Is this a suspicious incident?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Why?

The Romans and the British might disagree with you on that one.

and just like you, they would be wrong.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    the greatest nation in the history of mankind. Why?

The Romans and the British might disagree with you on that one.

Is that why there are no more Romans? Because they were so great? They were just so awesome they ceased to exist? :laugh: :laugh:

And if Britain so great, how did they let the entire US secede? What about the Falklain Islands? Or India? The Sudan? Egypt? South Africa? Or the Caribbean?
    Or maybe because, at the height of their power, they were considered to be the greatest nations in the history of mankind.

My point is I sure hope that the US is not the greatest nation in the history of mankind because it would suck that we did all that work and ended up with this screwed up place.

Soooo, by that logic, someone who USED to be the richest guy in the room but recently lost every penny should still be considered the richest guy in the room?

Does not compute.

I suggest you re-read your post.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I think you're overreacting a little. If you were scared, sure - it was a good idea to get out of there.

But to assume the truck was faced the direction it was because of you... To assume the truck left because you spotted them... To assume the truck came back and was intentionally turning toward you... all in an attempt to abduct and do horrible things to you.

Possible? Sure. Plausible? No more than any other theory at this point.

The truck could have been facing the direction it was because... that's how the driver chose to park. My husband will generally choose to pull through a spot instead of having to back out. Maybe this driver does too.

The truck could have left because you creeped them out... Or because they didn't want to appear creepy by continuing to sit there. I've been parked in a lot - waiting for someone or killing time - and left because I didn't want people to think I was up to something.

The truck could have come back later because the driver assumed you would be gone by then... I do that in the previous example.

And the truck could have been turning toward you because that was the path toward the spot they wanted to park... Just like they had to drive past you to leave, right?

Keep yourself safe.. Stay alert... And get out of there if you are scared. But don't assume they were out to get you... Not everyone is a deranged psycho looking to rape you just because you're 18.

:drinker:

idk about you guys, but if i am in a parking lot and the only car there, see people and leave, then come back a little while later, it's because i am looking for a place to chill and :smokin:
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this since there seem to be so many anti-2nd Amendment folks here on MFP, but if you don't want to change your walking routine, then concealed carry is a great solution.

Better yet, open carry.

That'll give anyone a second thought before approaching you and your mom.

YES I knew we were friends for a reason ;) I FULLY support women who carry. Even if you're not comfortable with a fun, a small pocket knife or a keychain can of mace will certainly do the trick to ward off an attacker or FEND off an attacker.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this since there seem to be so many anti-2nd Amendment folks here on MFP, but if you don't want to change your walking routine, then concealed carry is a great solution.

Better yet, open carry.

YES I knew we were friends for a reason ;) I FULLY support women who carry. Even if you're not comfortable with a fun, a small pocket knife or a keychain can of mace will certainly do the trick to ward off an attacker or FEND off an attacker.

yup. i always walk, day or night with my pointiest key sticking out in my hand. i used to be a case manager and always have to go to the ghetto of down town cincinnati, even during the day there were still nut jobs out everywhere. it's sad that you have to be so careful but really you never know these days
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Women should always always always listen to their instincts. If you are concerned about it, and it sounds like you are, don't walk alone, take your cell with you, and don't walk at night. If you see the truck again you could call your local police non-emergency line and tell them what you saw.

This...and know how to defend yourself...just in case.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Better yet, open carry.

However, if they both got so freaked out they needed to run because of a truck in a parking lot that hadn't yet made any form of threatening move, I wouldn't think carrying a deadly weapon is a good idea.

And carrying a gun is not an option everywhere nor do I think people should jump to carrying a gun all the time. But, everyone needs to do what they feel is right. Never carry if you aren't prepared to use it and haven't been trained to properly use it. Carrying without proper confidence or training will just do more harm than good. There are ultimately far too many guns out there and they are far too easily obtained... one reason I'm glad I'm in Canada. Not gun free but much much harder to get.

Please, cite the sources that you think support your misinformed conclusions.

I'm fairly certain there were no facts given that required support. It's called an opinion. Just like you have one, so does this person.

There is a difference between an uniformed opinion and a fact based conclusion - and you can bet, the facts support me.

Opinion is opinion. You can have yours and I can have mine. Doesn't mean one is right over the other but believe what you want. Nothing i posted was posted as a fact except the point where you cannot carry a gun everywhere.

Where I am, it is illegal to carry a gun, concealed or not. It is difficult to obtain a gun and is a long process through the RCMP to even get a license to possess them... however even with a license to posses a gun you cannot carry and unless you are on a range you cannot store ammo with the gun. Where I live Police don't even carry their guns while not on duty unless there was a valid threat against their lives. It is also illegal to carry pepper spray here (yet most get around that by carrying dog spray).

You are pro gun... I get that. Doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong. We have differing opinions on weapons.

Personally, and I'm sure a lot would agree (and disagree)... if you aren't confident using a gun and you aren't properly trained it can be more harmful to have one as it can and will be used against you if you don't properly know how to use it. Not knowing how to properly handle and use a firearm can result in innocent people being hurt or killed. When I was working with the Police in my home town far too often I would hear stories and see reports about a gun that got in the wrong hands or the hands of someone who wasn't prepared to use it or wasn't properly trained to use it.

