Is this a suspicious incident?

Options

Replies

• 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    People are registered as sex offenders for a number of reasons some legitimate and some stupid technicalities in the law. I personally don't think those records should be public.

Wow
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Women should always always always listen to their instincts. If you are concerned about it, and it sounds like you are, don't walk alone, take your cell with you, and don't walk at night. If you see the truck again you could call your local police non-emergency line and tell them what you saw.

It does not have to be the non-emergency line. If you think you are in danger call 9-1-1.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I run a lot. I didn't used to be concerned, but based on some of the responses here, I worry that I may be shot or stabbed by some paranoid as I run up behind them on the trail. Hopefully, they will be so freaked out they'll just shoot themselves in the foot instead. :tongue:
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this since there seem to be so many anti-2nd Amendment folks here on MFP, but if you don't want to change your walking routine, then concealed carry is a great solution.

Better yet, open carry.

That'll give anyone a second thought before approaching you and your mom.

^This
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You should not have a regular walking routine. You could be observed and not in a good way. If I were walking I would change the times, days, direction etc every day. Also if you are concerned don't worry about calling the non-emergency police number. You may not be the only one reporting suspicious behavior. Stay safe.
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think you're overreacting a little. If you were scared, sure - it was a good idea to get out of there.

But to assume the truck was faced the direction it was because of you... To assume the truck left because you spotted them... To assume the truck came back and was intentionally turning toward you... all in an attempt to abduct and do horrible things to you.

Possible? Sure. Plausible? No more than any other theory at this point.

The truck could have been facing the direction it was because... that's how the driver chose to park. My husband will generally choose to pull through a spot instead of having to back out. Maybe this driver does too.

The truck could have left because you creeped them out... Or because they didn't want to appear creepy by continuing to sit there. I've been parked in a lot - waiting for someone or killing time - and left because I didn't want people to think I was up to something.

The truck could have come back later because the driver assumed you would be gone by then... I do that in the previous example.

And the truck could have been turning toward you because that was the path toward the spot they wanted to park... Just like they had to drive past you to leave, right?

Keep yourself safe.. Stay alert... And get out of there if you are scared. But don't assume they were out to get you... Not everyone is a deranged psycho looking to rape you just because you're 18.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The OP has Social Anxiety and a mental illness....her own words in a previous thread she started.

I would probably not suggest she carry any weapons just in case the normal non-threatening person in a van might get killed before of this.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to go with your gut (hey, you ran, extra calories burned!) but I think he was probably just a groundskeeper that left because you were there and he didn't want to disturb you and thought 30 minutes time was enough and he circled back around when he realized you were still there so he could leave. Groundskeepers tend to have big vans to keep all their supplies in.

My mom has one hell of a gut instinct. One time a friend and I were house sitting and we woke up because it sounded like there was someone trying to get in the house. This was at 3 in the morning (and it was a house right around the corner from my own). Suddenly we got a call from my mom asking if we were okay. Said she woke up and felt like something was wrong so she called us. We told her no, we thought someone was trying to break in and we were scared, so she came and got us. Next morning we looked and someone had tried to force the door.
  • losing5555
    Options
    ): better safe than sorry. but it would be unwise to worry and cause your health to deteriorate just because you were precautious and didn't want to run. when i was 16, i ran through a swamp, in a park, due to a guy who stopped doing what he was doing and RAN towards us... i was alone with skinny little 2 girls... it was so scary haha... and i had to throw out my swamp-smelling jeans. Anyway, be safe and change up your running times so you’re not predictable to weirdos, carry a phone at all times, be alert, but don't stress or let weirdos stop you. i think ur mother did the right thing.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that people with social anxiety tend to over react and exaggerate when being put in predicaments where they may have to interact with a stranger.

Lets all not jump the gun and tell her to call the police and possibly set up a sting operation (wtf?)
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that people with social anxiety tend to over react and exaggerate when being put in predicaments where they may have to interact with a stranger.

Lets all not jump the gun and tell her to call the police and possibly set up a sting operation (wtf?)

Key word ..GUN.....get one
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    The OP has Social Anxiety and a mental illness....her own words in a previous thread she started.

I would probably not suggest she carry any weapons just in case the normal non-threatening person in a van might get killed before of this.

i noticed that, but I did not mention it as this thread has already devolved into nothing but a America vs. the world and NRA vs sanity.
  • MsxlntLee
    Options
    Well I definitely believe God gives us that whole tummy don't feel right intuition for a reason. I would say don't ignore the whisper..so many victims say hind sight "I knew something was wrong." On another note..I am impressed that your yard is large enough to walk for exercise lol I would clearly have to make 500 laps around my little bitty yard for it to be considered "exercise."
  • MsxlntLee
    Options
    lol...yesssss nothing a little gun powder and lead won't handle
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Our intuition is frequently wiser than we are. If those little mental alarms are going off...listen! At worst...you look a little silly. Or you might have just saved your own life. Good for you and your mom for listening to that little voice.
  • Dawn7664
    Dawn7664 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS TRUST YOUR GUT! Find another place to walk!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    In most cases I think it's mostly a case of "you've been watching too many CSI shows" but... I think I would've done the exact same thing in that situation. I have a few neighbors and friend's parents who will take note of vans / trucks that park too long in their street that are not neighborhood residence. We live in a dangerous place.. anniversary of Virginia Tech just passed and the situation in Boston... was absolutely.. wtf -_-
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    it could be, but because of the location where things always seem creepier, it could have been some people driving around trying to find a place to smoke that joint they rolled. or someone waiting for people to disapear so they can visit a loved one in private. or a creeper.
    always trust your gut though, since there is a reason you get those scared feelings to begin with. with myself i get overly paranoid bc i watch the ID channel too much, but really you never know.
    i never go on a walk or run without my trusty pal, lily. she sure looks like a cutie in this picture, right? she is hella protective, and if someone even approaches us, her guard goes up, but still has a friendly wag of the tail. but if she can sense danger, then her hackles go up and this deep scary growl comes out. so maybe invest in a large dog? or some pepper spray.
    just take notice of your surroundings, and if you see the van again notify the local authorities. better to be safe than sorry. i would have hauled *kitten* out of there too.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this since there seem to be so many anti-2nd Amendment folks here on MFP, but if you don't want to change your walking routine, then concealed carry is a great solution.

Better yet, open carry.

That'll give anyone a second thought before approaching you and your mom.

However, if they both got so freaked out they needed to run because of a truck in a parking lot that hadn't yet made any form of threatening move, I wouldn't think carrying a deadly weapon is a good idea.

And carrying a gun is not an option everywhere nor do I think people should jump to carrying a gun all the time. But, everyone needs to do what they feel is right. Never carry if you aren't prepared to use it and haven't been trained to properly use it. Carrying without proper confidence or training will just do more harm than good. There are ultimately far too many guns out there and they are far too easily obtained... one reason I'm glad I'm in Canada. Not gun free but much much harder to get.

Please, cite the sources that you think support your misinformed conclusions.

I'm fairly certain there were no facts given that required support. It's called an opinion. Just like you have one, so does this person.

There is a difference between an uniformed opinion and a fact based conclusion - and you can bet, the facts support me.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

people who suffer from mental health are actually more likely to be victimized than hurt someone else