Book Club: Women Food and God (Author: Geneen Roth)

Options
Hi friends,:flowerforyou:

I just watched Geneen Roth in an interview on the Oprah Winfrey show. She is the author of Women, Food and God. I am an emotional eater and I have to say, Ms. Roth spoke to my heart today. So much of her message makes sense to me. I am going to purchase her book and study her message. Would you like to join me? If so, purchase the book and meet here on Tues. for our first discussion. Even if you can't get the book by then, please join us. (I am not sure I can get it by then!:)) The discussion question will be posted on Tues. but you can respond and reflect all week.

I don't know about you but I have lost and gained weight one too many times. I want to stop this cycle and live a long, healthy, fit life. I deserve it.....and so do you!:heart:

Bump if you want to join so you can find the forum on Tues.

All the best,
Fab:smooched:

Replies

• LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I saw an ad in People Magazine for this book, and thought about it!

awesome! If I can get it I will join!
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options
    This is the second time in a week I've heard of this book...I'm intrigued...Going shopping Saturday, so I will look for the book! (P.S. what does bump mean???) Thanks :happy:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    This is the second time in a week I've heard of this book...I'm intrigued...Going shopping Saturday, so I will look for the book! (P.S. what does bump mean???) Thanks :happy:

You just bumped! (or tagged) :wink: Now this will show up in your "my topics." Hmmmmm....2nd time in a week....is it a sign? Hope to see you here next week! :heart:
  • andygirl
    andygirl Posts: 18
    Options
    Saw the interview as well and just finished ordering the book. It will be a week before I get it but will check back Tuesday to what is said...
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options
    I just bumped and didn't even know it...lol... I believe it is a sign. See you next week :happy:
  • mhagoaliemom
    mhagoaliemom Posts: 110
    Options
    I'll watch Oprah when it comes on here today & check it out. :flowerforyou:
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'll try to get the book and join you all...thanks!!
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    I'll watch Oprah when it comes on here today & check it out. :flowerforyou:

I love the scripture on your signature...it says it all! "You fill the hungry with good things, Luke 1:53" I know what I am really hungry for...a closer relationship with my Father! :heart:
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm watching this on Oprah right now and want to go get the book tonight. I'm in! However, I'm really new on this site and have no idea how to "bump" or join a group so if you can send me a message on how to do this I would appreciate it.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I paused Oprah on my DVR to order this book in the middle of her show! I can't wait to get my hands on it and am so happy I will have people to discuss it with! Thanks for starting this group!
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    As soon as I can get the book, I'm very interested. Thanks for starting this thread.:flowerforyou:
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    I paused Oprah on my DVR to order this book in the middle of her show! I can't wait to get my hands on it and am so happy I will have people to discuss it with! Thanks for starting this group!

So glad to have you join us! We may have trouble getting the book...it seems to have had the "Oprah" affect! We will start the discussion with or without the book...see you next week here! :heart:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'll join. Not sure if I'll have the book on time but I'll be back on Tuesday!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I ended up ordering the book because I couldn't get to a bookstore. I should have the book by the end of the week.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    tag. I want to follow this thread.
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    So weird I found this thread as I was emotion eating my way through some cake and ice cream after dealing with family drama. I read the first few pages of the book on Amazon, and though I'm reading 3 books with similar ideas (how to change for a closer relationship to God) I want in on this book club. Talk to you all on Tues. And maybe that discussion could talk about those first few pages- everyone can read online?
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    So weird I found this thread as I was emotion eating my way through some cake and ice cream after dealing with family drama. I read the first few pages of the book on Amazon, and though I'm reading 3 books with similar ideas (how to change for a closer relationship to God) I want in on this book club. Talk to you all on Tues. And maybe that discussion could talk about those first few pages- everyone can read online?

I'll read them, too. I ordered mine last week but haven't gotten it yet.

Also, I must warn you that based on the reviews I have read and what I saw on Oprah, the book isn't about being closer with God. Some people found the title deceiving and were upset about that. I haven't read yet but I just assume that it was written to apply to women universally, so God doesn't necessarily mean your God or my God or even any God at all. Who knows? I guess we'll find out when we read!
  • apromise2me
    apromise2me Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm also looking forward to reading this with all of you. Will pick mine up tomorrow!