My opinion... you don't have to agree with it or not but I'm not wrong (and you're not wrong) just because we don't agree.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    From this side of the pond the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave" is looking more like the "Land of the Besieged and the home of the Scared of their own shadows".

I'm so glad I didn't move over 20 years ago when I had the opportunity.
    I wouldn't want to live in fear.

It's too bad you feel that way. I wouldn't want you to live in fear either. It would probably be best if you stayed over there.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The reason I suggested contacting the police involved the fact that she said they'd been there multiple times at the same time. A parking area with a vehicle that's always there at the same time - near a church - and not a place that would have constant movement is suspicious. They may be checking out the church to rob it or they could be up to nefarious purposes.

I know near my school we've had at least 5 attempts at kidnappings of kids on the streets walking home over the past two to three years. The fact is that your gut instinct can be right. It certainly couldn't hurt to contact the police and ask them to verify that nothing serious is going on. What's the most that could happen - nothing. On the other hand, ignoring something and acting like it's delusional isn't going to help either.

Heck, a friend of mine and I were leaving the movies and we noticed a van parked in an odd place. We both felt like something was off so I pulled out my cellphone and aimed it as if I was taking a photo....they left real fast on seeing the cell phone come out so I suspect we were right. Trust your instincts!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    True story: A young woman was walking to a friend's house and it was starting to get dark so she decided to walk along the railroad tracks, thinking it would be safer than the open road. She came to an intersection where the railroad tracks crossed a road, she looked around and didn't see anyone near by so she thought it would be safe to get off the tracks and walk along side the road for the rest of the way. After just a few minutes of walking on the road, a truck came along beside her and stopped. As the passenger window was rolling down she noticed an older man leaning across the front seat of the truck, he said, "young lady, it's getting dark you shouldn't be out here alone." She said, "I'm okay, I don't have far to go." He asked her where she was going and she pointed down the road and said just a short way that way. He said, "let me give you a ride." She said, "no, that's okay, I'll be fine." He asked her if she was sure, then added you'll be safe with me, I promise, I have a granddaughter about your age. She looked at him and thought he looked harmless enough and really thought she would be okay. She got in the truck and as he drove off she noticed he wasn't going in the direction she had pointed out just moments ago. She asked him where he was taking her and he told her to shut up and stay quiet and he wouldn't kill her. He drove her to a secluded, wooded area where he put a knife against her throat and raped her. Although that night was horrific for her, she feels extremely fortunate that he didn't kill her.

I think you were right to go with your instincts and run. You never know what the intentions of a stranger are and it's better to overreact than to end up in a dangerous situation.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    One other thought: It doesn't sound like either of you had a cell phone with you. If this should ever happen again and you did have a phone it wouldn't hurt to make a call, either to a friend/relative or to your home phone recorder, describing the van. This is assuming that you were not quite ready to call police. Although at that point it wouldn't hurt to do both of course.

Also, as has been described in other postings in this thread, and I've seen described elsewhere as well, it appears that simply taking out your cell phone and either making a call or pretending to make a call (or take a pic) while looking at the suspicious behavior can cause them to think twice and depart.

Bottom line is I try not to go anywhere without my cellphone anymore not just for the inconvenience of not having it but for the personal safety aspect.
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw in here...
    I love america.
    I love americans.
    I'm married to one.
    I drive a 1958 Plymouth.

I agree that America has been the greatest nation on earth. Just like Rome was once and Britain was once. Unfortunately it's had it's day now and it's time to hand over to China. But it has a fair amount of life left in it yet.

So again. I love the place and the people.

What I don't like is how you have all become so distrustful of everyone you don't know. You never used to be like this.
    I guarantee if you look at your own statistics, rape, mugging, murder, is probably no worse now than it was 30 years ago. You just think it is because of 24 hour news.

It's getting that way over here. People don't let children play outside on their own anymore because they might get abducted. Ignoring the fact the the number of stranger abducted children has stayed constant at 7 per year since the 1950s.

The media is making us all terrified of our fellow man and its bloody wrong.

For gods sake, this was a truck, in a parking lot. Where a truck is supposed to be. Not exercising women.
    I'm pretty sure a truck parked in a parking lot is not going to get the blues and twos going. (Sirens)

Ahh well...I suppose its too late for people like me, the paranoids have won.

But to put things in perspective, in this land where "only criminals have guns", I have never seen a gun, seen a criminal with a gun, known anyone that has been shot, or even threatened with a gun.

If someone gets shot here it makes the national news.

Perhaps if everyone stopped thinking everyone else wanted to hurt them the world might be a better place....
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I love america.
    I love americans.
    I'm married to one.
    I drive a 1958 Plymouth.

I agree that America has been the greatest nation on earth. Just like Rome was once and Britain was once. Unfortunately it's had it's day now and it's time to hand over to China. But it has a fair amount of life left in it yet.

