni - sliced and very lightly breaded - sprinkled with garlic salt - bake at 400 for about 15 - 20 min till crispy

Broccoli - I eat almost daily - just steam - add butter spray - sprinkle with grated cheese

Edit to add - mashed cauliflower!!
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    sounds great!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, fried or roasted in duck fat
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Spears

2 zucchini, cut into spears
    Egg Beaters
    1/4 c. Reese Whole Grain Italian Herb Croutons
    2 T. Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese
    Oregano
    Sea salt
    Black pepper

Dry the zucchini after washing & cutting into spears. Smash croutons (fyi, croutons are lower in calories than bread crumbs!) & mix with parmesan cheese & spices. Dip zucchini into Egg Beaters & then roll in crouton mixture. Bake in oven at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes. These are delicious dipped in Boathouse Ranch Yogurt Dressing (45 calories per 2 tablespoons). Servings: 2

Nutritional facts/serving: 98 calories / 4 grams fat / 10 grams CHO / 8 grams protein / 3 grams fiber
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is mostly a bump... lots of folks have posted my favorites.
    But I will say:

Kale, finely chopped. I put that **** in everything (tuna salad, soup, curry, mashed starchy vegetables, quinoa)

Also, beets. Best beet salad:

1) roast three or four medium beets (wash and cut the tops off; place cut side down in a deep casserole or dutch oven with lid; add a quarter inch to half inch of water; roast in a 400 degree oven for an hour or two; you can do this way ahead so it's not a weekend only deal). Remove from oven to cool.
    2) slice up an orange. You can be finicky and remove the fiber, or you can just cut the skin off and then cut the orange, slicing so the fibrous parts are in the middle of the slice.
    3) Mix the juice of half a lemon with a teaspoon or two of olive oil and a pinch of cayenne or chipotle.
    4) Peel the cooled beets and cut into wedges. Preferably while still warm, but no biggie if you just pulled them out of the fridge, dress with the lemon/olive oil.
    5) Toss with the orange slices (or arrange in little orange-and-fuschia pinwheels if you are trying to impress someone).
    6) Top with some goat cheese if you like.
    7) Try not to eat it all in one sitting.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Fresh hot peppers
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Green beans with carmelized ( sauteed) onions, sauteed mushrooms, and a handful of cashews. Best beans ever. My other favorite would be sweet corn quiche with sweet yellow and red peppers, bacon, mushrooms, made with duck eggs and swiss cheese.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Frozen peas and carrots and Brussel sprouts.

I boil the Brussel sprouts in water, which has bean seasoned, then drizzle a little Campbells cheese soup, which is mixed with water not milk, over them. I add Cajun seasoning and pepper to the cheese soup.

The peas and carrots I put in a casserole dish, put in a couple tablespoons water, and microwave til tender. Those I eat plain.

I'm having both today, as a matter of fact. Yummy.
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you can get your hands on fresh fiddleheads, give them a shot. I steam them until they soften up a little then sauté them with a bit of Earth Balance, garlic & pepper. Very tasty.
  • malariemj
    malariemj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    KALE! I cut it into 3 inch strips, lay a single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake at 350 for about 15 min, or until they start to get crunchy, then inhale them immediately......WAAAAYYYYYY more addicting that Pringles. Once they cool, the fun don't stop.