No, I'm not a feminist

Options

Replies

• ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am a feminist and I'm very proud of that. I agree with the content of your topic but am surprised you need to preface it explaining you aren't one of those awful feminists.... Merriam Webster defines feminism as "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes"....certainly wouldn't want people thinking you believe in any of that craziness.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Stop watching TV and your life will improve by leaps and bounds. So much so that you stop noticing or worrying about things like this.

This.

I was 300 pounds when my girlfriend and I started dating. She's 130 soaking wet.

It *might* be the fact that I treat her well and love her for who she is, but what the hell do I know.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I hate men. Sexist pigs.*

*Joke. That was a joke.

Lies she screams that when we are in bed.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Back in the late 90s or early 2000s, Days of Our Lives had an actress who was quite a bit overweight married to a very buff doctor. Her weight wasn't mentioned at all.

The only thing I find remotely uncomfortable about this is the admission that I watched Days of Our Lives in the late 90s or early 2000s.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I hate men. Sexist pigs.*

I can't believe some people on here. How rude!
  • lraien
    lraien Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's the standard. It's even in commercials. The dad at the breakfast table can be pudgy and balding but the mom (even if she's rocking mom clothes and a mom haircut) will still have abs you could bounce a quarter off of and be a size 4.

It does seem to be a pretty accurate reflection of real life though. I have known many a man who's wife visually appears way "out of his league" but I don't think I've ever known a woman with a man who visually appears out of hers.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Haven't you heard? "Fat" is the new "normal".
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    And in real life.. my husband is athletic and in shape and I am heavy. Also we are an interracial couple he's white. So turn off the tv and focus on the real world.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    why do you have to announce you're not a feminist? and why don't you support your own gender? what do you think 'feminist' means? why aren't you one?
    try to use one-syllable words and small sentences because I AM A FEMINIST and raised my daughters to be complete American women too.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hey, being a feminist is awesome. It's all about smashing the gender binary and just celebrating humankind (at least, to me).

Smashing sexual dimorphism? Wouldn't that be an "asexualist" then?
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am quite confused by this thread, but I just wanted to say to "wickedcricket" I love your ticker :)
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I am confused by this thread, but I just wanted to say to the above poster ^^^^ I love your ticker :)

That sounds majorly dirty.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    “We need to reclaim the word 'feminism'. We need the word 'feminism' back real bad. When statistics come in saying that only 29% of American women would describe themselves as feminist - and only 42% of British women - I used to think, What do you think feminism IS, ladies? What part of 'liberation for women' is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? 'Vogue' by Madonna? Jeans? Did all that good **** GET ON YOUR NERVES? Or were you just DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY?”

― Caitlin Moran, How to Be a Woman
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.
    I'd take it a step further: gorgeous, thin, smart women, with fat, and seemingly dumb men seems to be the new norm. The days of Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Eight is Enough... are over. Men are portrayed as lovable, chubby goofs in many shows now.

PS: I AM a feminist.
  • Rosa1213
    Options
    I am confused by this thread, but I just wanted to say to the above poster ^^^^ I love your ticker :)

That sounds majorly dirty.

I know, I'm sorry, you posted before I had the chance to post, and so your post got sandwiched between "wickedcricket"s and mine...

That was really confusing.
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hey, being a feminist is awesome. It's all about smashing the gender binary and just celebrating humankind (at least, to me).

Smashing sexual dimorphism? Wouldn't that be an "asexualist" then?
    Sexual dimorphism and gender binary are not the same thing. Definitely a feminist!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_binary
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_dimorphism
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's a double standard based in the idea that women characters are there to look sexy and male characters are there to identify with, because the target audience is men (who are probably overweight and not super attractive). The show creators are setting it up so that the audience can place themselves within a character's shoes, giving the audience what they want- a sexy lady.

Since media doesn't usually care what women want, it's never the sort of unattractive overweight girl with a hunky guy.

And yeah, this is a feminist idea. Contrary to popular belief, feminism isn't all burning bras and hating men. It's about pointing out unhealthy tropes, like fat dude and his sexy love interests on TV, and saying we want something else.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I didn't think people would take the subject so seriously. Feminists are so rude.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Stop watching TV and your life will improve by leaps and bounds. So much so that you stop noticing or worrying about things like this.

/thread
  • Rosa1213
    Options
    “We need to reclaim the word 'feminism'. We need the word 'feminism' back real bad. When statistics come in saying that only 29% of American women would describe themselves as feminist - and only 42% of British women - I used to think, What do you think feminism IS, ladies? What part of 'liberation for women' is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? 'Vogue' by Madonna? Jeans? Did all that good **** GET ON YOUR NERVES? Or were you just DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY?”

― Caitlin Moran, How to Be a Woman

I think a lot of women interpret "feminism" as "man-hating".
    (And men shouldn't be hated. I know some wonderful men :smile: )
    So, I think that's where the confusion comes in.