Debi :flowerforyou:
  • FabulousFifty
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the first week of Book Club! We are reading "Women, Food and God,"by Geneen Roth. Please join us, even if you can't get the book right away.

:smile: This week please read the Prologue and Ch. 1 + 2. I highly recommend you pick up a pretty notebook to use as a journal while you are reading. (You deserve it! :heart: ) Check in each Tues. to respond to the Discussion Question.

Week 1 Discussion Question: As you read Chapters 1 and 2 reflect back to see if you have a memory of using food as a child to medicate or punish yourself. Journal about this incident. Geneen Roth was a child who experienced stress due to her parents turmultuous marriage. She apparently blamed herself for her parent's fighting. She began to "punish herself" by overeating. Read Chapter 1 and 2 to discover how Hostess Snoballs became her vice. :ohwell:

Respond here this week: Tell us about a memory you may have of medicating or punishing yourself with food. What was the trigger? Have you seen this pattern repeat itself throughout your life? How can you deal with these triggers today? How can you stay in control without medicating with food? Here is my first memory and a discovery I made this morning.....(feeling kinda vulnerable...oh well....here goes....:frown: )

My response: I could immediately recall an incident as a child when I read the "Snoball" story. We moved alot when I was a kid. Changing schools alot gave me a level of anxiety to deal with. I felt out of control. I recall in the third grade, after a move, having a crabby teacher who did not warmly welcome a new kid in November. I had to make new friends, in a clicky school, with a teacher who did not adore me. I began to leave my lunch tray full. I wouldn't touch it. I lost a few pounds. I remember on report-card day the teacher weighed us and I had lost 8 pounds since my arrival. I still recall the numbers! I went from 68 pounds to 60 pounds in the third grade. She weighed me twice to make sure. Pretty scrawny kid....I found something I could control in my life. AND...I got attention for it. The teacher actually commented that I had lost weight and my parents should take a look at this. Finally, I had this teacher's attention and concern. I continued this pattern of starving myself through the day and then I began binging after school. It was amazing what I could put away. But I had to sneak to do this. My mother wouldn't want us to ruin our appetite for supper. I clearly recall the first binge. I grabbed a box of "chicken in a basket" crackers and snuck it to my room and polished off the box. I remember the feeling of calm that came over me as I experienced this "carb high," as I polished off that box. Hmmmmmm.....thoughts......I tend to be a carb-a-holic to this day! I still sneak and eat....and who or what am I hiding from?I still....errrr.....used to.....comfort myself with food when experiencing high levels of anxiety. I have dealt with anxiety issues in adulthood. Wow....I am already digging deep and discovering some root causes of my emotional eating. This pattern continued throughout my childhood as I experienced "rough spots" and anxiety. Starve, reward myself by hopping on the scale and seeing the numbers drop (ahhhhh....I controlled SOMETHING), then the binge. The scale-hopping has continued throughout my adult life as well. I know this is all tied together....hmmmm....more to learn about me.

:smile: Discovery moment: 1. I do know that MFP has given me accountability and is helping me break this pattern. 2. As an adult, I have a faith that gives me strength. I now know WHO is in control of my life. I have had to struggle through rough spots to know that I must totally rely on my God as my source of strength. These are my personal beliefs. I respect yours. 3. Exercise helps me remain calm and stable. This helps my anxiety today.

NOTE: Please know that Ms. Roth's understanding of God may not be the same as yours and mine. She gives a generic description of her God. The focus of this discussion is not to promote her beliefs or mine. It is for all of us to come to terms with our emotional eating with the support of one another. I do have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I am not here to push my beliefs on you but want you to know where I stand. I am just taking this journey through this book and would like some company on the way. I am digging deep to try to come to terms with my own emotional eating patterns. I want to be done with dieting and binging forever. And I know my God wants to hold my hand while I cross over this thresh-hold. I didn't know Him when I began this cycle. I am calling on Him for strength, guidance and wisdom this time. He is in control this time around!:heart:

What is your response and did you make a discovery along the way? Tell us about it! (If you haven't been able to get your hands on the book, please grab a journal and begin this walk with us. You can still take part in the discussion until your book comes in.)

:flowerforyou: Fabxoxoxoxoxo