No, I'm not a feminist

Options

Replies

• BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I didn't think people would take the subject so seriously. Feminists are so rude.
    Not sure if serious.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I didn't think people would take the subject so seriously. Feminists are so rude.

I'm being sarcastic here, just in case. Never intended to offend anyone.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    “We need to reclaim the word 'feminism'. We need the word 'feminism' back real bad. When statistics come in saying that only 29% of American women would describe themselves as feminist - and only 42% of British women - I used to think, What do you think feminism IS, ladies? What part of 'liberation for women' is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? 'Vogue' by Madonna? Jeans? Did all that good **** GET ON YOUR NERVES? Or were you just DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY?”

― Caitlin Moran, How to Be a Woman

I think a lot of women interpret "feminism" as "man-hating".
    (And men shouldn't be hated. I know some wonderful men :smile: )
    So, I think that's where the confusion comes in.

A lot of women have helped the stereotype of feminist hating men. It's always the few that makes the larger group look bad.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I hate men. Sexist pigs.*

*Joke. That was a joke.

Lies she screams that when we are in bed.

:laugh:
  • reallifealien
    reallifealien Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i think you're subtly shaming feminists here..
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options

You seem like one of those types of women who tries really hard to other herself from feminists in the hopes that men will find you more attractive because you're not like THOSE women. You probably also have this idea that all feminists are hairy legged butch lesbians who ride motorcycles and worship the vagina goddess, and don't want to be associated with that idea. Don't worry, that's not actually how feminism is.
  • peggysue218
    Options
    It's a double standard based in the idea that women characters are there to look sexy and male characters are there to identify with, because the target audience is men (who are probably overweight and not super attractive). The show creators are setting it up so that the audience can place themselves within a character's shoes, giving the audience what they want- a sexy lady.

Since media doesn't usually care what women want, it's never the sort of unattractive overweight girl with a hunky guy.

And yeah, this is a feminist idea. Contrary to popular belief, feminism isn't all burning bras and hating men. It's about pointing out unhealthy tropes, like fat dude and his sexy love interests on TV, and saying we want something else.

This makes sense to me.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    "So here is the quick way of working out if you're a feminist. Put your hand in your pants.

a) Do you have a vagina? and
    b) Do you want to be in charge of it?

If you said 'yes' to both, then congratulations! You're a feminist.”

• keshiabug1
    keshiabug1 Posts: 150
    Options
    I wanna step out on a limb here and say those TV shows interpret reality accurately.

Women are more like to NOT look at appearances. (IMO)
    Guys DO.
    Most women will let the personality of a guy determine the attraction, rather than basing it solely on looks.

Men (generally speaking, not all) usually don't give a woman the chance to let their personality show, if they aren't physically attractive (to his own standards.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    well it happens IRL enough that yeah it should make it's way into a show. one other than honey boo boo.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    “We need to reclaim the word 'feminism'. We need the word 'feminism' back real bad. When statistics come in saying that only 29% of American women would describe themselves as feminist - and only 42% of British women - I used to think, What do you think feminism IS, ladies? What part of 'liberation for women' is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? 'Vogue' by Madonna? Jeans? Did all that good **** GET ON YOUR NERVES? Or were you just DRUNK AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY?”

I thought their motto was gender equality or something?
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    Mondays are rough

tumblr_m4ps16C9kr1r8v3ad.gif
  • peggysue218
    Options
    i think you're subtly shaming feminists here..

I'm not! Trust me - I'm all for gender equality. I only put that as my subject because I thought dudes might see this thread and dismiss my point because it is a feminist idea. I've brought this up irl around men and they're just like "pssht stop being such a feminist." I know some of you won't like that explanation but that's what was going through my mind at the time.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

ive almost never seen a "normal" guy with a "fat" wife IRL.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

first-kiss-alert_203x250.jpg

eli_bailey_dancing_arrow.gif

END THREAD
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Mondays are rough

Some people like it rough.. just sayin'
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Topic: No, I'm not a feminist
    me neither...but damn this is some empowering ish!

http://youtu.be/lfy42UxEL2Y
    thanks dav!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/959637-mind-if-i-leave-this-here
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Back in the late 90s or early 2000s, Days of Our Lives had an actress who was quite a bit overweight married to a very buff doctor. Her weight wasn't mentioned at all.

The only thing I find remotely uncomfortable about this is the admission that I watched Days of Our Lives in the late 90s or early 2000s.

We were like twins separated at birth until this moment...

...for I watched All My Children. :embarassed:
  • peggysue218
    Options

You seem like one of those types of women who tries really hard to other herself from feminists in the hopes that men will find you more attractive because you're not like THOSE women. You probably also have this idea that all feminists are hairy legged butch lesbians who ride motorcycles and worship the vagina goddess, and don't want to be associated with that idea. Don't worry, that's not actually how feminism is.

No, I don't have those ideas. I'm not that ignorant.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    That's the standard. It's even in commercials. The dad at the breakfast table can be pudgy and balding but the mom (even if she's rocking mom clothes and a mom haircut) will still have abs you could bounce a quarter off of and be a size 4.

It does seem to be a pretty accurate reflection of real life though. I have known many a man who's wife visually appears way "out of his league" but I don't think I've ever known a woman with a man who visually appears out of hers.

My husband was "visually" way out of my league when I weighed 214 pounds for two years. Just sayin'.

ETA: and when he and I first started dating someone I considered a friend exclaimed, "Wow, he's hot! How did YOU ever get HIM?" So not all thin guys go straight for thin girls (I weighed about 30 pounds more when he and I met than I do now)