Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    BS!! You're a feminist Womyn!

:flowerforyou:
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I didn't read a single word of this thread, I'm just popping in to say that there is nothing bad about being a feminist. Should men and women be treated with equal respect? Did you answer yes? Congratulations, you're a feminist.

Editing because I wrote that really fast but... not just men and women, but more like all people. Every single person should be treated with equal respect regardless of what they have between their legs or what their gender identity is.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I didn't think people would take the subject so seriously. Feminists are so rude.

I'm being sarcastic here, just in case. Never intended to offend anyone.

Hey, I get jokes. I just get tired of the gulf between what people think feminism is and what it really is. There's already enough negative connotation so I try to push back on that notion when I can. I don't mean to be rude, I just LOVE equality and respect.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

ive almost never seen a "normal" guy with a "fat" wife IRL.

on that note wolf you are now invited to dinner at my house. bring your glasses and camera. don't want to forget seeing something so rarely found in nature.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I didn't think people would take the subject so seriously. Feminists are so rude.

I'm being sarcastic here, just in case. Never intended to offend anyone.

Hey, I get jokes. I just get tired of the gulf between what people think feminism is and what it really is. There's already enough negative connotation so I try to push back on that notion when I can. I don't mean to be rude, I just LOVE equality and respect.

Me too. I'm in medical school and I'd never have gotten here if it weren't for my feminist predecessors. Forgive my faux pas.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

first-kiss-alert_203x250.jpg

eli_bailey_dancing_arrow.gif

END THREAD

can we add
    Sookie-Jackson-sookie-1289237-653-1000.jpg
    Gilmore Girls

Um...someone TOLD me about this...I didn't watch the Gilmore Girls... nor do I watch the reruns on ABCFamily and SoapTV.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    If you are not a feminist, where is your bra picture? :tongue:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Back in the late 90s or early 2000s, Days of Our Lives had an actress who was quite a bit overweight married to a very buff doctor. Her weight wasn't mentioned at all.

The only thing I find remotely uncomfortable about this is the admission that I watched Days of Our Lives in the late 90s or early 2000s.

We were like twins separated at birth until this moment...

...for I watched All My Children. :embarassed:

I watched AMC also and still watch GH to this day!
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    We need to add Queen Latifah to the list too! The Queen gets any man she wants!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

You seem like one of those types of women who tries really hard to other herself from feminists in the hopes that men will find you more attractive because you're not like THOSE women. You probably also have this idea that all feminists are hairy legged butch lesbians who ride motorcycles and worship the vagina goddess, and don't want to be associated with that idea. Don't worry, that's not actually how feminism is.

No, I don't have those ideas. I'm not that ignorant.

take it easy, it's not that. it's just that sometimes the feminism can get a little carried away and pigeonhole some women into doing things strictly in the "feminist" way of whatever's socially acceptable at the moment. some people's versions of feminism leaves no room for certain aspects of female society who are happy in their situations. case in point SAHM ing it. I've heard some feminists say some pretty harsh things about that. If that's not you, more power to you. But if it is...then more power to us. The women who are proud to be women in all its incarnations. The end.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    *gasp* you mean to tell me that there are social inequities on how men and womens bodies are viewed in society because of how Hollywood portrays relationships ???!!!! *kitten*
  • wolverine66
    Options
    I wanna step out on a limb here and say those TV shows interpret reality accurately.

Women are more like to NOT look at appearances. (IMO)
    Guys DO.
    Most women will let the personality of a guy determine the attraction, rather than basing it solely on looks.

Men (generally speaking, not all) usually don't give a woman the chance to let their personality show, if they aren't physically attractive (to his own standards.)

I agree with the initial premise. I think the bolded part is untrue
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    why do you have to announce you're not a feminist? and why don't you support your own gender? what do you think 'feminist' means? why aren't you one?
    try to use one-syllable words and small sentences because I AM A FEMINIST and raised my daughters to be complete American women too.

I support my gender and so does OP she JUST FR'd me for crying out loud and I'm a woman. You don't have to describe yourself as a feminist to support the female gender if you're a female. You just have to support each other, and some versions of feminism don't feel very supportive to me. And that might be why some women try to distance themselves from that label because some women are using it as a man beating club and lately even as a beating other women with club. Just sayin'. And this time the end. For reals!
  • wolverine66
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.
    I'd take it a step further: gorgeous, thin, smart women, with fat, and seemingly dumb men seems to be the new norm. The days of Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Eight is Enough... are over. Men are portrayed as lovable, chubby goofs in many shows now.

PS: I AM a feminist.

I have despised how a lot of men are portrayed in TV sitcoms. The most egregious depiction being Tim Allen in "Home Improvement."
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I think all these women should shut up & one of 'em make me a sammich!

Okay, it was a lousy attempt at trolling, or lightening the mood!
  • wolverine66
    Options
    oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this had turned into a thread about who is feminist and what feminism is.

my bad.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I want to see a sitcom where Bradley Cooper dates me. Forget sitcom... I want that in real life. Bradley Cooper makes me tingle.

hahahaha! yeah that's a thread I wanna be part of....where we photoshop our image next to hot celebrity gifs. yay photoshop.
  • Ranna51
    Ranna51 Posts: 24
    Options
    Agreed, and,.....too often, some loud-mouthed, uneducated or undereducated or ignorant female in the media proclaims herself a feminist, spouts some narrow-minded, gender-biased verbiage, and gives feminism a bad, bad rap. Some of these people actually make chauvinism look good by comparison. So sad for the female gender that we have so many shooting off their mouth without thinking. Makes me cringe.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this had turned into a thread about who is feminist and what feminism is.

my bad.

yeah sorry I just tried to change it, realized that too.

but yeah so in my case I want a sitcom where I can stay a little fluffy and still have a thin slender hot husband.

oh wait, that' IRL for me. Hahahah. who needs TV? well actually though I want a show with TOmmy lee and me.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Your problem is that you are looking to the media for definition of what's normal and/or acceptable. You will rarely find truth in the media, esp TV and movies.

I agree with this statement. The problem is - in response to the person who asked, "Who cares?" - for many people, the media DEFINES what's normal and acceptable. It should mirror the real world. When people don't see themselves represented in the media (or represented equally, or positively, or whatever the case is), it sends a message that they are abnormal, or don't exist, or have to be something they're not (thin, straight, whatever the case) to have a happy relationship. That isn't the case. Also, I read somewhere that being able to relate to a character increases a person's ability to relate to other people. Whether a person relates to a character's race, sex, sexual orientation, upbringing, cultural/religious/ethnic traditions, relationship elements (like one overweight person and one thin person, or two people of different races, or whatever the case), or what that character is going through (a bad breakup, a great love story, realizing his/her sexuality, sexual abuse, or looking for adventure), finding someone you can identify with is important to most people and TV, films and books offer this option - just not to everyone. Getting better though...