No, I'm not a feminist

Options

Replies

• emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think all these women should shut up & one of 'em make me a sammich!

LOL yes!

Okay, it was a lousy attempt at trolling, or lightening the mood!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.
    I'd take it a step further: gorgeous, thin, smart women, with fat, and seemingly dumb men seems to be the new norm. The days of Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Eight is Enough... are over. Men are portrayed as lovable, chubby goofs in many shows now.

PS: I AM a feminist.

I have despised how a lot of men are portrayed in TV sitcoms. The most egregious depiction being Tim Allen in "Home Improvement."

So...you despise the depiction of your gender in media as a bumbling idiot or one dimensional stereotype? Congratulations! You're a Masculinist!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I think you can read in to stuff like this all day long and it'll eventually drive you nuts. Where are the shows where the fat guy is with the skinny girl because she loves him and he's an all around great guy, not because he's a funny, bumbling idiot she seems to pity? In fact, where are the shows where are the shows where the husband isn't a complete idiot and the wife is a screw up?

aaaaaaaand the 2nd Masculinist!
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    I apologize if this is innappropriate, but, I missed the part where TV is an accurate portrayal of real life. I'm sorry, I thought it was all made up and for entertainment.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I think you can read in to stuff like this all day long and it'll eventually drive you nuts. Where are the shows where the fat guy is with the skinny girl because she loves him and he's an all around great guy, not because he's a funny, bumbling idiot she seems to pity? In fact, where are the shows where are the shows where the husband isn't a complete idiot and the wife is a screw up?

I think the term you're looking for is Men's Rights Activist which ACTUALLY exists if you can believe it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.
    I'd take it a step further: gorgeous, thin, smart women, with fat, and seemingly dumb men seems to be the new norm. The days of Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Eight is Enough... are over. Men are portrayed as lovable, chubby goofs in many shows now.

I have despised how a lot of men are portrayed in TV sitcoms. The most egregious depiction being Tim Allen in "Home Improvement."

I agree. In defense of men, not all men burn the house down when trying to cook, diaper the wrong end of a baby or spit and stammer when trying to talk to their young daughters. Men get a bad wrap in sitcoms as well.

aaaaaaaaaaand the 3rd and it wasn't even a man! Okay so consensus? Feminism and masculinism are for everyone? All in favor say Aye!

[p.s. I will take the vote after I get my hands out of my pants since I am still testing myself for feminism, and there's no rushing these things.]
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Just saying.

I agree. In defense of men, not all men burn the house down when trying to cook, diaper the wrong end of a baby or spit and stammer when trying to talk to their young daughters. Men get a bad wrap in sitcoms as well.

I think sitcoms are stupid, in general. But I have to disagree about the Tim Allen character. I know *way* too many men that are "Tim Allen" to a tee. :laugh:
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree that there is this interesting double standard in the media that allows for a chubbier male character to date or marry the hollywood ideal of a woman and yet not portray women of an "unideal" weight as someone able to "get" a man embodying typical societal expectations of attractiveness.

On topic, there was an interesting episode of Girls this season in which Lena Dunham's character has a brief affair with a separated doctor played by Patrick Wilson. If you have ever watched the show or even know anything about it you have probably gathered that most of Dunham's sexual encounters have been awkward and unsettling. However, in this episode she has these moments with Wilson that is some of the most tender and intimate that has been seen on the show, and many critics on the internet wrote it off as unrealistic - that a woman like Lena Dunham (who is by no means very over-weight or all that unattractive) could never "get" a man like Patrick Wilson. I think, more interesting than the episode itself is the critics response to this almost conventional idea of younger woman- older divorced guy could be rendered unbelievable just by the Lena's looks which don't seem to hold up to some unnatural standard. Anyways, food for thought.
  • daisydaisy99
    daisydaisy99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this is innappropriate, but, I missed the part where TV is an accurate portrayal of real life. I'm sorry, I thought it was all made up and for entertainment.

That's just crazy talk, next you'll be saying that reality tv isn't actually real! ;-)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:drinker:
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options

That's just crazy talk, next you'll be saying that reality tv isn't actually real! ;-)

Lol! Of course it's real, the tv wouldn't lie to us, right!?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this had turned into a thread about who is feminist and what feminism is.

my bad.

Mention the very word "feminism" on a MFP thread and this is exactly what you get. Pure entertainment.

Just as discussing kids and exercise gets the "OMG you're committing child abuse" vs. "I'm sending my 3 yo to basic training and she's fighting in death combat next week" discussion. For the record, I lean toward the latter.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I think the term you're looking for is Men's Rights Activist which ACTUALLY exists if you can believe it.

I want to believe.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What about Sheldon and Amy on Big Bang? She's not model skinny like Penny. He's definitely a skinny guy.

Totally love the show.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    "So here is the quick way of working out if you're a feminist. Put your hand in your pants.

a) Do you have a vagina? and
    b) Do you want to be in charge of it?

If you said 'yes' to both, then congratulations! You're a feminist.”

― Caitlin Moran, How to Be a Woman

^^ This is how I view feminism.

I like this a lot, but! You don't have to be a woman to be a feminist! You also don't have to have a vagina to be a woman! (I mean, I know that the quote was mostly directed towards biological women and that's great, but I just felt like I should point those other things out.)

Feminism has a negative connotation still and it really shouldn't because it is a GOOD THING. Every woman should be a feminist. Every HUMAN should be a feminist.
    I love women, and I think that everybody deserves equal treatment before the law.

The reason I'm uncomfortable with the feminist label is that the feminist movement has been invaded by collectivists who are attempting to use feminism to further their own goals instead of the goals of equal treatment. It seems to me that feminism has become less about equality and more about special treatment.
  • daisydaisy99
    daisydaisy99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Lol! Of course it's real, the tv wouldn't lie to us, right!?

mmmmmmm tv....teacher, mother, secret lover...

truer words were never spoken (incidently by a fat guy with a skinny hot wife - or as hot as you can be with yellow skin and blue hair!)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    "So here is the quick way of working out if you're a feminist. Put your hand in your pants.

I like this a lot, but! You don't have to be a woman to be a feminist! You also don't have to have a vagina to be a woman! (I mean, I know that the quote was mostly directed towards biological women and that's great, but I just felt like I should point those other things out.)

Feminism has a negative connotation still and it really shouldn't because it is a GOOD THING. Every woman should be a feminist. Every HUMAN should be a feminist.
    I love women, and I think that everybody deserves equal treatment before the law.

The reason I'm uncomfortable with the feminist label is that the feminist movement has been invaded by collectivists who are attempting to use feminism to further their own goals instead of the goals of equal treatment. It seems to me that feminism has become less about equality and more about special treatment.

So true! The collectivists *love* to talk about equality while at the same time advocating preferential treatment.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

oy... :huh:
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yup it's called media image it isnt fair but life's not fair. It pretty much sucks. Why is is wrong to be a feminist? Why is it wrong to be thought of as a *gasp human and want equal pay?

Don't let it phase you though in real life you see big girls w/ normal weight guys...thats how all my relationships have been.