What I don't like is how you have all become so distrustful of everyone you don't know. You never used to be like this.
    I guarantee if you look at your own statistics, rape, mugging, murder, is probably no worse now than it was 30 years ago. You just think it is because of 24 hour news.

It's getting that way over here. People don't let children play outside on their own anymore because they might get abducted. Ignoring the fact the the number of stranger abducted children has stayed constant at 7 per year since the 1950s.

For gods sake, this was a truck, in a parking lot. Where a truck is supposed to be. Not exercising women.
    I'm pretty sure a truck parked in a parking lot is not going to get the blues and twos going. (Sirens)

But to put things in perspective, in this land where "only criminals have guns", I have never seen a gun, seen a criminal with a gun, known anyone that has been shot, or even threatened with a gun.

Perhaps if everyone stopped thinking everyone else wanted to hurt them the world might be a better place....

*applauds* You sir are a good man I would love to know you in real life!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I actually think you are way over reacting to be honest.

1) The truck was parked there when you arrived. If the driver had watched you on previous occassions and was there FOR you, why in the world would they park out in the open so you'd see them as soon as you arrived?

2) You were in a parking lot. It isn't exactly that odd for a car to be parked in a parking lot, is it?

3) The truck left when you arrived. If they were waiting for you, again, why would they leave? Because you saw them waiting for you out in the clear open?

4) The truck came back - knowing you'd see them. If they were coming for you - again - why be so obvious?

There could be a million reasons why that truck was there, why it left and why they came back and I don't think any of those reasons involved wanting to kidnap you or worse.

My guess is that it was probably a young couple in the truck trying to have a "private" moment. They saw you arrive and figured they should leave. Then they waited awhile, and came back, hoping you'd be gone, but you were still there. If anything, they were trying to avoid you.
    If anything - whoever was in the truck was doing something that they didn't want you to see. I wouldn't worry about it and move on. But that's just me.

If I was going to be suspicious of every random car I saw parked somewhere at night, I wouldn't be a woman walking at night in an empty parking lot, through a graveyard. Just saying.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call the incident suspicious. It's odd and not the norm, but if it's cool for you and your mom to walk around the parking lot, it's cool for someone else to be there. Perhaps the individual was waiting to meet someone and, not finding them, went to check another location or to double-check the meeting place and came back? I've done that before- sat at the rendezvous point, waited past the agreed time, gone off to check another possible location, found nobody at that area, and then returned to the first point. Perhaps something happened at the church and someone noted they always saw 2 women walking around the parking lot at the same time in the evenings and the truck was someone from the church simply trying tokeep an eye out and verify YOU weren't behaving suspiciously.

We can "what if" the scenario all day long.

I'd just say you should feel free to carry on, but always be ready to listen to your gut. If something feels wrong, get out of there. If you keep seeing the truck, make a note of it and adjust as you feel best suits the situation. Just remember that, as I mentioned before, the two of you aren't the only people who could be in that parking lot for a benign reason.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Carrying a loaded gun is always a good deterrent for someone watching you. I know laws are different in all states but I would have one on my side (in plain sight) ever time I went for a walk if it were me.

I wouldn't freak out but I would be cautious for sure and like some others have said...mix up your route and your times!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While I think it's an excellent idea to be cautious, especially for us femaies, there is also a point where you can take it too far.

You're letting your mind get away from you. Nothing happened besides a little fear and you both did the right thing and went with your gut.

As others have said, since you weren't walking at your normal time, it's very likely that truck was there for some other reason besides ill intent towards you and/or your mother. They could've been working there. They could've been taking a break there. They could've been waiting to meet their drug dealer there. And since you couldn't even see the driver, it could've even been a female and there could've been kids in the truck.

Bottom line, there's no way to know. And no logical reason to think (besides that inner fear you felt) that whoever was in that truck was after you.

Stop wasting your time and energy worrying about it. Instead, take the advice given several times in this thread. Pick another walking route, keep altering your times so there is no "routine", arm yourself with pepper spray, bring your cell phone, bring a flashlight and never go alone. There, peace of mind! Do not let your fear keep you home.
  • sdpasque
    sdpasque Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love america.
    I love americans.
    I'm married to one.
    I drive a 1958 Plymouth.

Nicely said. I've never had anything happen to me or anybody else I know. As I explained in another forum, I grew up in a gun culture, have hunting rifles, but would never dream of carrying a gun in public. I've lived in seven states, including New Orleans and southern California, and again, never had anything happen. I'm cautious, but I move freely in society, as do the rest of my friends, without fearing that I may be killed at any moment. How sad and STRESSFUL to think that everybody is out to harm oneself?
  • Suezii_Q
    Suezii_Q Posts: 6
    Options
    I had a vehicle in the area I would walk my dog and did not recognize. The driver drove a bit erratically. I changed the time I walked but would still come across this vehicle. I told the police department in my city and they had a squad car patrol the area that I walked for a couple of weeks. Luckily the vehicle ended up being a new newspaper delivery person in my neighborhood.

However, if you let your local police department know that there's been a strange vehicle in the graveyard parking area around the time you walk and the feelings you get along with your experience they may put an extra patrol in the area and if they see the truck they will be able to run the plates and see who it belongs to.